OEM alarm replacement?

Ward83

:
2003 Protege5
My alarm module seems to have crapped out a couple days ago. It randomly goes off and honks the horn, but not in a steady pattern like normal - instead, it randomly honks like a madman is wailing away on the horn. When I unplug the alarm module, all is fine. I'm thinking the alarm module is shot, but I can't seem to find a replacement one. Does anyone know a part number, or possibly other mazda models I can use one of these from? I'd rather not have to wire in an aftermarket alarm if I can avoid it.

Does yours have a sensitivity knob? The horn pattern is weird so that's normal. I know the ones that came one the mp3 can be set off by wind if the sensitivity is set too high

There is no sensitivity knob that I could see. The alarm has been working fine up until the other day, with nothing changed. That's what makes me think the module itself has gone bad.

Perhaps check your door trigger, if it is going bad, it could certainly cause some issues for your alarm.

Last edited:
Ah, that is definitely the same module I have. I didn't think to look for a separate shock sensor though. I may try disconnecting the alarm and only having keyless, but it would be nice to have a working alarm. I think I will disconnect the horn before I try hooking any of it back up, before my neighbors hate me for my alarm going off :p

I added it to my car for cheap off ebay for 47.00 in the oem box new. Scored a second setup later when others started mentioning having issues with theirs so I'd have a backup. Have not had issue with my first one. Looks like most places want about 140.00 for them from what I've seen.

My alarm would get set off simply by a garbage truck passing it when parked on the street...The adjustment stuff was in the owners manual, never had a problem since...

I did see, like others mentioned, that any of the door sensors failing will start to flip out the alarm...they are very cheap, and easy to replace, though...just have to figure out which one is messing up...with a bad sensor, the alarm will think the door is being opened without unlocking the car...so it goes off randomly...

These cars do have a ridiculous alarm sound though...the panic button is normal, it just goes off 'in tune' haha...but if the alarm really gets tripped, its ridiculous...

I spent 2 days figuring out about the door switches. Couldn't start the damn thing at all. Now I don't have to worry about it since it only locks out the starter and nothing else

These cars do have a ridiculous alarm sound though...the panic button is normal, it just goes off 'in tune' haha...but if the alarm really gets tripped, its ridiculous...

Hmm, so the random pattern of the horn is actually how it's supposed to work? I assumed it was malfunctioning because of that. Maybe my alarm module isn't shot after all, and something really is tripping it.

^oh yeah definitely...its all out of balance and crazy sounding haha...a thief probably wouldn't know whether to run...or laugh...

^oh yeah definitely...its all out of balance and crazy sounding haha...a thief probably wouldn't know whether to run...or laugh...

If you you have the owners manual for the alarm, the honk pattern is a feature called "real panic mode" or thereabouts-supposed to simulate a person in distress honking the horn :)

Before you go off and buy another alarm definitely find and turn down the sensitivity. I ended up buying two OEM alarm systems because I thought the first one (which was a return) was bad. Bought a new one from Mazda and had the same problem. Turned down the sensitivity in the shock sensor and no problems for about a month now so far... the reason yours did not act up until recently might be due to the fact that as the alarms get older, they (in effect) become more (overly) sensitive as time passes.

At either rate, I think it's less of a malfunctioning module as it is a design flaw, considering the brand new alarm did the same thing.

Find the shock sensor and turn the little white knob counter clock wise to decrease sensitivity.

I hate my alarm..lmao. One day I was at Wal Mart on my way back to my car. As I was walking to it, an Evo drove past my car and the alarm went off. I still had my keys in my pocket at the time. So, the alarm is going crazy and all I hear across the parking lot is: "oh s***, somebody's car is about to blow up"..lol. But yeah, it sounds normal when you press the panic button. Oh yeah, I have Hella Supertones too, so that adds to the chaos..lol

I dig the random chaotic honking pattern. It actually sets it apart from other alarm sounds that people hear all the time and just ignore. This one actually gets the "WTF is that s***?" from people. Yeah, you can thump the rear window and set it off if the sensitivity isn't turned way down tho, much less thunder or loud deep bass exhausts passing by.

Back