The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

I've seen several 3rd party LED conversion installs for OEM tail lamps and they looked a bit disappointing. We own a 2010 Camry Hybrid with the clear treatment LED stop/tail lights and they are pretty bright. I saw a ruby red assembly on another Camry non-Hybrid which had LEDs the full width of the fixture only they just weren't as bright. Also seen some on Silverado pickups. The tail lamps by themselves are OK but the stop lights looked pretty wimpy. When I stop, I want the person behind me to know it.

Another trend I don't like is when manufacturers use only a portion of the tail light housing for the stop light.

Anyone going to try these?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/morimoto-xb-led-t10-194.html#.U21Y6q1dVy8
I want to try it.. but a bit pricey and not sure how the heat is on it if you use it long time (5+ hour drives at night, etc.) since it would go into my license plate light if I do get one. Still haven't upgrade my car's interior to LED yet. Waiting for sales or new versions :D
xb_led_t10-6_1.jpg

I would hold off on these for a little bit. So far the supplier has fallen short on quality control. Seems the main issue right now is bad solder joints. They perform phenomenally but need to work out the bugs still.

I would hold off on these for a little bit. So far the supplier has fallen short on quality control. Seems the main issue right now is bad solder joints. They perform phenomenally but need to work out the bugs still.

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it on hidplanet. Lot's of defective bulbs sent out and a few failing ones after a while of usage.

194/T10 wedge style bulb. I can get a picture for you tomorrow night if you'd like pic of a comparo between a 20smd 194/T10 wedge versus the factory incandescent bulb.

Also take into consideration that the brake light bulb goes in at an angle that is not even close to being the center of the reflector housing.

And never put a white LED behind a red (ruby) lens. The LED white has a lot of blue which is filtered by the ruby lens and will greatly affect quantity of light. Always put a red LED behind a red lens, amber LED behind an amber lens.

Only had time today to install my rear V-led RED LED bulbs.

I got the right angle bulbs for the outer lights: LINK
With the white heatshrink wrap it makes for a tight fit in the socket, but they can take the extra push to get them in firmly. These bulbs have dual polarity so you can stick them in either way, of course you would want to stick them in so they angle outwards of course.
My3oXW7l.jpg

Before:
hS6c1dsl.jpg

Afer:
gbWghFil.jpg

For the inner rear light I got these: LINK
Pretty straight forward install, if they don't light up, take them out and install them the other way around.
fXopMebl.jpg

Before:
BJgC6kPl.jpg

After:
euBOJyXl.jpg

With the red LED's (they're a much deeper and brighter red) make the incandescent brake light look very pale, thankfully it won't stay that way for too long. I'm planning to install my brake-light Triton V3's tomorrow, I will update my Triton thread with pics.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Lots of info in this thread, and I am an LED rookie.

I have a 2015 AWD w/ tech coming in. This means I should be able to simply swap in some LED bulbs for my DRLs. What is recommended for longevity, brightness (at least as bright as OEM filament bulb), and colour (white, no blue)?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-SAMSUNG-1...ccessories&hash=item4858b30153&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HID-Xenon-Wh...ccessories&hash=item3ccabe3f25&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1 (say 6000k though....)

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/p13w/6k-white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-p13w-1-pair.html

Open to other ideas around same cost.

Thanks
John

I'm pretty partial to V-LED's. They seemed to have raised their P13W prices pretty high, I bought mine for 39.99 last July and so far they have given me no problems.
I feel like you would be okay if you ordered the same CREE bulb design from a different brand.

Stay away from those led towers, they will not be as bright as the CREE models. CREE will be brighter than stock, if you want white stick with 5K.

Good luck with the mods!

I'm pretty partial to V-LED's. They seemed to have raised their P13W prices pretty high, I bought mine for 39.99 last July and so far they have given me no problems.
I feel like you would be okay if you ordered the same CREE bulb design from a different brand.

Stay away from those led towers, they will not be as bright as the CREE models. CREE will be brighter than stock, if you want white stick with 5K.

Good luck with the mods!

Ya, $60 is steep. Shipping via FedEx to Canada means bending over for brokerage too.

Cree would be the type shown in the "Samsung" eBay link and VLEDs link?

Thanks

I installed my interior LEDs last night. Made a mistake and overlooked the rear cargo light so will put in another order if I go DRLs and switchbacks. I chose the 6K 29mm festoons from VLED and their 6K 194 bulbs for the license plate lights. Today I'll be installing the 5K H11 fogs. VLED has the 921 bulbs for the rear backup lights on backorder.

I have the HID-equipped Grand Touring model and felt the 5K fogs would match up better with the 4300K HIDs.

For contrast, I left one of the vanity lights stock and can't believe the difference! The 6K lights produce a very clean, white light making the stock incandescent look odd. I plan on eventually retrofitting the DRLs.

While the interiour LEDs do dim and fade out per the control unit, I do notice a slight flicker just before they start the fade process. Perhaps I'll grow into it but it is noticeable.

UPDATE: Just completed installing the H11 5K fog lights. They went in without a hassle - just learn how much of the plastic panels you have to loosen/remove and have skinny forearms like myself - I do play the pipes but don't weigh near as much as Fat Bastard featured in my avatar.

The 5K choice appears to be a good one as the fogs and HID headlights are now approximately the same color temp. I didn't have to fiddle with the metal shields since the VLED H11 bulbs fit right in. Unfortunate that I do lose the 2 forward-firing LEDs behind the convex lens on the bulb but the 8 side-firing LEDs appear to be adequate. I did a compare after installing the first but didn't take a photo since I have to be somewhere very soon.

UPDATE2: Installed the 6K P13 DRLs this afternoon. Look pretty nice - definitely noticeable from the warmer DRLs you see all the time.

UPDATE3: Installed the 6K 921 backup LEDs yesterday. They had been on backorder. Had the car in the garage, put it in reverse w/power switch on. My neighbor, who is a car technician, had just pulled into his driveway and saw my backups on. He came over to say how great they looked.

Last edited:
Can I run a 50W H11 LED bulb for fogs? Looks like most replacements are 50-55W for halogen, but will the LEDs get too hot in the fogs? I want same output as a halogen at least

You won't find any that actually produce a usable output with a proper beam pattern. The high output ones have a horrible beam pattern and do generate quite a bit of heat. If you get one of those, be sure it has a fan on it.

Food for thought for those who are interested in the Hellst H11 LED replacement bulbs for the non-tech pack HID equipped CX-5's. Proves that not every LED option is better than a filament replacement.

"Comparison: Hellst H11 LED, H11 LL, H11+100, H9"
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...wall-amp-lux-comparison-LED-H11-LL-H11-100-H9

Part 2:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...amic-driving-evaluation-LED-H11-LL-H11-100-H9

Our foglights use H11 type bulbs as well. Having experimented with a variety of halogen and HID types in the same housing, I decided that a 2500k color converted H9 bulb was best.

These reviews were also posted and discussed right here on the Mazda 5 forum.

I would add that currently NO LED option is better in our projector housings...

Hi, first post here. Can anyone help clarify something regarding LEDs.... Can the same LED bulbs be used to replace both the DRLs and the fogs?

Also, these look like a good deal to me... Any reason I shouldn't buy?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thanks for the help.

I don't like the tower LEDs with vast numbers of small SMD chips. My VLEDs have fewer but larger chips and seem plenty bright. I went with separate 5K H-11s for my fogs and the 6K P-13s for DRLs on my HID-equipped Grand Touring.

The problem with an unknown supplier is no one has done the testing for you. Some LEDs are very good, others, not so good. They're pricey but I'd prefer to spend the money on something I know is well-proven.

Back