Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CX9 oil consumtion-

CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

I already looked up "engine capacity"

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Gray Mica with Black Interior
    Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth /Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Rear Mats
    K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /2 Yakima ForkLift Bike Trays/ Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT421Q
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth & Mobile One Extended Performance filter
    Problems to date: Blower motor relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build, headlamp motors weak, windshield wiper plastic cap, rear strut leak.
    Mileage: 100k
    Job: Material Damage Adjuster

Registered Member

cx9

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
    On my last 2 oil changes I have noticed that my 2011 CX9 seems to be consuming about 1 quart every 6-7K miles.

which isn't of huge concern to me as many modern engines do consume some oil. But this hasn't been my experience with other Mazda engines or most other Japanese cars in general.

Has anybody else noticed the same?

I am using 5W20 synthetic oil and the car now has 26K miles and it close to 2 years old. We bought it new.
    This is not a Mazda engine. It's a Ford engine so your experience with other Mazda engines is irrelevant. Mine chugs oil too. Can't find a good reason for it. Seems to run fine. I with they had a better dipstick. I can barely read it.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Yes mine also consumes 1 quart of oil every 6mos or 6k which is when I do my oil changes. I use synthetic also. The engine is quiet and runs fine. The cx9 isn't the only car that does that.

Registered Member

CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
    On my last 2 oil changes I have noticed that my 2011 CX9 seems to be consuming about 1 quart every 6-7K miles.

which isn't of huge concern to me as many modern engines do consume some oil. But this hasn't been my experience with other Mazda engines or most other Japanese cars in general.

Has anybody else noticed the same?

I am using 5W20 synthetic oil and the car now has 26K miles and it close to 2 years old. We bought it new.

Regulations requiring higher fuel efficiencies from the government cause OEMs to get "creative" with how they go about doing it. Internal Engine Friction Modification is one of those "creative" ways. You can go about achieving friction modification a number of different ways and some of them will lead to burning oil as a direct result - namely compression rings, piston rings and oil control rings. Essentially, reduced internal engine friction requires less energy and thus less fuel consumption - leading to higher fuel economy and a satisfied government. The trade-offs are numerous including higher maintenance engines, lower compression and greater oil burn rates.

Unless you can smell burning oil and are only experiencing higher oil consumption with each oil check at the gas station or oil change, you are probably experiencing what many newer vehicles are going through today - especially if you have a DI engine design and even more if your DI is also turbo charged. 1 quart per 6K to 7K would not bother me at all. That's approximately the same as my oil change and tire rotation interval and I have seen 1/2 quart oil burn in my new 2018 CX-9 Sig with less than 17K miles on it - and I run the best 100% fully synthetic oil ever produced. However, my CX-9 sees 4-6 thousand RPM on a somewhat regular basis in order to keep the fuel injectors clean (ha ha) and the intake valves free from carbon build-up (ha ha, too).

I run 1 quart of marvel mystery oil through the fuel tank after filling up about every 2 months. That keeps the fuel system lubed and clean from the tank all the way to the injectors and I've never had a seal or compression problem. I've scoped my cylinder walls and valves and they look nearly brand new thus far - proof the marvel interval coupled with a few full throttle romps (quite fun in the CX-9) are indeed doing the job of keeping things cleaner than average.

Yet, I'm going to see higher oil consumption between oil changes because that's the way the regulatory environment cookie crumbles. Not much we can do about that given the newer tolerances designed into these engines. However, with the need for engines to burn out more oil comes the need to keep intake valves, cylinders and cylinder walls cleaner than ever before (augmented even more so with any DI gas powered engine).

Registered Member

CX-9 Signature

Is the 2011 PFI or DFI? Anybody.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring FWD

All first gen CX-9s are port injected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12