front wheel bearing

Nope... No seal on the CV side.
And that's a good point there. You are looking at 7-11K here for a sp20. 4-5 for something that is in crap condition.
But the more new models that Mazda keeps pumping out and the cheaper they drop the price of the 3... The cheaper thy become.

$5 k buys you mint here.

I paid $6,500 on march 25/09 at the time wholesale listed for $5575 and retail $7275. I got it undercoated the day I got it home. No rust except for a tiny bit at rear wheel wells. I fixed that up last year then caked the entire wheel well lips with copious amounts of grease. Looks great!! (but you're not allowed to look underneath)

Last edited:
High pitched metallic squealing doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Mine (I have replaced three) all sounded like a roaring noise and would change or go away when I turned the wheel a certain way at speed (reducing the load on the bearing). I would check the brakes first...they are a lot easier than the bearing, and if you have worn down the pads, they might squeal all the time. I'm not saying it isn't the bearing, just that I would check other things first before going for the bearing.
Good news, it's not my wheel bearing. Bad news, it's from my front brakes. The last time I changed out the front brake pads, the driver's side caliper didn't open up as easily as the passenger side caliper. I think this time, I am going to have to replace the front brake calipers along with the pads. It's kind of strange but the front ones that are larger cost less than the rear ones. I've already replaced the rear ones so it was pretty easy.

Good news, it's not my wheel bearing. Bad news, it's from my front brakes. The last time I changed out the front brake pads, the driver's side caliper didn't open up as easily as the passenger side caliper. I think this time, I am going to have to replace the front brake calipers along with the pads. It's kind of strange but the front ones that are larger cost less than the rear ones. I've already replaced the rear ones so it was pretty easy.

It's our "special" rear calipers with all that fancy gearing inside them for the P-brake that makes them expensive (and uncommon).

The mechanic didn't know about the hidden allen adjustment and charged me for a new caliper (he told me they were seized). That was before I started doing my own work.

I would say that's really just good news! Calipers aren't nearly as time intensive as a bearing. Are you sure a caliper is seized, or could it just be you need new pads?

yeah, the Protege5, mp3, and 2.0L sedans have those 'special' rear calipers...the Mazdaspeed's upgraded brakes have the normal twist-type piston retraction for the rears, and that is a hell of a lot less problematic...So anyone that needs to replace both rear calipers, just look for MSP rears...and matching rotors (if those need replaced too, but you don't have to immediately)...They are much simpler design wise, and won't have nearly as common seizing problems as the miles increase...

yeah, the Protege5, mp3, and 2.0L sedans have those 'special' rear calipers...the Mazdaspeed's upgraded brakes have the normal twist-type piston retraction for the rears, and that is a hell of a lot less problematic...So anyone that needs to replace both rear calipers, just look for MSP rears...and matching rotors (if those need replaced too, but you don't have to immediately)...They are much simpler design wise, and won't have nearly as common seizing problems as the miles increase...
Does the T-lug on the P-brake cable just hook right in?,... is the cable "throw" the same? Would I have to replace my P-brake cables?

Last edited:
I would say that's really just good news! Calipers aren't nearly as time intensive as a bearing. Are you sure a caliper is seized, or could it just be you need new pads?
Well, the rear ones would not open up, and yes, I know about the allen bolt to release the "self-adjusting" mechanism. When I got my new ones, the moving part of the caliper was easily removed and closed with hardly any force.
So, the front ones would open up but not all the way, just enough for new pads. I'm not 100% sure they are seized. Yeah, I would rather just change the pads. It would faster and cheaper for me. The whole rear caliper seizing ruined my rear discs too.

But, yes. Brake issues are much less of a hassle than wheel bearing issues. I've just been working on my car so much lately.

pcb...MSP rear brakes bolted up for me with no modifications...they bolt to the stock hubs fine...the parking brake is identical, and same cables and metal tabs fit in the same locations...

the only thing off would be using the stock rotors with the MSP calipers...it would work, but the pads would be out to the very edge of the rotor (as the MSP rotors are a little big larger in diameter)...so i wouldn't do that any longer than you had to...but rotors for either brake sets are only about $30 a piece from tire rack or something...

Not sure of prices individually...I have a full 'sort of big brake kit' from protegegarage, bought it in 2008 or so...it uses 626 V6 front calipers and rotors...and MSP rear calipers with 02-07 mazda 6 rear rotors...and the entire kit was only $400 iirc...so not bad all considering it had everything included, even with pads...

but i understand...anything "mazdaspeed' related creates a nightmare for aftermarket stuff...so I would suggest getting the actual factory part numbers from a dealership...as even rock auto would advertise some part as 'mazdaspeed', and it definitely wasn't...a few members ran into that trying to source Mazdaspeed 6 brake components...which are very large, and the biggest factory option that bolts right on to a protege...but there was a pretty big mix up with the advertised parts...

Back