P5 gauge sweep mod

Willis2k

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
I've been searching around and haven't seen any information on it, but was wondering if anybody had found a way (or tried anything) to get the P5 guages to sweep on start up like a 'Vette, Scuby, or crotch rocket?? I've looked at the wiring diagram for the instrument panel and did nothing but give myself a headache. I was trying to figure out if it's possible at all and if so, if it's something simple like the fog light/running light mod I did. Any help or input would be great!

I am pretty sure it just hits them with voltage at start up, I guess so you know it works?/it's f'n sweet. I'm not that good with wiring yet though.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I think it looks awesome so I wanted to try it. I'm wondering since my car doesn't have ABS if I could hook the gauges to the ABS light somehow since it shuts off after start up.. unless the idiot lights are like the ones on my old Honda and are attached straight to a circuit board, then I'm back to square one.

I'm not sure about all cars that do this...but some of the more exotic types use this to calibrate the stepper motors for the gauge itself...not exactly sure why they'd need to do that at every start up, but its what i read at one point anyway...

anyway...yeah i doubt it would be that hard to rig up some sort inline relay or something that just bumps the signal to max for a second and then lets off...although, i have no idea where to start with that haha...

I have no clue either. I've heard the guage cluster is controlled by a PCM or something like that? I had considered finding a way to hook a relay like you're saying, but I didn't want to totally ruin my gauge cluster if (or when) I did it wrong. I'm wondering if it would be possible to run a relay that recieved power when the warning lights on the gauges came on by soldering to the board where one connects. Again, I haven't done that because I'm not certain it would work, not to mention I haven't had the time since my racing season kicks off in February.

Back