The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

I've noticed my front turn signal switchbacks stay on white too for awhile after I shut the car off but not the LED daylight running lights like on yours.

So, it finally got dark outside and I decided to go take a look at the new LED bulbs I just installed. When I put my CX-5 to neutral, I get the full 6000K Xenon White shine 68 SMD LED. However, when I turn the park light on (hand brake on), I notice that the LED's are still running, but only 26 of the 68 were running.. not bright, but still running (shown below).

23uwmd2.jpg

2mfg4zq.jpg

I then turned off the CX-5 and walked away, I noticed it was still on. It stayed on for approximately 1 minute and 38 seconds before shutting off. After it had completely shut off, I decided to lock it with the key fob (even though it had automatically locked as I walked away) and noticed it turned back on again (shown below).

14bqky1.jpg

Anyone else notice this? Is that common for these LED's?
This happened to the pair I bought off of eBay. I guess accessory is still on after you turn off the car & the LEDs draw little power for them to light up very dim.
As long as they stay off, you're fine.
I always checked mine to see if they were on.
They started flickering after a few months so I bought another pair from vleds, they didn't stay on after the car turned off.

This happened to the pair I bought off of eBay. I guess accessory is still on after you turn off the car & the LEDs draw little power for them to light up very dim.
As long as they stay off, you're fine.
I always checked mine to see if they were on.
They started flickering after a few months so I bought another pair from vleds, they didn't stay on after the car turned off.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the sharing.

Any chance you have a pic of those installed?

Here it is (license blurred). These are the 2W/115 lumen lights from VLED at 5K colour temp (you can see the HIDs reflecting off of a wall for comparison)
uc

As you can see they are plenty bright. Any brighter and they'd be awkwardly competing with the brake lights.

yea I have cree drl's and sometimes on one of them the led in the projector will stay very dimly lit for a bit. Otherwise 1.5 years and no issues with my leds.

Residual power in the circuit takes time to discharge for something with as little draw as small LED's. This is especially apparent in circuits with large capacitors.

all your LEDs mean nothing if you havent installed vleds v3 tritons. best bang for your buck!

What is the purpose of making the licence plate so bright? I would rather hide it. I have installed dark Plexiglas covers over them. The plates, blend better with the car then those bright white plates.

What is the purpose of making the licence plate so bright? I would rather hide it. I have installed dark Plexiglas covers over them. The plates, blend better with the car then those bright white plates.

It's not necessarily to make the license plate itself so bright. At least for me, it's just to get rid of the yellow tinted incandescent bulbs that come with the car. You could still have your dark plexi over the plate itself, just with a cleaner, whiter light emanating from the bulbs.

(iagree) What he said. It's about having the same color temperature white light all around. That's why I mentioned the LED lights I got were plenty bright.

I do hope you realize that the plexiglass cover over the license plate is 100% illegal in all of California. Any covering over the main plate is illegal but darkened it's even worse with police (they can cite you for intentionally trying to obscure and not just violating the ordinance.)

(five-0)

Sometimes 1st world problems suck too... After having issues with the iJDMTOY DRL lights I received, I ordered some new ones from VLEDS and I have the same problem. The P13W bulbs don't fit correctly in the harness so it won't lock. It appears the pins are too long for the shallow harness. I tried modifying the iJDMTOY bulb and still couldn't get it to fit, then was only able to get half of my money back. Also, I ordered license plate LED lights from VLEDS and they sent me the wrong color.

Pain in the a$$...

Sometimes 1st world problems suck too... After having issues with the iJDMTOY DRL lights I received, I ordered some new ones from VLEDS and I have the same problem. The P13W bulbs don't fit correctly in the harness so it won't lock. It appears the pins are too long for the shallow harness. I tried modifying the iJDMTOY bulb and still couldn't get it to fit, then was only able to get half of my money back. Also, I ordered license plate LED lights from VLEDS and they sent me the wrong color.

Pain in the a$$...
The ones I got from vleds didn't clip in either so I dremeled the notch off & used electrical tape to secure them. They have not disconnected since last summer.

LED Strip lights from Japan

Check out what I found on YouTube. Thought this would be the appropriate place for it (2cents)

Japanese_LED.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EanLyATtymQ

Another video, with all permutations of headlight LEDs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqQgJYD4Qew

I'll keep digging for more info, I'll post the details when I find it!

Edit: Found the product website, still trying to find if it'd even be possible to ship these to the USA. Doesn't look good at the moment (notcool)
http://www.amon.co.jp/products/topics/led/?tpl=motion

Last edited:

Pain in the a$$...

OUCH!

I don't know why people go with iJDMTODY or VLEDS, I've been using http://www.superbrightleds.com/ for years, the quality is good and so much more cost effective. I hade some number plate and parking light LEDs running for years on my Subaru and am just about to replace my CX-5 interior lights now

I don't know why people go with iJDMTODY or VLEDS

Never again am I trying iJDMTOY again: cheap products, poor customer service.

I will stick with VLEDs though. I'm not sure what happened with the newer editions of their P13W bulb bases, but my previous version plugged in perfectly fine.

Back