The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Never again am I trying iJDMTOY again: cheap products, poor customer service.

I will stick with VLEDs though. I'm not sure what happened with the newer editions of their P13W bulb bases, but my previous version plugged in perfectly fine.
When did you buy yours from VLEDs? I bought a pair of sale 6000k P13W bulbs for $40 last June.

When did you buy yours from VLEDs? I bought a pair of sale 6000k P13W bulbs for $40 last June.

Just last week... I bought the 6000k P13W and they had the same fitment issues as the iJDMTOY ones. They actually look like they're from the same manufacturer, and they probably are. :)

The also sent the wrong license plate lights in the first order, but the new ones got here today. :) I decided to install those and then also see what else I could do for the DRL lights so I didn't have to send them back for a refund. I really like them and didn't want to have to send them back.

I went to Lowe's tonight and grabbed a couple of plumbing/automotive metal hose clamps. I tightened the clamp a little on the factory harness, then plugged in the bulb and tightened it down more to where they won't come loose. They look great!!

These are the bulbs I used:

DRL:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/p13w/6k-white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-p13w-1-pair.html (keep in mind these didn't fit right but I was able to make them work and they look good)

License:
http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...d-2w-high-power-bulbs-194-168-158-1-pair.html

Here are some pics:
One old and one LED
isyAllkrs6bDM.jpg

Both new:
iWrFbbCwylZzY.jpg

Side shot:
iJbWrlnoUU8KE.jpg

License:
iRU8K6rd1g1tL.jpg

Anyone ever try one of these H11 5000K CREE CXA kits for GT fogs? https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

They're being sold by multiple vendors on eBay and run between $75-100.

They're most similar to VLED 4000 lumen kits for headlights or fogs, only these come to 3600 lumens.

I was most curious about whether or not they'd fit into/behind the fog light housing area, more specifically into the housing without hitting the little cone? I could not find the dimensions. There are mounting holes on the ballast kits, so I was thinking about e-taping and zip-tying the whole assembly to something in proximity to the housing.

Hopefully someone knows or could speculate whether or not these would fit...

I logged in and checked my account, I ordered the P13W_6_XB_W_6K back in July when they were 39.99 as well.
That's the same ones I ordered, on Aug 8 of last year. Don't know why mine didn't clip on.
They plug in fine, I was just looking for the click that the OEMs have when you plug them in.
Anyways, they've had no problems, hella bright!

I thought about the same retro fit using the X5 LED fogs as well. It will definitely require much more space than our H11 housings.

If you have the tech package and want to avoid this guy's DRL confusion...

The HIDs power up just fine. So do the amber marker lights. Just the DRLs that are dark. It's been too cold to stand outside and ponder the fuse block for too long, and I'm afraid to pull them out willy-nilly. I don't want anything else to reset.

DRL's don't operate with the vehicle in PARK. That is all.

Hey guys,
I am fairly new on the forum but I've learned everything I could in order to make my decision and as of yesterday I am a proud owner of a 2014.5 CX 5 Sport and I love it . Absolutely love the feel and responsiveness of the handling and throttle.

Anyways , I am not sure I read about it but I was wondering; is it possible to add LED strips on the Sport model or to run with the DRLs ? I know they don't come with fogs lights but more for an appearance look than for better visibility .
Any input would be appreciated or if it has been answered please steer me in the right direction as i didn't find any concrete info regarding that. Thanks in advance ,and I am really thankful for the amount info on the forum here.

Hey guys,
I am fairly new on the forum but I've learned everything I could in order to make my decision and as of yesterday I am a proud owner of a 2014.5 CX 5 Sport and I love it . Absolutely love the feel and responsiveness of the handling and throttle.

Anyways , I am not sure I read about it but I was wondering; is it possible to add LED strips on the Sport model or to run with the DRLs ? I know they don't come with fogs lights but more for an appearance look than for better visibility .
Any input would be appreciated or if it has been answered please steer me in the right direction as i didn't find any concrete info regarding that. Thanks in advance ,and I am really thankful for the amount info on the forum here.
Read this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831285-CX-5-Ebay-Fog-Assembly-DRLs

So, I'm still trying to decide which LEDs to buy and why. More questions:

1. For SMD switchback turn signals, where have you mounted your resistors? Or do you let them hang? If you let them hang, is it safe enough to do so?

2. Guess my earlier question was a bit vague. Anyone running 1800-2000 lumen CXA CREE for FOG lights? How do they fit? Any modifications needed to/in/behind the housing? Any heat or performance issues?

(Also, being an LED thread, there have been a lot of foggy explanations and withholding / spoon feeding information, plus some others can't remember what they did. Really? And this isn't an HID topic, either. This thread could honestly be 8 pages long and not 16.)

I let my load resistors hang, but that I used clamp splicers. My 6ohm resistors hung for a year before I swap them out for 3ohm's two months ago (more resistance, much hotter). Still left them hanging without a problem. The void space is plenty, and the clamp splicers are secure.

Let me return my $25 bulb and go grab a $100 bulb that isn't 4x brighter but 4x the price. Lol

I can guarantee that V3 Tritons are brighter than all your LED bulbs put together. have you tried them? Im sure you can buy and try and if youre not satisfied then return. Ive tried ALL Leds bulbs from superbright, diodedynamics, etc and spent tons of money only to be disappointed. yes, theyre expensive but well worth it. give it a try!

FYI, if anyone wants to try these, new for 2014 from CREE are MT-G2 diodes, which are even brighter than CXA diodes. I guess it's because there's some type of Fresnel magnifier mounted right on the diode. VLED is going to carry these by the end of April in H11 5000K temp at $130 per set, with extra small controller modules.

In either case, looks like the Max operating temp of CXAs and the like is approximately 200 degrees F, and the luminosity even after decay is still over 2000 per bulb. If you use these for fogs (which I intend to do), I believe the 55 watts will be interpreted by the controller as high beam function (both diodes ON) for Max brightness!

If anyone's tried high powered dual LED bulbs for their CX-5, I'm HIGHLY interested in hearing about your experience. A Miata owner on a different site reports these being brighter than their old Silverstars.

Otherwise, for $80 per set, I'll be happy to try a pair.

Last edited:
you need to make sure and post that the p13w drls are only for tech package equipped vehicles
non-tech really can't get led drl replacements since it also doubles as the high beam

also, the ones vleds show i've seen several things on it saying the light output diminishes greatly after any extended time driving because the cree's heatup a lot, i wouldn't recommend those, jdmtuning has some multi led p13w's that are very bright and dont suffer any ill effects from running for any period of time

also i'd suggest checking superbrightleds.com for bulbs (other than p13w's) they have a great selection of types, sizes and colors, and tons of technical information about the bulbs, more so than any other site i've seen

So for the non tech package we can't replace the DRLs with LEDs ? I don't like the yellow of the DRLs was looking around for whites ones.
Can this be used to replace the headlights or not ? http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/h-series-bulbs/led-product/1278/2955/ ?

groovinD - You can switch your DRL to LED, but you NEED bulb size number 9005. The link you mentioned is for bulb size H11, which is your HEADLIGHT size.

IF you replace your headlights (driving lamps) with LEDs, you'll NEED a high powered LED kit with a minimum brightness of your current bulbs' 1300 lumens or higher. The very new CXA or MT-G2 (search around for it) technology has long broken the 1800 lumen barrier and is rapidly getting better, as the newest (MT-G2) bulbs are moving well into the 3200+ lumen territory (VLEDs hasn't even tried these yet).

BUT, back to DRL, bulb 9005. If you want nice BRIGHT DRLs, NEED a kit that comes with "decoder" resistors. The resistors allow the DRL to operate at high beam power all the time. I'm not sure how well "flashing other drivers" will work in the daytime once installed (you might lose ability to do it), but I'm sure others have played around with it.

What you'd be looking for is either:
Low light output SMD product (- 500 lumens): https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
A much better CREE product (upwards of 1000 lumens): https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

None of these are "dirt" cheap, but for the price you'd probably go with the second one.

Now, back to your headlights. H11 LED HEADLIGHT kits run about $70-200. Depending on the lens, these *might* work better in non-HID housings than if you were to buy an HID kit for your existing housing. LED headlights have not been extensively tested, but have gotten good results with some peoples' vehicles. We'll need LED guinea pigs for non-tech CX-5 headlights.

Last edited:
So for the non tech package we can't replace the DRLs with LEDs ? I don't like the yellow of the DRLs was looking around for whites ones.
Can this be used to replace the headlights or not ? http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/h-series-bulbs/led-product/1278/2955/ ?

There's a disclaimer on the page you linked to that states : These bulbs are suitable for Daytime Running Lamps only - they do not produce enough light for useful illumination at night

So, they can't be used as headlights. I have seen some, but very few that have enough output and distance to be used as a headlight replacement.

... AND on a less technical note, I ordered these today:

DRL (P13W): 80 watt "apparent" 16-SMD LED, 8-900 lumens per bulb, with 4xCREE magnified up top and 12xEpistar down the sides. $40
FOG (H11): 40W each side COB (panel) LED, 3200 lumens per bulb, with small heat sinks and controller modules. $75

Both sets are 6000K.

Will report back with pics and results!

Last edited:
Back