Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 touring 2017

2017 CX5 Touring - need help with getting access to the license plate lights. I checked the manual and it says just wedge under the lens and firmly lift them off. Now, perhaps it's just me, but I'm scared as hell I'm going to break these lenses off or snap the arms off them. Has anyone done this for the 2017 version yet and can you verify that you simply wedged something under it (what did you use) and popped it off. The 2016 and prior look a little different from the current one and I'm just not sure about snapping it off without breaking it. Looking for suggestions.

2017 CX-5, GT AWD w/Premium Pkg Eternal Blue Mica

Getting ready to turn in my '15 GT so pulled the VLEDS Tritons out of the front/rear turn signals and rear tail/stop light housings to put the stock incandescents back in.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the 1157NA bulb for the right parking/turn signal light. The VLEDs Triton unit was brighter in the dim parking light mode than the incandescent 1157 on it's bright flash mode. On flash, the Triton was very bright. Definitely no problem being seen on a bright sunny day. At night, you see the reflective road signs far ahead of you return the flashing.

I don't see where the '17 CX-5 uses the 1157NA bulb so I may be offering this for sale. The other VLEDs I took out will be retrofitted into the '17 where appropriate. The next owner of my '15 will benefit from the VLEDS fogs and DRLs I left in.

Registered Member

2004 Honda Civic Coupe and 2000 Toyota Celica GT

Vleds hasnt updates their site for the 2017s yet. Any guides on what to purchase through them to replace all internal lights?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2016.5 Touring w/Tech

Same question, but also - since there are like a million often contradictory posts on this topic - any consensus on good LED replacement bulbs for the interior, primarily overhead/map lights? I'm more interested in good than cheap as I've read too many posts where someone says what a great deal the bulbs were but that they only lasted for six months. In my case, for a 2016.

Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech

Quote Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post
    Same question, but also - since there are like a million often contradictory posts on this topic - any consensus on good LED replacement bulbs for the interior, primarily overhead/map lights? I'm more interested in good than cheap as I've read too many posts where someone says what a great deal the bulbs were but that they only lasted for six months. In my case, for a 2016.
    all mine from superbright leds are still burning bright after 5 years

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nuclfusion View Post
    Vleds hasnt updates their site for the 2017s yet. Any guides on what to purchase through them to replace all internal lights?
    All interior lights in 2017 CX-5 are the same as 1st-gen's as Mazda didn't make any changes for those. So basically you need five 30/31mm Festoon LEDs for map/dome/cargo lights、two 29mm 2,800K "warm white" Festoon T6 fuse type LEDs for vanity mirror、and two 194/168 type LEDs for license plate. You can always pay more for name brand LEDs but they normally don't use the latest LED chips. I have cheap eBay LED kit installed for 17 months and so far so good. Not all eBay LED kits are the same. You've to check the specs and reputation!

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport/ Meteor Gray

does anyone know where I can get a vanity lighting kit? I have the sport trim which didn't come with vanity lights but I'd like to add them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    All interior lights in 2017 CX-5 are the same as 1st-gen's as Mazda didn't make any changes for those. So basically you need five 30/31mm Festoon LEDs for map/dome/cargo lights、two 29mm 2,800K "warm white" Festoon T6 fuse type LEDs for vanity mirror、and two 194/168 type LEDs for license plate. You can always pay more for name brand LEDs but they normally don't use the latest LED chips. I have cheap eBay LED kit installed for 17 months and so far so good. Not all eBay LED kits are the same. You've to check the specs and reputation!
    Installed the same cheap eBay kit as you last week. Highly impressed so far. Great little addition...

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    These are the ones I ordered from VLEDS for the interior festoons. They gave you a choice between 5K and 6K color temperature bulbs. I chose 6K since I had a black interior. The 6K bulbs gave a pretty 'cold' feel to the lighting quality. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with the 5K. I did choose 6K for the rear license bulbs and was pretty happy with those. Ran everything for 35 months and not a single failure although VLEDS indicates the one I have linked are on closeout.

The fade feature Mazda uses when the interior lights go out does cause the LEDs to dim then flicker before going out.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Anyone wonder about the 'tiny' backup lights on the 2017s? Fear not, they are LED and very bright.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
    Anyone wonder about the 'tiny' backup lights on the 2017s? Fear not, they are LED and very bright.
    Yep Mazda at least did an easy LED upgrade on backup lights for new CX-5. I wish they had done LED upgrade on more complicated turn signals!

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

I did the unthinkable and ordered a bulk buy of inexpensive ones off ebay. Enough to do both the new CX-5 and replace the other cheap ones I currently have in my 3. Those ones were found in my spare parts bin and they were insta-swapped in (also bought from ebay for my last car and never put in). No issues with even the ones currently in my 3, but they're a little less powerful than the ones I've ordered for the new car.

Oddly enough, interior LEDs were one of the first things my wife noticed lacking in the new one on the test drive (her previous car had factory interior LED lighting) and she specifically asked me to "fix" it for her LOL.

Hard to turn down enough bulbs to do 2 cars for <$10. Just have to wait for them to arrive sometime between now and the next 2-4 ish weeks.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Reedman99 View Post
    2017 CX5 Touring - need help with getting access to the license plate lights. I checked the manual and it says just wedge under the lens and firmly lift them off. Now, perhaps it's just me, but I'm scared as hell I'm going to break these lenses off or snap the arms off them. Has anyone done this for the 2017 version yet and can you verify that you simply wedged something under it (what did you use) and popped it off. The 2016 and prior look a little different from the current one and I'm just not sure about snapping it off without breaking it. Looking for suggestions.
    The lens are easy to take off. insert a small flat scredriver into the *sides* of the lens. There is a small indent post there. Spread the back support a bit and they will pop off. The bulbs are harder to get out as it's difficult to grab the bulb and pull it.
    I did wedge the same small screwdirver in the middle of the bulb and they finally popped out. Thought I was gonna break the bulbs.
    i used 194 LED's from superbright. Oh and it's on a 2014.

Registered Member

2016.5 mazda cx-5 touring

Love the new 5730 t10 leds. Mind you look how much lights hitting the ground. $10 better than the $20 phillips I installed on my 3

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reedman99 View Post
    I too, had a go at getting the lenses for the license plate lights off. My '15 had a pliable translucent lens which would easily pop off. The '17 uses a rigid clear plastic lens which doesn't seem to budge when prying it with a flat bladed screwdriver without fear of cracking the lens. I've studied the drawing in the manual but it's little help. Can't easily see how those black plastic ears inside the slot engage the clear plastic. Shaped like a V.

Someone smarter than me is going to have to figure it out.

EDIT: Issue resolved. Please see this post
    Last edited by Pipemajor; 05-14-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast