Gas tank door issues

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Not really sure what broke but the lever for the door will not go down just stays up and it won't allow the gas door to shut. And too cold to mess with it ATM

Anybody ever have this issue before? I'm waiting for someone to come steal my gas

I would try pushing the little black nipple in. Below is picture if you are unfamiliar. You might also make sure nothing is stuck under the lever preventing it returning to it's normal position. Also here is a link to someone who had similar issue.[CLICK HERE ]

attachment.php

My guess is that the cable is seized up. That may cause the pin to stay in preventing the door from closing. I would try hosing down both ends of the cable with pb blaster or similar while working the release lever up and down.

Is there a spring on the lever? I jiggled it up an Down a few times and heard a slight pop, now it it will not bring its self back down you have to push it, but I can shut it now. I tried removing the plastic trim to see what was going on but couldn't get the screw to budge and didn't have my impact screw driver

I'm not sure if there is a spring or not, I've never had mine apart. I'm just assuming that there must be spring tension on the wire (cable) to pull itself back after the lever is pulled. I assume there must be a spring of sorts at the pin end to pull the wire back after pulling the lever or the lever end would have to "push" the wire back into the sheath which wouldn't work too well. (the lever itself may have a spring to assist). I would look at the pin end and try to get the spray in there. The manual say's to remove the "driver's side tire house trim" then the "driver's side trunk side trim" to remove the cable. I'm pretty sure the cable end is up under the splash guard in the wheel well area and the picture appears to show that it is spring loaded. The info is listed under "body and accessories" -- "security and locks" -- "fuel filler lid removal installation".

Latest posts

Back