Driving in the snow??

mixmasterlove

Contributor
Just wanted to see what people thought about the way there 5s handle in the snow. I was thinking of getting the new 6, but now with the snow we got in the east coast again I'm starting to think about an AWD 5 again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

And I posted a video: A Drive on a Snowy Road in the Lounge forum.

It handles very vell in the snow. All cars with higher ground clearance do.
My speed6 with AWD doesn't plow through snow w/ all season tires as well as the CX-5 does. The larger wheel gap allows the snow to spin off the tires, otherwise on passenger cars, the snow may get packed in the fender.

It handles very vell in the snow. All cars with higher ground clearance do.
My speed6 with AWD doesn't plow through snow w/ all season tires as well as the CX-5 does. The larger wheel gap allows the snow to spin off the tires, otherwise on passenger cars, the snow may get packed in the fender.

You must not have much experience driving in the snow. Many vehicles with very high clearances handle terrible in the snow because the high center of gravity causes most of the weight to transfer to the outside wheels during a turn. The only advantage of high ground clearance is that it allows you to drive through deeper snow without dragging the chassis. The CX-5 has higher than average ground clearance but is also better than average in snow handling because Mazda engineers kept the body weight down and equipped it with an excellent suspension that controls body roll very well.

Also, after driving regularly in mountain snow storms in the Rockies (USA and Canadian), the Cascade Range and the British Columbia Coast Range for over 30 years in a wide variety of vehicles (including commercial trucks, FWD, RWD, AWD and 4WD cars and trucks) I have never noticed that snow packing in the wheel wells was ever a significant problem. And, under the right conditions, it will happen with all vehicles. But the tire tread will generally abrade new deposits as fast as they form (once they build up enough to contact the tread).

Back