The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

As promised earlier, here are the pictures of the new LED tail lights installed... Also I like the Mitsubishi Mirage

Thanks for posting that; I haven't been watching this thread but have been wanting taillights since last year. I saw these on ebay recently, I think I've decided on the "Black" (black trimmed, clear back, not tinted) lamps from Crystal Eye. I will be placing the order this week.
cx-58600.jpg

cx-511600.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a fog light LED trim and wiring it to come on with my park lights (You can't use OEM foglights with park lights only).

Hey guys! So, with a Touring model, I had issues use LED bulbs for replacing the DRL. Not only did VLEDs not know what to do, but other manufacturers and stores (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, etc) did not either, even though the 9005 bulbs matched perfectly. User @Kedis82ZE8 helped me figure the problem out with a decoder wiring relay kit. R1 is what matched with the CX-5. It took about ~15 minutes total of work.

Here are the results (and the bulbs I bought if anyone is interested):

ss9wyi1.jpg

Hey guys! So, with a Touring model, I had issues use LED bulbs for replacing the DRL. Not only did VLEDs not know what to do, but other manufacturers and stores (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, etc) did not either, even though the 9005 bulbs matched perfectly. User @Kedis82ZE8 helped me figure the problem out with a decoder wiring relay kit. R1 is what matched with the CX-5. It took about ~15 minutes total of work.

Here are the results (and the bulbs I bought if anyone is interested):

(Looks like you are non tech) That looks like a fog light, not the DRL (your link). Unless the non techs have a L shape DRL vs the pw13. Also, keep in mind you've replaced your high beam with a lower power bulb.

(Looks like you are non tech) That looks like a fog light, not the DRL (your link). Unless the non techs have a L shape DRL vs the pw13. Also, keep in mind you've replaced your high beam with a lower power bulb.

Non-tech CX-5 uses 9005 bulb as DRL and High Beam.

CX-5 w/ tech uses P13W for DRL as the HID is low and high beam.

I have the non-tech & they use 9005 bulbs.
But to confirm, by doing it this way, you no longer have true high beam headlights correct? Your HB's are now "DRL brightness only" -- that is, when your headlights (LB) are on your HB bulbs are either A: "Off completely" when driving in LB mode, or B: "Only as bright as your DRL's" when you turn the HB's on?

But to confirm, by doing it this way, you no longer have true high beam headlights correct? Your HB's are now "DRL brightness only" -- that is, when your headlights (LB) are on your HB bulbs are either A: "Off completely" when driving in LB mode, or B: "Only as bright as your DRL's" when you turn the HB's on?

this is true

Hello all this is my third repply since long time ago on this forum and my english is not perfect sorry for that!

I have rent a cx-5 GS 2013 and now have replace it with a GS 2016 first time I change for the same car! Ok I know there's a good improvement from a 2013 2,0 liter to a 2016 2,5! My concern is the drl on the GS model they are ugly and after some reading here and experiment in 2012 I found that there is not much other way to change it for led so I alway's let my light at on and change dashboard and radio dimming with the little knub on the dashboard.

But with the 2016 you have to dimme the dashboard with the knub and the radio independently that's pita! What I think is there is a way to modify the coding to put the drl on the fog? I have done this modification on my GTI 2010 with a VAGCOM so I wonder if someone here know's what to do?

Also there is an other way to change this yellowish bulb for something different and not cancel the highbeam?

Last edited:
I have seen kits to put the DRL with the fog lights that fit a 2015 CX-5 that would allow one to "change this yellowish bulb for something different and not cancel the highbeam", but I have not seen one for the 2016 yet.

Just found that the dash knug dimme the radio and the dash light at the same time with light on! Like the older model!

I am eyeing on the new 2016 Mazda CX-5 LED Tail lamps and wondering if this is just a plug and play on 2015 model. What do you think? Thanks.

I am eyeing on the new 2016 Mazda CX-5 LED Tail lamps and wondering if this is just a plug and play on 2015 model. What do you think? Thanks.

Probably, but why? I'm sure the cost would be hundreds of $$$. Of course, I'm the one who spent hundreds swapping out the incandescent bulbs with LEDs on a 2015 CX-5.

Just made a thread About it. Priced out at dealership is like $1,300.

I still remember the factory HID's of that gen Maxima being a huge theft issue. Such a big issue that news channels notified the public of it.

It has been a long time since I posted. Still have my CX5 (2 years on 2/15) with only 7500 on the ODO. Early on I put in some led DRL replacements but they failed and almost caused me other problems. I believe the bulbs are p13w for cars with the tech package. Who has these and where did you get them? I would prefer to stay away from iJDMTOY unless they have improved their product.

It has been a long time since I posted. Still have my CX5 (2 years on 2/15) with only 7500 on the ODO. Early on I put in some led DRL replacements but they failed and almost caused me other problems. I believe the bulbs are p13w for cars with the tech package. Who has these and where did you get them? I would prefer to stay away from iJDMTOY unless they have improved their product.

I've purchased all of my bulbs form here:

http://www.vleds.com/

Back