Mazda 2 Wish List for 2015+

c7scayman

:
96 Mazda Protege DX 1.5L
The new Mazda 3 and MX-5 are due out next year according to a few sources followed by the new Mazda 2 now that the new Mazda6, CX-5, and updated CX-9 are out.

I'm interested to hear your "realistic" wish lists for the next gen Mazda 2.

For me:
The 155hp 2.0L Skyactiv engine found in the current Mazda 3 and CX-5.
That should give it better than 40mpg and let it accelerate from 0-60mph in under 8.5 seconds. That should also be a cheap and affordable solution for Mazda since the engine is already designed/produced and is already in current Skyactive models.

I would also like more rear seat space, maybe another 3 inches of legroom while keeping or adding more trunk space. That would make a huge difference.

Sell a 2 door version, or do a better job of hiding back doors/handle like they did on the Chevy Sonic.

Make USB ports standard for charging phones and listening to music through MP3 devices. It is 2013 and USB ports are extremely cheap to add to cars.

Make the interior better looking and more male oriented while keeping the sporty round air vents. The current interior looks girly with what I call the bubble dash. It is similar to VW Beetle interior. In comparison, the Yaris' interior looks more male oriented in design.

Lastly, keep on offering the manual transmission. Mazda manual transmissions are touted as best in the industry according to many automotive journalists. Don't kill them off.

Last edited:
Seeing as I paid as much (slightly more actually) for the 2 Touring as a MZ3 Sport with similar trim, they should offer more features for the price you're paying (i.e. MOAR POWERRRRRRR!).

They also need to make a base model below the sport with crank windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, etc, and sell it for $11.5-12k. I think it's slightly odd that the cheapest 2 is basically loaded.

They also need to make a base model below the sport with crank windows, manual locks, manual mirrors, etc, and sell it for $11.5-12k. I think it's slightly odd that the cheapest 2 is basically loaded.

I would buy. BUT, driving a basic Mazda for 8 years with crank windows, manual locks, and manual mirrors, there were a few problems. If someone pulls up next to you, you have to reach over to crank the window down. Same with passenger locks and adjusting mirror. I'm used to it so I wouldn't pay $2000+ extra for power windows, locks, mirrors, but most others won't be willing to buy a basic 2. I'm sure the resale value would be poor as well for a 2 that basic.

They just need to lower the price. A Versa or Accent or Rio can be bought for $11,000 with power locks and windows and more. So Mazda should lower the price.

A better clutch!!!! Something with some feel, the stock clutch is the most vague I've felt in any vehicle. Also improved throttle response. Either do some work on the DBW system or run a cable. Throttle response, especially with the a/c on, is terribly slow.

I'd like to see a cheap, lightweight version geared toward motorsport enthusiasts that comes with steelies and cheap tires (to be upgraded by end user), a lighter battery (miata battery would be OK but not ideal), less sound deadening, and minimal power/electronic accessories. This version could sell for a couple grand less.

Another 15-20hp would be nice but most importantly I want the weight to stay where it is or go down. The 2.0L skyactiv motor would be nice, but I only see that happening in a mazdaspeed model.

An optional suspension upgrade package (koni/bilsteins, stiffer springs, tosion bar) and performance wheel/tire package would be nice.

A premium version with HID headlights and larger wheels.

Last edited:
You read my mind. +1

A better clutch!!!! Something with some feel, the stock clutch is the most vague I've felt in any vehicle. Also improved throttle response. Either do some work on the DBW system or run a cable. Throttle response, especially with the a/c on, is terribly slow.

I'd like to see a cheap, lightweight version geared toward motorsport enthusiasts that comes with steelies and cheap tires (to be upgraded by end user), a lighter battery (miata battery would be OK but not ideal), less sound deadening, and minimal power/electronic accessories. This version could sell for a couple grand less.

Another 15-20hp would be nice but most importantly I want the weight to stay where it is or go down. The 2.0L skyactiv motor would be nice, but I only see that happening in a mazdaspeed model.

An optional suspension upgrade package (koni/bilsteins, stiffer springs, tosion bar) and performance wheel/tire package would be nice.

A premium version with HID headlights and larger wheels.

I agree with the clutch. It was a bit too light. Suprisingly, the clutch of the new FR-S/BRZ is even lighter and more vague.

I don't think a SkyActiv 2.0l would be the best thing for the Touring MZ2, maybe more something like the 1.8l that was in the gen 2 Miata. 160hp would a lot of fun. Keeping the weight down is a must. The Standard MZ2 should get a 1.6l SkyActiv 120hp should be enough. Better clutch for sure.

On the Touring: rear disk brakes + standard Racing Beat spring + torsion bar.

Adding a tech package for the ones that wants it, nav, bluthooth, HID....

And why not a dome light out back? Why no dome light for the rear???

Oh yeah, a Mazdaspeed2 version plz, 180hp-200hp in a lightweight body...sound like fun!

Well, I agree with most of the wish lists items above, however there is one critical item that has been missed:

An audible alarm / warning for the low fuel level...a buzzer, a bell, anything!

I have actually run out of gas once already and have almost run out on 2-3 other occasions (lol2)

How do you miss the flashing lcd block, and the flashing E? I think this car gives more info about low fuel then any other I've seen. Plus you can always keep track of the tripometer if you reset it to know when you're getting low.

I know the 2 is all about being lightweight, but I want a bigger gas tank! Filling up 1-3 times a day is getting old...

Being the hillbilly of the group, I suggest an elcamino style mazda 2.

Being the hillbilly of the group, I suggest an elcamino style mazda 2.

Removable Rear roof/hatch, starting behind the front seats, with Rear seats that fold flat and have a rubberized back along with the rest of the rear hatch area, that way you would have both... it could be called the "Hatch-a-mino" option!

Removable Rear roof/hatch, starting behind the front seats, with Rear seats that fold flat and have a rubberized back along with the rest of the rear hatch area, that way you would have both... it could be called the "Hatch-a-mino" option!

Yes. I might give this a shot in another 300k miles or so-
camon1.jpg

For me:
The 155hp 2.0L Skyactiv engine found in the current Mazda 3 and CX-5.
That should give it better than 40mpg and let it accelerate from 0-60mph in under 8.5 seconds. That should also be a cheap and affordable solution for Mazda since the engine is already designed/produced and is already in current Skyactive models.

Agree with you. Since the current Mazda 2 is almost at the same price as the 3, why not make it a smaller more nimble 3 with slightly smaller interior and cheaper materials. The rest should be pulled straight out of the 3 including the 2 litre engine and both transmissions. It'll make the 2 the most powerful compact (apart from Fiesta ST) and it'll be as fuel efficient as the others.

Back