Looking for a better shocks for a 2012 Mazda 5.........

diamonddragon

:
2012 Mazda 5
Okay guys help me break this down. I want to install the H&R springs but I doubt very much that the stock shocks will hold up so to save me some time or labor money I'm opting to upgrade the shocks at the same time. The challenge is that I can't find any application for the 2012 from Koni or Bilstein. I have read that the Mazda 3's suspensions are identical so I did a quick search and here's what I found out:

2012 Mazda 5 2012 Mazda 3

Right Front - C513-34-700A - BBM3-34-700C
Left Front - C513-34-900A - BBM3-34-900C

Right Rear - CG36-28-910 - BGV4-28-910, BGV9-28-910, BBN5-28-910
Left Rear - CG36-28-910 - BGV4-28-910, BGV9-28-910, BBN5-28-910

2010 Mazda 5 2010 Mazda 3

Right Front - CDY0-34-700 - BBM3-34-700
Left Front - CDY0-34-900 - BBM3-34-900

Right Rear - CDY1-28-910 - BBM3-28-910
Left Rear - CDY1-28-910 - BBM3-28-910

2009 Mazda 5 2009 Mazda 3

Right Front - CDY0-34-700 - BBM2-34-700, BRY0-34-700, B37F-34-700B
Left Front - CDY0-34-900 - BBM2-34-900, BRY0-34-900, B37F-34-900B

Right Rear - CDY1-28-910 - BRY1-28-910, BRY0-28-910
Left Rear - CDY1-28-910 - BRY1-28-910, BRY0-28-910

Down to 2006 are the same. So by this it looks like the 2012 Mazda 5 is a different animal. The configuration with 3's may be the same but the parts are not identical. I may be wrong since I have read in some posts that the coilovers for the Mazda 3's can be used on some prior years of the Mazda 5's. Please I need some input. Thanks in advance.

I'm just curious about something... looks like you have definitely done some homework here. What makes you say/think that the OEM shocks won't "hold up?" I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Thanks.

I'm just curious about something... looks like you have definitely done some homework here. What makes you say/think that the OEM shocks won't "hold up?" I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Thanks.

Well for one the spring rates of the H&R might be different from the stock so that may place a bit more toll on the stock shocks. My 2012 have about 50k on it so that's about the lifespan of the original shocks. Lastly the like of Koni or Bilstein are usually valved to accommodate a bit of sport application thereby giving them a little tightness on street use and likewise with a lowering springs such as the H&R.

Well a bit more research here. I dig a step deeper onto the front suspension component parts leading me to ask what holds the front struts? Answer....."knuckles'. So I ask....is there a difference between the front knuckles of the Mazda 5 from 2006 to 2012? Mazda's answer is no supported by part #'s C46133031A and C46133021A for all Mazda 5 model years. In addition the upper components are likewise mostly identical except for the insulators which probably due to different manufacturers. So if the knuckles are all the same would it be safe to say that the difference in part numbers of the struts between 2012 and those of 2006-2010 are probably just where Mazda source them from? Also the part # for the coil springs of all Mazda 5's and 3' ends in 34011. This is not coincidence. This prolly why some guys are able to use Mazda 3's coilovers with the 5's.

Wow.... Well, here are my 2 cents.

I have never heard of a modern car or truck with shocks that last only 50k miles. If your Mazda5 is converted to taxi duty in Manhattan, I can see how the shocks would only last 50k miles, maybe less than that. There are shops in the city that pretty much swap out shocks all day long, along with tires. I don't know how bad the streets are in and around Roseville, CA. I know Cali roads are generally much better than ours.

Secondly, I think you are making a lot of assumptions about spring rates, etc. Yes the spring rates will be different, probably a bit stiffer ride, but my advice before you go spending money on Bilsteins (if you can find them for the Mazda5) would be to lower the vehicle using the H&Rs, which is something I'm considering doing myself BTW, and see how it drives first. If it's not to your satisfaction then change out the shocks. Did you call the company that makes the springs to see what they advise as far as replacing the OEM shock units?? I'm curious myself.

How many 2012 5s have made it to 50,000 miles to let us know how they fared? I'm at 41k now and it is all tight as ever.

Wow.... Well, here are my 2 cents.

I have never heard of a modern car or truck with shocks that last only 50k miles. If your Mazda5 is converted to taxi duty in Manhattan, I can see how the shocks would only last 50k miles, maybe less than that. There are shops in the city that pretty much swap out shocks all day long, along with tires. I don't know how bad the streets are in and around Roseville, CA. I know Cali roads are generally much better than ours.

Secondly, I think you are making a lot of assumptions about spring rates, etc. Yes the spring rates will be different, probably a bit stiffer ride, but my advice before you go spending money on Bilsteins (if you can find them for the Mazda5) would be to lower the vehicle using the H&Rs, which is something I'm considering doing myself BTW, and see how it drives first. If it's not to your satisfaction then change out the shocks. Did you call the company that makes the springs to see what they advise as far as replacing the OEM shock units?? I'm curious myself.

This is exactly why I would rather replace my shocks at the same time I install the H&R to save time and money. The stock shocks are probably designed to last up to 60-70K, I really doubt Mazda made it to last longer than that. H&R springs are definitely stiffer that stock so even if they engineered their springs to compliment the stock shock I would say they are pushing it to the higher limit. Stiffer springs definitely requires better shock valving. No use to call H&R as they will say it all depends upon the condition of your shocks. I think it is a good investment to change your shocks while you're there. Now if you have a newer shocks with a few miles on then yeah you prolly can buy time.

This is exactly why I would rather replace my shocks at the same time I install the H&R to save time and money. The stock shocks are probably designed to last up to 60-70K, I really doubt Mazda made it to last longer than that. H&R springs are definitely stiffer that stock so even if they engineered their springs to compliment the stock shock I would say they are pushing it to the higher limit. Stiffer springs definitely requires better shock valving. No use to call H&R as they will say it all depends upon the condition of your shocks. I think it is a good investment to change your shocks while you're there. Now if you have a newer shocks with a few miles on then yeah you prolly can buy time.

Hmmm... Well... Sounds like you've already made up your mind to get new shocks. Try seeing what they have for the Mazda3 for the same model year. Buy them, and if they don't fit at point of installation, just box them back up, keep them clean, and get a refund. That's what I would do. But I can't imagine Mazda would engineer just about everything the same from a 2.5L Mazda3 to a Mazda5 EXCEPT for the shocks. And let's face it, shocks are not as technical as engine internals, and they all have top and bottom mounting holes and bolt goes through the hole and that's it. Struts are a little different, I know, since it entails more parts than that. Give it a shot, use Mazda3 spec parts.

I still don't agree with the 50k or 70k mile statements that have been made in regard to Mazda OEM shocks, unless these are the cheapest shocks that have ever been put into any production car, and I have owned/driven many brands and models in my time. My 5 has about 5k miles on the odo, so time will tell, I will get back to you in about 2 years or so when the car has 50k miles LoL

Last edited:
+1 Do it right the first time and it'll last you a very long time. Go with Knoi Sports or Bilstein Sports (rears are technically not suited for Mz5 but I'd gamble they'll do ok if you pair it with stiffer springs, front are inverted monotubes!). Bilstein are known to last over 100k and are fully serviceable but expensive -get what you pay for).

Hmmm... Well... Sounds like you've already made up your mind to get new shocks. Try seeing what they have for the Mazda3 for the same model year. Buy them, and if they don't fit at point of installation, just box them back up, keep them clean, and get a refund. That's what I would do. But I can't imagine Mazda would engineer just about everything the same from a 2.5L Mazda3 to a Mazda5 EXCEPT for the shocks. And let's face it, shocks are not as technical as engine internals, and they all have top and bottom mounting holes and bolt goes through the hole and that's it. Struts are a little different, I know, since it entails more parts than that. Give it a shot, use Mazda3 spec parts.

I still don't agree with the 50k or 70k mile statements that have been made in regard to Mazda OEM shocks, unless these are the cheapest shocks that have ever been put into any production car, and I have owned/driven many brands and models in my time. My 5 has about 5k miles on the odo, so time will tell, I will get back to you in about 2 years or so when the car has 50k miles LoL
Shocks don't go through a sudden catastrophic failure; rather it gradually degrades overtime. The thing that sets Hondas/Toyotas (just as an example) apart from Mazda is that they are bigger and can prob demand/work with a better quality supplier; they do use higher quality parts. Mazda's initial quality suck, especially those form the Ford days. Anyway, most car shocks last do last ~50-~70K tops but you don't notice since you become acclimated with as it deteriorates. This is why some people think some new shocks raise their car when in fact their old ones are so worn.

So it looks like the 2012 got the needed upgrades to the shocks along with the improved rear spring rate. I doubt the new parts are only 50,000 mile shocks the way the old rears were. But I would still consider new shocks/struts if you are doing springs, just because you don't want to pull it all apart in 20K miles. OF you could wait 10K-20K to replace the springs and then get it all fresh and new at once. BTW, 70K+ is about where shocks/struts begin to show their wear on cars that they are a good match for. We 06-10ers were blowing ours because the back of the Mz5 carries hundreds of pounds more than even the 5-dor Mz3, which the shocks were originally designed for. If one drove a Mz3 for 50,000 mi with 500 lbs of ballast in the back all the time, their rear shocks would blow too.

I just picked up a set of rear KYB's we will see how they fare. s*** now that us old timers (06-10) know that the 2012+ models have a stiffer rear spring rate. Which one of y'all 2012'ers want to sell me your rear OEM springs??

I called Koni and they say that they can't guarantee that the current Koni shocks for the <10 model will work with the 2012's. :-(

My passenger side front strut failed
Dealer says driver front is leaking

What do you guys replace with?

I am trying to figure out what strut and shock difference is

My passenger side front strut failed
Dealer says driver front is leaking

What do you guys replace with?

I am trying to figure out what strut and shock difference is

Struts are integral to the suspension structure. Shocks are not. You have struts in the front, shocks in the back. You can't interchange them- whatever shows up as the correct application for your car will be the right fitment.

KYB are a longevity upgrade to the OEM stuff. I have the monotube shocks on the rear of my Volvo - good stuff. I also have the GR2 on the front of the Mazda5 and they are holding up very well.

the mazda 5 shares suspension components with the smaller Mazda 3 which is why they wear out so quickly.

DO NOT purchase lowering springs if you are buying stock, OEM struts. dont even bother with OEM. buy bilstein b4 if you want OEM style, and bilstein b6 with eibach lowering springs if you want a nice coilover -type upgrade.

KYB vs KONI FSD vs Bilstein B4? Which would last longer?

bilsteins without a doubt. hell, they are going to last longer then your current original suspension, let alone Koni's.

if you want to lower your car a little bit and improve handling/body control, I recommend bilstein b6 with eibach lowering springs all around.

bilstein > koni without a doubt

Well for one the spring rates of the H&R might be different from the stock so that may place a bit more toll on the stock shocks. My 2012 have about 50k on it so that's about the lifespan of the original shocks. Lastly the like of Koni or Bilstein are usually valved to accommodate a bit of sport application thereby giving them a little tightness on street use and likewise with a lowering springs such as the H&R.

this is correct.

since you know your stuff, I will tell you that bilstein is better then koni, and Eibach springs are better then H&R.

Back