The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

DO NOT ORDER SAMSUNG 9005 15 x 2323 LED, White, FROM DDM TUNING. They don't work as a DRL.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=370134

I placed an order for the 9005-15x2323 LED and they do not turn on as a Daytime Running Light. However, they do come on when I use the high beams. I called the Huntington Beach store and the representative there said that the bulb was not receiving enough power as a DRL. He said that this was a "hit or miss" item and that sometimes it doesn't work on certain cars. I'd need to buy a harness and then modify the harness in order for them to work properly as DRLs. I was under the impression that this product was plug and play. Since it is not, I've requested a refund from them.

DO NOT ORDER SAMSUNG 9005 15 x 2323 LED, White, FROM DDM TUNING. They don't work as a DRL.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=370134

I placed an order for the 9005-15x2323 LED and they do not turn on as a Daytime Running Light. However, they do come on when I use the high beams. I called the Huntington Beach store and the representative there said that the bulb was not receiving enough power as a DRL. He said that this was a "hit or miss" item and that sometimes it doesn't work on certain cars. I'd need to buy a harness and then modify the harness in order for them to work properly as DRLs. I was under the impression that this product was plug and play. Since it is not, I've requested a refund from them.

Because you have a non oem HID lights, the drl/high beam are dual mode.
Regular halogen bulbs are high beams, and during the day, they get lower power to provide as drl.
You can't use regular LEDs in there.

Are there any other solutions to fix the hyper blinking w/o the use of load resistors? To my knowledge those resistors get real hot and could end up melting the housing or wires. Unless todays technology prevents all of that. Someone please chime in. Thank you.

Are there any other solutions to fix the hyper blinking w/o the use of load resistors? To my knowledge those resistors get real hot and could end up melting the housing or wires. Unless todays technology prevents all of that. Someone please chime in. Thank you.

You have to use the load resistor. Most people put the resistor on the metal of their car. Don't let it touch any wires!

Unless you stick the load resistor onto plastic, it won't melt anything...

Anybody ever change a exterior bulb with the Auto headlight position on instead of off?
Manual states to have the setting on off vs auto.
I'm curious as to what would happen.

from a CX-9 guy to you CX-5 guys, thanks for the responses. I own the Gen 1 V3 Tritons and never used a load resistor. But since you guys do and have helped me out on where I should place the resistor, I am confident in trying it out. Thanks!

My load resistors have been hanging in free space, as the wires are secured with splice crimps on each end. The resistor does not contain enough mass to pose as a problem, and they are no where near any heat sensitive items.

I have been using it like this for nearly two years on both 6ohm 50w and 3ohm 50w resistors.

Where did you guys order from besides, Vleds, jdmtoy, superbrightleds, eBay, & Amazon.
The bulbs I wanted from superbrightleds are discontinued. They only have the warm white color & I'm afraid they'll be to yellow.
Saw some on Amazon for. Heap, but not sure if they're good quality.

Where did you guys order from besides, Vleds, jdmtoy, superbrightleds, eBay, & Amazon.
The bulbs I wanted from superbrightleds are discontinued. They only have the warm white color & I'm afraid they'll be to yellow.
Saw some on Amazon for. Heap, but not sure if they're good quality.

I actually have an issue with eBay, JDMToy, and Amazon. Their suppliers are not consistent. Say you buy one pair of LED's and one of them needs to be exchanged, there will be a chance that the exchanged unit will be from a different supplier. That also means an entirely different color LED even if both units are rated at the same kelvins (or so they say). That is speaking from experience :( . Not that I'm saying the cheap vendors don't have good units, but they are often a gamble in which you will lose. I don't mind using cheap units for the interior, but I'm not willing to gamble safety for exterior applications.

VLED and SuperBrightLEDs might be 1.5x-2x more expensive for a similar style unit, but they are quality units. I would actually rate VLED above SB-LEDs. VLED seems to have units with higher standards and are usually not cheap replicas, plus they back up their products with confidence and superior service.

Last edited:
I actually have an issue with eBay, JDMToy, and Amazon. Their suppliers are not consistent. Say you buy one pair of LED's and one of them needs to be exchange, there will be a chance that the exchanged unit will be from a different supplier. That also means an entirely different color LED even if both units are rated at the same kelvins (or so they say). That is speaking from experience :( . Not that I'm saying the cheap vendors don't have good units, but they are often a gamble in which you will lose. I don't mind using cheap units for the interior, but I'm not willing to gamble safety for exterior applications.

VLED and SuperBrightLEDs might be 1.5x-2x more expensive for a similar style unit, but they are quality units. I would actually rate VLED above SB-LEDs. VLED seems to have units with higher standards and are usually not cheap replicas, plus they back up their products with confidence and superior service.
I agree and have bought VLEDS leds for years.

I actually have an issue with eBay, JDMToy, and Amazon. Their suppliers are not consistent. Say you buy one pair of LED's and one of them needs to be exchanged, there will be a chance that the exchanged unit will be from a different supplier. That also means an entirely different color LED even if both units are rated at the same kelvins (or so they say). That is speaking from experience :( . Not that I'm saying the cheap vendors don't have good units, but they are often a gamble in which you will lose. I don't mind using cheap units for the interior, but I'm not willing to gamble safety for exterior applications.

I've used VLEDs for years also but they keep raising their prices.
$16 for a fastoon bulb & I need 3 for the WRX I have on order.
I priced out what I needed with VLED vs SB-LEDs & it was + $100 to buy what I need with VLEDs & <$60 with SB-LEDs.
I guess I'll bite the bullet & buy from VLEDs.

Last edited:
I priced out what I needed with VLED vs SB-LEDs & it was + $100 to buy what I need with VLEDs & <$60 with SB-LEDs.

True on the price increases.
Less LED choices than in the past too.
I try and wait for discount codes.

True on price increase. Check out their Facebook group or their forum posts for discount codes. VLED seems more up market in terms of LED's, with brightness and technology in mind. I don't use VLED's for my interior bulbs because I just want the white color with similar brightness to OEM incandescent. Hence the reason eBay/Amazon cheap disposable LED's work just fine for my interior uses.

VLED's are pricier, but brighter and more reliable than any other LED's I've bought. I am still rocking 3-4yr old units from VLED while most of my 2+ yr old LED's from eBay and Amazon have died.

Last edited:
I saw those TL's on eBay and they look to over done. They need to be simple and to the point. Those are more like rice n' tators style.

Hi, I have a 2015 cx-5 touring and I just replaced the 9005 DRLs with some LED that I got at diode dynamics. Now my DRLs don't come on, but they come on when I use the highbeams.
Whats up with that? I read somewhere it might be because of the voltage?

Hi, I have a 2015 cx-5 touring and I just replaced the 9005 DRLs with some LED that I got at diode dynamics. Now my DRLs don't come on, but they come on when I use the highbeams.
Whats up with that? I read somewhere it might be because of the voltage?
You've read correctly. It's been discussed multiple times right here. The touring's high beams are just the highs at half the voltage. LEDs don't like that. That and the fact that your high beams are probably not so good anymore.

You've read correctly. It's been discussed multiple times right here. The touring's high beams are just the highs at half the voltage. LEDs don't like that. That and the fact that your high beams are probably not so good anymore.

What do you mean by
That and the fact that your high beams are probably not so good anymore.
?
Also, so what am I suppose to buy then?

thanks

Back