The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

I'm having troubles installing the LED light for the cargo area on the 2017 model. I found a video online for an for the 2016 model and its different. Any tips for the folks that have replaced that bulb in the trunk? I feel like I'm about to break the dang thing.

I'm having troubles installing the LED light for the cargo area on the 2017 model. I found a video online for an for the 2016 model and its different. Any tips for the folks that have replaced that bulb in the trunk? I feel like I'm about to break the dang thing.

The light you are talking about is a little different than the others. I used the orange tool provided in my Amazon kit and removed the entire lighting assembly rather than just the plastic panel like the others. The light appears to be a sealed compartment but it isn't. Detach the wire harness after you remove the entire assembly. Now you can see the tabs where the plastic panel attaches to the assembly. You can now pry off the plastic panel gently working the tab locations. Once you get the first one, you should be good to go. Test before reassembly to ensure the LED is in properly - and this one has a switch on the panel unlike the others. The entire assembly can then be popped back into place. Good luck!

I just did this last night. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, and it all came apart as described in the manual. When you pry off the clear lens, it will seem like it's going to break - just be gentle.

Check out these dual color LED lights. What I mean is when you turn them on they are white and then when you turn them off and back on again they are yellow. They are fanless and would make for awesome fog lights. Thought I'd share

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I saw that one on my friend's car. My flashlight beat the hell out of those bulbs. They're very weak. And just to add, my flashlight bulb is also XHP-70 by Nitecore. [emoji16] Same as my headlight bulb except more chips.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Found some OEMs style rear fogs on ebay for cheap from PRC $50.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
aBSeUf0.png

Led interior lights

Planning to take out the Original festoons.
Change them in Led, to get more space in the front i take out the metal lens.

Gr. Karl

I was worried they'd be blue, but they're not. I replaced both front back rear cabin lights, vanity mirror lights, and license plate lights. The license plate lights that are included are white but not brighter than the regular bulbs which I actually prefer. No need to have my plates light up from a mile away. ;)

The interior bulbs are all nice and bright and really light up this parchment interior at night. It looks really classy. Plus they don't flicker when the lights are turning on and off.
attachment.php

View attachment 216765
Just installed this light kit in our CX-5 and I must agree that for the cost this is a great value and high quality. I'm quite happy with the results and installation was a breeze with the tool that is provided with the Amazon kit. It's a good upgrade! Thanks for the tip!
I got the same from Amazon! But before I start, is there a short video how to replace them? I do have DIY skills but I'm just afraid I might do more damage to the plastic lenses

I got the same from Amazon! But before I start, is there a short video how to replace them? I do have DIY skills but I'm just afraid I might do more damage to the plastic lenses

Nelson - check out this video - he removes a lens cover at about the 2:00 minute mark - it isn't a CX-5 but the concept is the same. if the kit that you have has came with a tool use that to pry the cover off. The gentleman uses a guitar pick rather than the tool that might have come with your kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQSdL1c7qM

Visualize the covers as hitting a switch beneath them in your CX-5. Also visualize the lens cover as being clipped onto 2 small posts that jut from the sides beneath each cover.

I was hesitant to try this as well, but the lens covers were more durable than I thought they would be. You'll like the look when you get it done.

Nelson - check out this video - he removes a lens cover at about the 2:00 minute mark - it isn't a CX-5 but the concept is the same. if the kit that you have has came with a tool use that to pry the cover off. The gentleman uses a guitar pick rather than the tool that might have come with your kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQSdL1c7qM

Visualize the covers as hitting a switch beneath them in your CX-5. Also visualize the lens cover as being clipped onto 2 small posts that jut from the sides beneath each cover.

I was hesitant to try this as well, but the lens covers were more durable than I thought they would be. You'll like the look when you get it done.
Thanks man. I'll try that when I find time to relax,, [emoji16] Im still enjoying the "drive" of my diesel. [emoji1]

Question

I installed my LED on my 14Touring and when the bulb is locked into the housing the led chips face up and down. Would I get more / better output if I rotate it so the led chips face side to side? What direction is everyone else led chips facing once locked into the housing?

5000K VLEDs in 2017 CX-5 GT

I was hesitant to try this as well, but the lens covers were more durable than I thought they would be. You'll like the look when you get it done.[/QUOTE]

I just finished installing 5000K interior lights from VLEDs and low intensity 5000K license plate lights. All went in pretty easy once you figure out where to pry and the manual is reasonably helpful here. Imagining the rocking motion of the map/dome lights helps. Getting the cargo lens off took a little faith and getting the 31mm festoon into that assembly was the only one that seemed tricky.

I really like the look, looks great on the parchment leather. I can report that the VLEDs dim as smoothly as the OEM incandescent bulbs. I don't detect any odd flickering or other effects.

Still wish there were more lights in the cargo area, but the car looks a lot nicer now.

I was worried they'd be blue, but they're not. I replaced both front back rear cabin lights, vanity mirror lights, and license plate lights. The license plate lights that are included are white but not brighter than the regular bulbs which I actually prefer. No need to have my plates light up from a mile away. ;)

The interior bulbs are all nice and bright and really light up this parchment interior at night. It looks really classy. Plus they don't flicker when the lights are turning on and off.
attachment.php

View attachment 216765
And I still haven't installed mine yet. Hehe! Do they slowly fade like the incandescent bulbs as they are switched off?

And I still haven't installed mine yet. Hehe! Do they slowly fade like the incandescent bulbs as they are switched off?

In the post just before yours:

I can report that the VLEDs dim as smoothly as the OEM incandescent bulbs. I don't detect any odd flickering or other effects.

I installed the same kit and confirm that they fade like the stock incandescent units.

BTW ... on my GT the backup bulbs are alreaday LEDs ... no need to change.

In the post just before yours:

I installed the same kit and confirm that they fade like the stock incandescent units.

BTW ... on my GT the backup bulbs are alreaday LEDs ... no need to change.
Thanks. I was just trying to be particular because mine is not vled brand. It is to my knowledge that the "fading" is not inherent to all LED bulb types.

Thanks. I was just trying to be particular because mine is not vled brand. It is to my knowledge that the "fading" is not inherent to all LED bulb types.

True, not all LEDs are compatible with dimming/fading. I did go with VLEDs in my 2015 (6K) and now my 2017 (5K) CX-5. Thought the 6K bulbs were just a little too 'cold'. The VLEDs fade just fine.

I did have one older generation VLEDs 194 5K LEDs fail in the wife's Camry for the rear license lights. It started flickering but was just out of the warranty period. It was replaced with another similar VLEDs 194 I had laying around. Only failure I've had with a VLEDs product in 4 years.

Notice how many cars on the road have one or both incandescent rear license bulbs out.

Note on the 2017 GT CX-5 the only incandescent bulbs are the turn signals, interior and rear license. Everything else is OEM LED.

Last edited:
Back