Loud whistle! Annoying, Please help!!

Does it have a CAI? I know my car has a similar whistle at 4k+ rpm after I installed a CAI. If not, there might be a hole of some sort in the air intake piping.

Is it coming from the speakers in the car or is it definitely coming for the engine bay? There may be some interference from some bad wiring. Just a thought.

Does it have a CAI? I know my car has a similar whistle at 4k+ rpm after I installed a CAI. If not, there might be a hole of some sort in the air intake piping.
No it doesn't and I have taken off the whole assembly just to see if it was an intake whistle and it still made the whistle even with the intake ducting off. It sounds almost like its coming from the alternator.
Is it coming from the speakers in the car or is it definitely coming for the engine bay? There may be some interference from some bad wiring. Just a thought.
No, I have shut off the speakers and it still makes the sound. It comes from somewhere in the engine bay.

Ever since I have had this car it has made an extremely loud whistle, Ive put up with it, but now im just getting sick of it. Here is a video where you can clearly hear what I am talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLBW5hqamq4 Its a 2003 Mazda Protege5 and no, its not turbo lol.

^^this. Even with the stereo turned off it can make that sound.....Are you using a wireless radio transmitter for your phone? if so, stop. or is your aux. cable plugged in to both your phone and stereo while it's off. Turn the radio down before turning it off, unplug all accessories and go for a drive.....no more whistle...get a better setup than what you have or maybe a different stereo even....and you will solve your problem.

Last edited:
^^this. Even with the stereo turned off it can make that sound.....Are you using a wireless radio transmitter for your phone? if so, stop. or is your aux. cable plugged in to both your phone and stereo while it's off. Turn the radio down before turning it off, unplug all accessories and go for a drive.....no more whistle...get a better setup than what you have or maybe a different stereo even....and you will solve your problem.
I would even go as far as unplugging the power to the stereo altogether and any other electrical device you may have in the car.

I would even go as far as unplugging the power to the stereo altogether and any other electrical device you may have in the car.

Ill try removing the fuse to the radio and unhooking the amps from the battery terminal to see if it has any effect. I bought this car with all the audio equipment installed and under the driver seat there is a terminal type thing that splits the connection for the 2 amps. It has green stuff built up on it, I wonder if thats causing an interference.

Ill try removing the fuse to the radio and unhooking the amps from the battery terminal to see if it has any effect. I bought this car with all the audio equipment installed and under the driver seat there is a terminal type thing that splits the connection for the 2 amps. It has green stuff built up on it, I wonder if thats causing an interference.

weird. could be moisture getting to the wires. remove that completely and if you're confident enough and need the amps then re wire them yourself

i have the same "whistle" as that in my p5..

at first, i thought it was coming from the engine bay, maybe the alternator squealing for some strange reason.. i didn't doubt it because i have an aftermarket soundsystem running ~1200w
then, i put my ear literally on top of the door panel for the driver speaker and noticed it was coming from there
it's called "electric sound" i think, i probably just didn't wire it good enough but i am pretty sure that is the fix for it

Yea turns out it is the radio, I turned the volume all the way down and shut it off and no more whistle. I am running a pretty big system in it, but I didnt wire it lol so I have no idea where I would start. Im decent with wiring audio though if anyone knows where the feedback could be coming from?

Keep your RCA's well away from any electrical devices. Especially fuel pumps...
Speaker wire should also be as far away as possible from electrical devices.

Can almost guarantee that's electrical interference/noise.

You can also put some extra in line filters to reduce it.

There is some green crap built up on the terminal under the driver seat, I wonder if that could be causing anything. Im going to wire brush it off and see if that reduces the noise at all.

It wouldn't help... But doubt that's your issues... With noise that' bad I would say that some rookie ran the RCA's down the same side of the car as the power. Lol

Dont have a roof rack. And ya I just looked and the power wire is ran down the same side as the RCA's -_-. Thats another project for another day. Gotta fix the bent crank pulley first :/

Back