Hi all new member here

whatusername

:
02 protege5
Hello all Hil I just joined this site and hope to learn alot bout my mazda i just bought. I purchased an 02 mazda p5 with a rod knock but am in the process of tearing it down n rebuilding it the best i could with what i have to work with.I hope to learn alot from u guys and 1day return the favor and teach another noob some things bout the p5. Lokking fwd to talking with u guys.

WUN.

Congrats on the car and welcome aboard. There is a ton to be learned in here. Good luck.

Yep enough info on here and a couple other places to do it all, but get FSM off here, there should be a link around.

Hi! I'm a noob on here as well. Congrats on your new car and have fun on tearing it down and rebuilding it! :)

Thank you.I was looking at pics of p5's and noticed some have fender lights n mine dont.. what is the difference in models? these are the pics of my car its silver n some idiot painted the sides n bumpers Matte black. The first is pic is when i bought it and it looks like the black is 2 different shades but it is not.. its the shadow.The 2nd pic is the next day after i dug out some rims i had from my old 626 turbo i only put 2 cuz i need to buy 2 more tires

Attachments

• IMG_20130202_083447.jpg
    IMG_20130202_083447.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_20130204_084213.jpg
    IMG_20130204_084213.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
These cars were only available in North America for 2 years,.. the 03 has fender lights, the 02 doesn't.
I hope the original owner wasn't hiding rust with that paint job.

Check to see if the VTCS recall was done on your car. You can call Mazda with your VIN number.

Look into the EGR, fuel pump housing and coil pack issues as well.

Here's the service manual link: http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum,

If you are rebuilding your engine it is the same to build forged for turbo as is for Stock replacement.

i have rebuilt several engines for my project MP5T and if you want to read up on the process, there is a how to section on the website www.mp5t.com

ask any question you have

These cars were only available in North America for 2 years,.. the 03 has fender lights, the 02 doesn't.
I hope the original owner wasn't hiding rust with that paint job.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ighlight=Krown

Another rust related link: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...er-heard-of-it

Check to see if the VTCS recall was done on your car. You can call Mazda with your VIN number.

Look into the EGR, fuel pump housing and coil pack issues as well.

Here's the service manual link: http://www.floptical.net/mazda/
TY i have already downloaded the FSM. The other 2 links about rust are dead. The car is pretty much in tack the interior is nice it has a moonroof its 5 speed and the only rust i have seen on the car is the normal rear wheel well on both sides and under the hood on pass side front inner fender part. i will take pics n post them but all in all i only paid 1500 for the car was that too much?

I guess those other links timed out or something. I paid $6,500 for my car 3 1/2 years ago. Now an average price is about $3,000-$3,500 for a car like mine. Prices really vary depending on where you live. The guys in California can't seem to find one for less than $4,500 some paying up to to $7,000. The rust has really taken a toll on the cars up here in Canada and the northern states especially with lots of salt on the roads.

There is a classifieds web site here called KIJIJI that lists tons of 02 protege's ranging from $400-$6,500. Once a car gets to be ten or more years old there can be vast differences between them. My car is in very good shape compared to just about every one I've seen on the road up here. Like you said I look at every one I see and look at the rear wheel wells.

I'm kinda wondering about the price you paid though because it needs major engine work, but if you do it yourself you can save lots of money, learn a lot and have fun while you're doing it. I might be inclined to think the previous owner may have neglected it or wrung the snot out of it to make it knock. My car has 210,000 km on it and runs perfect without burning a drop of oil. I really keep on top of regular maintenance including yearly rust proofing, it not only stops the rust but keeps solenoids and electric motors lubricated so they don't strain and burn out on you. I've been promoting Krown so maybe they shut down my link. I don't work for them or anything I've just had good luck with them. There is no Krown in the US but if you do go to get it undercoated make sure they drill the access holes to get the stuff up into where it is really needed.

Do a forum search for Krown. The links seem to work then.

Last edited:
Hey guys so i got my parts that i needed to rebuild the eng-crank, pistons, rods, bearings n gaskets and have my eng almost completely torn down.And the day before yesterday a friend of mine was at the local bone yard and told me they just brought a p5 into the yard while he was there n its complete except front end damage.p5's r rare out here in the bone yards n running ones they still sell from $3900 to 6k so i asked what was on it he said it had Tien STech springs so i said grab em n he did n hid them for me to pick them up. I went today n man o man it was a gold mine.. i got the springs got a 4-1 header and some performance engine mounts i was like a kid in the candy store lol.. it had leather seats i was gonna get them but some other guys showed up n took them and the roof racks i wanted.. pissed me off but anyways 25 for header n 9 each on springs and 6 each on eng mounts was a heck of a deal. so im a happy guy now. cant wait to put it all on.

Last edited:
Hey guys so i got my parts that i needed to rebuild the eng-crank, pistons, rods, bearings n gaskets and have my eng almost completely torn down.And the day before yesterday a friend of mine was at the local bone yard and told me they just brought a p5 into the yard while he was there n its complete except front end damage.p5's r rare out here in the bone yards n running ones they still sell from $3900 to 6k so i asked what was on it he said it had Tien STech springs so i said grab em n he did n hid them for me to pick them up. I went today n man o man it was a gold mine.. i got the springs got a 4-1 header and some performance engine mounts i was like a kid in the candy store lol.. it had leather seats i was gonna get them but some other guys showed up n took them and the roof racks i wanted.. pissed me off but anyways 25 for header n 9 each on springs and 6 each on eng mounts was a heck of a deal. so im a happy guy now. cant wait to put it all on.

Lucky lucky guy!!! Maybe I should take a trip to a few of the junk yards near me....?? lol

Lucky lucky guy!!! Maybe I should take a trip to a few of the junk yards near me....?? lol
lol yea maybe you should u never know what u will find.. imma go back n pull the trans hoping there's a stage 2 clutch under there lol.. it also had a GTSpec under frame sway bar but it was cracked n i aint gonna try n weld Aluminum...Does anyone know the size of the socket for the bolt to check/Add gear oil to the tranny?

Welcome to the forum...

The gear box drain/fill bolts are pretty big...I think they're 19mm, but might be 20 or even 21...haha, wish i could be more specific...i just remember it was barely bigger than my box end wrench set, which went up to 18mm...

Welcome to the forum...

The gear box drain/fill bolts are pretty big...I think they're 19mm, but might be 20 or even 21...haha, wish i could be more specific...i just remember it was barely bigger than my box end wrench set, which went up to 18mm...
yea i figured it out it is a 23mm i didnt have one so i had to go buy it

Ok update i completed the engine. Installed it n it runs but under a little acceleration. I hear a noise coming from the head. U don't hear it at idle or higher. Throttle there's just this sweet spot just above title where u hear it. Its like a deep head knock. Or something. Is there something.g on this head that could be causing it? Something known to fail?

Back