Running nav from iphone on 2014 screen?

scimitar42

:
2014 6
Just got the first 2014 6 off the dealer lot. I have the screen but not navigation, because I didn't want to pay for the upgrade it and Ive never seen a built in navigation that wasn't crap.

I'm considering have the dealer install the tomtom chip for 500 at some point, but id much rather find a way to run google maps off my iphone. Has anyone worked a way to hack the screen to use it has a second screen for the phone instead ofjust pulling music over it?

I havnt seen any legit way to do it. Im quite sure in time there might be work arounds. Ima wait all together and see if its possible to remove head unit and put in a pioneer double din. Might need another 100 dollar frame like the gen 1s

You can get a Pioneer AppRadio unit and run Waze GPS from your phone, Waze GPS >>>> Google Maps Navigation. That'll set you back about $500 + the costs of integrating the system so you don't lose steering wheel functionality, etc., but it seems infinitely more useful. You can run Spotify off your iPhone right on the screen for example.

Are we still able to use the back up camera and the command switch with AppRadio?

You can get a Pioneer AppRadio unit and run Waze GPS from your phone, Waze GPS >>>> Google Maps Navigation. That'll set you back about $500 + the costs of integrating the system so you don't lose steering wheel functionality, etc., but it seems infinitely more useful. You can run Spotify off your iPhone right on the screen for example.

Last edited:
We are working on a unit that replaces the tom tom nav slot in the 2014 cx-5, i believe its the same in the 6

This is from my forum friend who is working on it as well
1) WP9900 from Wonder Proud company. is an Android Car Navigation Box running 2.3.5 that can connect to the OEM TouchScreen. This device can output the 480*272 resolution like the Tomtom Nav from Mazda. Additionally you can mirror the signal from your android phone via mirrorlink. I have asked regarding the compatibility of this device to the Mazda CX-5:

"Hi Iker

WP9900 is USD360/pcs including 3G and wifi.

However; for Mazda CX-5 USB navigation,
we’re now on the way developing for USB support on our navigation box.
It could take a while to finish.

Would you like to try WP9900 before the solution is ready?

Best regards,
Rox
Wonde Proud Technology Co. Ltd."

Advantages: Android Engine (for Navigation) + mirroring
Disadvantages: Only Android compatible. I don't know dimensions and perhaps do not fit on the area for the Tomtom NAV system (the place I want to use due to the wire system is already there).

http://www.wondeproud.com/product_16...tfeatures.html

2)MimicsX2. This system is provided as small PCBs. It can mirror HDMI/MHL signals from Phone (via cable) from the device to the Touchscreen. The touch pressing is sent to the phone by bluetooth.
Phone <- Cable HDMI/MHL -> MimicsX2 <-Cable->Touchscreen <-Bluetooth-> Phone
It has a MicroSD slot for future upgrades.

Advantages: Android & Apple IOS mirroring compatible
Price: 209 AUS Dollar
Small enough to fit inside the place for the Mazda Tomtom NAV system.
Disadvantages: Only for mirroring. But it is solved as the phone is the CPU for everything. Supplied as PCBs

http://www.customgadz.com/store/cate...?id_category=2

I have seen a video of somebody using this MimicsX2 without wires by using the Allshare connectivity from Samsung (Galaxy NOte2)

The people is using on the Headunits by opening them and inserting this kind of PCBs connecting them to the Touchscreen signal and connecting back to the touchscreen.
In our case (CX-5) I thicnk we can do it by using the wire set left by Mazda for the NAV system.

we have to know if the wires of the NAVsystem from Mazda are enough to mount this system:
- how many wires to the Touchscreen (2/4/8)
- Voltage..
- Etc..

If you want to this mount an ipad. I doubt mirroring will ever be a reality here. I work with all the OEM head unit providers. This is considered as drivers distraction, something most OEMS frown upon. Honestly the option to add the nave was good considering I'd rather use a tablet anyways. Cheaper and easily upgradable. Keep in mind auto manf is 4 yrs in the making. That new car with fancy head unit was designed in 2008. :)

Back