Looking for a better shocks for a 2012 Mazda 5.........

So GJ,
Are you a Mazda master-tech? You really seem to know a lot, maybe even everything, about these cars.

90210, when I went Koni on the V70, I made the choice based on reports of harshness on the part of Bilstein. They have a reputation as performance shocks. Of course, that was before there were B4s, so it may be a different game now, but from what I understand, the B6s are hard because they are real road/track struts. Lots of compromise on the street so they can take be effective on the track.
IMHO, the Mazda5 already feels a bit thin in the suspension department. Added harshness wouldn't do it for me, at least.
The only reason I am bringing up the FSDs is because they are engineered vastly different than any other shock. They are not monotube, so that harshness is gone, nor are they like most twin-tube because they respond gently when jarred, but firmly when pushed more softly, like cornering. Everyone who has some has spoken very highly, and without a doubt, they will be my next shocks on whatever vehicle they will fit.

Last edited:
So GJ,
Are you a Mazda master-tech? You really seem to know a lot, maybe even everything, about these cars.

90210, when I went Koni on the V70, I made the choice based on reports of harshness on the part of Bilstein. They have a reputation as performance shocks. Of course, that was before there were B4s, so it may be a different game now, but from what I understand, the B6s are hard because they are real road/track struts. Lots of compromise on the street so they can take be effective on the track.
IMHO, the Mazda5 already feels a bit thin in the suspension department. Added harshness wouldn't do it for me, at least.
The only reason I am bringing up the FSDs is because they are engineered vastly different than any other shock. They are not monotube, so that harshness is gone, nor are they like most twin-tube because they respond gently when jarred, but firmly when pushed more softly, like cornering. Everyone who has some has spoken very highly, and without a doubt, they will be my next shocks on whatever vehicle they will fit.

I am not a mechanic no. Just an avid Mazda and bmw enthusiast.

Yes, the B6 struts are aggressively valved but still compliant. Think of it as a firm ride without being way too harsh. How much of a ride height drop you get, and how harsh the ride is depends more on the springs rather then just the strut. If you get a good pairing in there (for example, eibach springs go very well with bilstein) then the car will ride nice regardless.

Bilstein are still Street performance at the end of the day so expect some compliance. Eibach is meant to mix street compliance with good handling, so all together it will be a nice pairing even if youre looking for a comfortable ride.

The general consensus over at the BMW forums was that Bilstein > than Koni in terms of longevity. I have a BMW 5 series, and that thing rides more comfortably then the Mazda. Someone at bimmerfest posted a review of his experience using the Bilstein b12 kit on the car (b6 + eibach springs together for cheap) and said that the car rode very nice and articulated over bumps better then stock even on rough canadian roads, while others say that they are harsh so opinions are subjective regarding this matter.

Thanks guys for the help

I already run 225/45/18 on my mazda5

It’s harsh enough

Don’t need my family beater to be harsher

Again, I DO NOT have FSDs, just heard over and over again how good they ride. Do some research and get some testimonials before you pull the trigger. I AM looking forward to my first set tho.
Now here's my big thing: My suspension and brakes have saved my tookus many times, and my parent's neglect of components like suspension parts has gotten me into a lot of trouble. I have truly come to appreciate predictability in emergency maneuvers. Lost my truck b/c it was not only big and lethargic, but because I was waffling on keeping it or getting rid of it, so the suspension and brakes were not up to snuff. Couldn't save it in an emergency maneuver. Now, I actually buy cars with shot suspensions because I save money and I know that after the refresh, it the car will handle as good as showroom or better. Don't skimp on those parts. This stuff is often life-or-death.

Agreed

I am not looking to skimp. Just trying to educate on lOngest lasting. I am leaning towards bilsteins

Again, I DO NOT have FSDs, just heard over and over again how good they ride. Do some research and get some testimonials before you pull the trigger. I AM looking forward to my first set tho.
Now here's my big thing: My suspension and brakes have saved my tookus many times, and my parent's neglect of components like suspension parts has gotten me into a lot of trouble. I have truly come to appreciate predictability in emergency maneuvers. Lost my truck b/c it was not only big and lethargic, but because I was waffling on keeping it or getting rid of it, so the suspension and brakes were not up to snuff. Couldn't save it in an emergency maneuver. Now, I actually buy cars with shot suspensions because I save money and I know that after the refresh, it the car will handle as good as showroom or better. Don't skimp on those parts. This stuff is often life-or-death.

if you are looking for very good suspension, you can't go wrong with Bilstein b6 and eibach lowering springs. you will be very pleased with this setup.
Agreed

I am not looking to skimp. Just trying to educate on lOngest lasting. I am leaning towards bilsteins

the bilsteins will be a very good choice indeed. your only other option would be coilovers, like BC racing for example makes good suspension. you can adjust them to yield a soft ride yet it will corner more flat and better over stock.

I will tell you that bilstein is better then koni, and Eibach springs are better then H&R.
Huh? How do you figure that?! I'd never say any of those brands is better than the other... they're all top level suspension companies.
your only other option would be coilovers, like BC racing for example makes good suspension. you can adjust them to yield a soft ride yet it will corner more flat and better over stock.
BC makes an OK suspension setup for the money if you're not picky about high precision damping or being serious at the track, but they're pretty low on the overall scale when it comes to coilover suspension. The BCs that fit on the 5 are universal cartridge coilovers. They work ok for what they are, but their damping qualities aren't made specifically for the 5 (or 3) compared to true coilover setups with threaded bodies and valving set specifically for that car. That's why the BCs and similar universal cartridge coilovers have so many adjustment steps- they have to make sure that a range that works for the cars those cartridges might be used in will exist and be useable for that car. That said, I was happy enough with the BCs on my 5, even though the droop travel was severely compromised, the plastic isolators were throwaway items, and the lock collars wouldn't stay put without loctite. Easy fixes.

I could be wrong, but from my experience with my ex-BMW and Mercedes usually go with H&R + Bilstein (it lets you feel all the bumps on the road), or Eibach + Koni (comfort yet give you good handling).

TEIN coilovers will disappoint you as the spring rate is harsh and damper is soft. BC racing is not bad as it feels more like H&R + Bilstein.

Can't generalize on brands like that... Tein has a HUGE range of coilovers to suit all markets- so does BC. I never had a harsh spring / soft damper issue with my Tein Flex setup on my Civic. The BCs on the 5 were well matched between spring/damper, but the droop travel all went away. Universal cartridge type coilovers tend to have that problem. Decent aftermarket coilovers will almost always be well matched between the spring and damper- otherwise they're no better than pairing random springs and shocks together. Koni and Bilstein both have lines that work well in the mild lowering medium spring rate realm. I think Koni's FSD line for the Speed 3 will work well, as long as the springs don't drop too low for the operating range of the shocks- and Bilstein has similar street level shocks that will work too.

Back