Protege5 vs Subaru outback or honda CRV?

Blanco1

:
1991 Miata
Hello from Los Angeles, I'm new to the site, I was on my way to work today & saw a nice Protege5 on the fwy so I did a search & found they are AWD & thats what I've been researching wanting to buy soon.

I'm looking for an AWD wagon with room for 4 adults & a large enough cargo area in back for our large dog.

I've been thinking a lot about the Subaru OutBack & Honda CRV's, I want something for light random Off Roading & something that could also be towed behind my RV from time to time?

Appreciate your help in this..

I currently own a '91 Miata & love the little car.
img_1362.jpg

What engines do the P5's have?

The subies have an opposed 4 & 6 & I'm not sure how much I like that & they tend to have Head Gasket issues, seem they all end up having to replace them down the line somewhere...

What issues do the P5's have?

No the P5's arent AWD here in the states they are FWD Ovr seas there is a version that is AWD but we dont see them donw here

Awd is pointless unless you get alot of snow or go off roading. The protege does fit 4 comfortably.

Since you do off roading you might want to look into something that sits up higher like the crv. Out of your list as far as reliability versatility and long lasting I would go with the crv

Forget the voice of reason....source a used Fieldbreak edition and get it cleared for stateside use. Then again...a CRV would be cheaper. lol Nice NA too!

autowp.ru_mazda_familia_s-wagon_field_break_2.jpg

AWD isnt pointless you dont need snow or to go offroading to have it. AWD is awesome I loved my N/A Impreza OBS the handling was awsome with stock suspension and no rear sway bar i was keeping up with MS3's and Evo's in the twisty's but we traded it for a Forester which is AWD as well. IMO every vehicle should be AWD they are just better handling vehicles better turning radius and launching.

The ADM cars are never as good it seems as what is available overseas.

The P5 was sold as the SPORT-20 Astina

If you got the right one, it looked similar to the Protege 5 except that it was shorter, lower, came with a fully mechanical AWD system (Similar to the 80' Audi Quattro Drive) and a 170 HP Normally Aspirated engine.

Awd is pointless unless you get alot of snow or go off roading. The protege does fit 4 comfortably.

Since you do off roading you might want to look into something that sits up higher like the crv. Out of your list as far as reliability versatility and long lasting I would go with the crv

I do like having the option there for minior off road, I do like sand & dirt & snow & with AWD I'd be less worried about going into it.
& to be honest we spent X-Mas in north AZ. & there was lots of snow & ice & having AWD would just make me feel a little better off, We were in my 4x4 truck & when it got slippery I'd put into 4x4 hi & continue with a bit more confidence, I'm not use to drive on snow covered roads,( being I live in Los Angeles ) so it did feel good having 4WD in our truck.

AWD isnt pointless you dont need snow or to go offroading to have it. AWD is awesome I loved my N/A Impreza OBS the handling was awsome with stock suspension and no rear sway bar i was keeping up with MS3's and Evo's in the twisty's but we traded it for a Forester which is AWD as well. IMO every vehicle should be AWD they are just better handling vehicles better turning radius and launching.

Thats a very good point the guys I know who love to race the Subarus Rave about the AWD handling.

Yeah once i get my money right im getting another Subaru i really miss my Impreza OBS so im gonna get a WRX hatch later on

Outback Sport

Yeah they dont have enough room for my dog either, I'm gonna have to get the full sized OB & I'm thinking I want the VDC?
I'm not sure what it is though?
Seems to be a better designed suspention/traction on the OB's?

Last edited:
My moms vibe is awd and isn't worth a damn as far as handling. I don't see an NA impreza hanging with an evo or ms3, unless they were just cruising. My mp3 isn't even on the same level handling wise as an evo

My moms vibe is awd and isn't worth a damn as far as handling. I don't see an NA impreza hanging with an evo or ms3, unless they were just cruising. My mp3 isn't even on the same level handling wise as an evo

What is a VIBE?
Is it a wagon?
I'm wanting to look at all the options for my quest.

It seats 4 pretty comfy plus an 80 lb pitbull. It has 105k and nothing major other than o2 sensor and purge canister? Does awesome in the snow with 17" tc rims and summer tires. Took it up a jeep trail for s**** and giggles and it did pretty good

It seats 4 pretty comfy plus an 80 lb pitbull. It has 105k and nothing major other than o2 sensor and purge canister? Does awesome in the snow with 17" tc rims and summer tires. Took it up a jeep trail for s**** and giggles and it did pretty good

You talking about the Vibe?

Back