Brake Shoes ?

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I would like to verify this. I was looking for rear pads on a mazda online dealer site. I curiously looked under parking brake and they list brake shoes for like 48 dollars. Does the 9 have brake shoes inside the rotor. I have only seen this on tv in a ford explorer. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yup. When you take your rear wheels off you will see a hole in the hub of the rotor. It mights have a rubber stopper in it. If you intend on taking off the rotors maker sure you align the hole up with the adjuster wheel at 12 o'clock. They make little tools to turn the adjuster wheel, but I have just used a small screwdriver. rotate the wheel, I believe toward you and down, several rotations. this will retract the brake shoes and allow you to pull the rotor off after removing the rotor retainer screws. If you do not retract the internal parking brake shoes first, you risk damaging the braking mechanism by pulling the rotors.

Has anyone ever replaced these brake shoes. My brakes only squeal when i go in reverse to park or backing out of my driveway. I am thinking that it is the shoes because the parking brake pedal is lower now. If anyone has any ideas as to what this maybe all responses would be greatly appreciated

I have the same squeal issue, but it is not the shoes. I have centric ceramic brake pads and for some reason only like to go forward and complain when cold and in reverse. If you are backing up and hear the squeal and depressing the brake pedal ceases the sound, then is most likely the brake pad itself.

Secondly the brake shoes should hardly ever have to be replaced. Usually only three reasons cause this. Driving with the parking brake on for a long period. Leaving the parking brake engaged for months on end, thus causing the shoes to fuse to the hub. Lastly, damaging the shoes while removing the rear rotors.

Hi Lindy! I have an '07 CX-9 and I had to replace the passenger side rear wheel hub assembly. In the process I disassembled the parking brake and I guess in the re assembly process I missed something. Now only the driver side parking brake engages and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I'm pretty sure I need to re adjust the parking brake shoe. Do you (or anyone that can read this) have the steps to do so? On the Parking brake topic, when I lifted the CX-9 for the job I noticed the ebrake cable had a lot of slack. Is that normal? Anyone has the way to tighten that up? Thank you!

The squeak is caused by high frequency sticking & releasing & sticking & releasing of the pad against the rotor. The noise comes from the steel backing plate of the pads against the cast iron of the caliper. New pads and cleaning the rotor work. If the pads still have ample material, they can be removed, very lightly sandpaper the glaze off the pad material, put anti-squeal goop (either rubbery stuff or brake caliper lube) on any shiny spots where the steel plate has been rubbing. Sandpapering and washing the rotor with brake cleaner is also a help. It happens in reverse because that direction of rotation moves the pads to a slightly different spot in the caliper.

Hi Lindy! I have an '07 CX-9 and I had to replace the passenger side rear wheel hub assembly. In the process I disassembled the parking brake and I guess in the re assembly process I missed something. Now only the driver side parking brake engages and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I'm pretty sure I need to re adjust the parking brake shoe. Do you (or anyone that can read this) have the steps to do so? On the Parking brake topic, when I lifted the CX-9 for the job I noticed the ebrake cable had a lot of slack. Is that normal? Anyone has the way to tighten that up? Thank you!

Take it apart again and use the other wheel as reference. The service manual is your friend.

The squeak is caused by high frequency sticking & releasing & sticking & releasing of the pad against the rotor. The noise comes from the steel backing plate of the pads against the cast iron of the caliper. New pads and cleaning the rotor work. If the pads still have ample material, they can be removed, very lightly sandpaper the glaze off the pad material, put anti-squeal goop (either rubbery stuff or brake caliper lube) on any shiny spots where the steel plate has been rubbing. Sandpapering and washing the rotor with brake cleaner is also a help. It happens in reverse because that direction of rotation moves the pads to a slightly different spot in the caliper.

PTguy, FYI, you are responding to 4 year old questions.

Back