Touring vs Grand Touring Gauge cluster difference

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
Hi all,

For those of you who have bought a CX5, can touring and grand touring owners chime in about what type of screen is in their right gauge cluster?

I think the sport and touring's have the standard blackish blue background with fixed white lettering screen.
13161227-instrument-cluster-of-new-mazda-cx-5-crossover-suv-at-its-launch-in-singapore-on-13-apr-2012.jpg

Then Grand Touring has an actual red display "screen" that can show pictures and stuff, but I can't find a picture of it.

I'm curious to see how the information is displayed differently.

I wonder if the 2014 model will let this display trickle down to the touring. Or if the grand touring will get the same screen that's in the 2014 mazda6.
2014-mazda-6-sedan-instrument-cluster-photo-478572-s-1280x782.jpg

yeah they all have that same white on black information panel on the right, i think it might be international models that have something different

I think what happened is that I sat in a 2014 CX5 Grand Touring with out knowing it was a 2014.

I'm looking to buy a 2014 touring and now I'm curious about this different screen. Mazda's website's pictures on the cx5 still show the 2013 gauges.

My 2014 GT (Which I pick up in three hours!!) had the right gauge that almost looked like electronic ink (like the kindles and stuff) but I didn't see that particular graphic that your pictures shows.

The bottom picture is for diesel equipped CX-5s with i-Eloop. Watch how the redline is at 5K rpm (instead of 6,5K for gas engines). Unless we have a diesel option, or maybe the i-Eloop technology for 2015, we're not likely to see that cluster in our NA models!

My 2014 GT (Which I pick up in three hours!!) had the right gauge that almost looked like electronic ink (like the kindles and stuff) but I didn't see that particular graphic that your pictures shows.

Hrm....the screen I'm talking about is red in color with somewhat large pixels. It can display things like a little graphic of the car showing which door was open.

The bottom picture is for diesel equipped CX-5s with i-Eloop. Watch how the redline is at 5K rpm (instead of 6,5K for gas engines). Unless we have a diesel option, or maybe the i-Eloop technology for 2015, we're not likely to see that cluster in our NA models!

The picture I posted is from a 2014 Mazda 6.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Which models will come with this screen? Will it be ones with a tech package? or would it be only in the GT? or all...

The picture I posted is from a 2014 Mazda 6.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Which models will come with this screen? Will it be ones with a tech package? or would it be only in the GT? or all...

IMG_2578.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG

this is on the SE-L model which equates to Tourer in the usa. We don't have the equivalent of your sport on sale in the UK as we only get the top 2 trim levels. Our sport is like your grand tourer... sigh the model names are different in mainland europe too...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Dad of Jon!

Is that from a 2014 year model? And are those pictures of the same screen? It's interesting to see the diagram of the car be red, but the other lettering be white.

Thanks for the pictures Dad of Jon!

Is that from a 2014 year model? And are those pictures of the same screen? It's interesting to see the diagram of the car be red, but the other lettering be white.

No problemo,

I'm not sure which model year, it was built in October 2012 if that helps. I think it's exactly the same spec as the first ones sold in the uk. The web site doesn't have any different model/spec from when i bought mine. The new colors aren't on it yet. Speaking of color, the display also does orange as a speed warning alert. So I think the screen is probably a full color screen. I think Mazda are going for the minimalist , understated look on that screen.

I just went to the dealer yesterday to investigate.

So far, from what I can tell, this display is featured in any 2014 model with the tech package.

To my surprise, the same screen is dual colored. Showing red for the door ajar animation, but changing to white when the car is powered on and when driving. When the car is on, you can toggle the screen to show things such as range, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, average time driving and a settings menu to adjust an assortment of options such as blinker volume, or blind spot monitoring beep volume. You can also adjust the intervals at which the car will warn you to change the oil, rotate tires or when to check tire pressures.

I'm hoping this screen will be implemented in all trims, since I'm only looking for the touring without the tech package. I'm on a quest to find out!

I just went to the dealer yesterday to investigate.

So far, from what I can tell, this display is featured in any 2014 model with the tech package.

To my surprise, the same screen is dual colored. Showing red for the door ajar animation, but changing to white when the car is powered on and when driving. When the car is on, you can toggle the screen to show things such as range, instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, average time driving and a settings menu to adjust an assortment of options such as blinker volume, or blind spot monitoring beep volume. You can also adjust the intervals at which the car will warn you to change the oil, rotate tires or when to check tire pressures.

I'm hoping this screen will be implemented in all trims, since I'm only looking for the touring without the tech package. I'm on a quest to find out!

Yes, what you are describing is exactly how my 2014 Touring works. Looks like the first picture of this thread but also has the Red door warnings and displays the info you reference above.

The 2014 GT CX-5 has a dash that looks exactly like the one for the 2014 Mazda6 picture from above. Obviously we don't have the i-eloop though.

The 2014 GT CX-5 has a dash that looks exactly like the one for the 2014 Mazda6 picture from above. Obviously we don't have the i-eloop though.

I have a brand new 2014 GT without tech package (got a great deal). My instrument cluster does not have the red door adjar screen so it must be a tech package add on. I do however see a I-Divi wording in the top of the instrument screen but its grayed out and never illuminated. Cant find anything about it online or in the manual can someone advise?

View attachment 200780
View attachment 200781
View attachment 200782
View attachment 200784

this is on the SE-L model which equates to Tourer in the usa. We don't have the equivalent of your sport on sale in the UK as we only get the top 2 trim levels. Our sport is like your grand tourer... sigh the model names are different in mainland europe too...

Can you use it as a digital speedo at all? I've just orders my CX5 but am curious about the digital speedo. Have one on my Audi A3 and love it.

Can you use it as a digital speedo at all? I've just orders my CX5 but am curious about the digital speedo. Have one on my Audi A3 and love it.

No, it doesn't. They didn't make as much use out of the screen as they could have done.

No, it doesn't. They didn't make as much use out of the screen as they could have done.

Thanks. What a shame. Really looking forward to this car but wish it had the digital speedo and DAB radio; not the end of the world I guess but seem like silly little things to have missed out.

This is humorous. When cars started using digital speedometers to cut costs, driving enthusiasts lamented the loss of real analog gauges.

Now there is a new breed of enthusiasts who prefer digital.

From a purely practical perspective I prefer analog speedometers because I can "see" how fast I'm going at a glance (and it is a more visual, less cerebral, representation). This is especially helpful if my speed is changing rapidly either due to hard acceleration or braking. Digital displays either lag behind or look like "88".

Back