CX-5 2013 vs 2014

alphajr

Hi all

I am trying to work out the difference in 2014 vs 2013
I am aware of the SCBS but that is only the top level option and obviously the engine. But comparing the Mazda.ca specs showing 2014 it looks like some of the packages for 2013 are now standard in 2014 (ie the moonroof). Thus the price difference maybe worth waiting.

I have been offered a 2013 with moonroof/ bose for $24,300 or $335 a month + tax which seems pretty decent. But 2014 arrives next week and that is pricing at $400 month for what appears to be a similar spec (Touring).

Generally do Mazda drop the prices on the prior year and if so how much ? I also just got an email saying they are offering like $6K of the current CX9's which seems a big discount thus should we be waiting a few weeks for similar deals on CX5? But if so maybe the finance offers now may not be there for Feb and thus nothing is gained..

Last edited:
Here's the official press release that mentions what features on each trim: http://www.mazdausamedia.com/download/2014+CX-5+Overview+FINAL.pdf

From what I remember, the main differences was the 2.5L on Touring and Grand Touring, SCBS, and the radio supporting Pandora and SMS texts (read and reply).

I guess my issue is the canada website shows moonroof included for the touring - but the press release says optional . So I am trying to work out what is correct ( i guess Canada may get as standard and US not is a possibility)
http://www.mazdausa.com/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=CX5

I thought a new feature in the 2014 models was supposed to be some sort of low speed crash avoidance. Am I mistaken?

It ought to be, its standard fit on all models of CX5 in the UK. Helps reduce insurance premiums.

We don't get a moon roof or sunroof option.

I guess my issue is the canada website shows moonroof included for the touring - but the press release says optional . So I am trying to work out what is correct ( i guess Canada may get as standard and US not is a possibility)
http://www.mazdausa.com/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=CX5

For comparison,
USA = Sport, Touring, Grand Touring
Canada = GX, GS, GT

According to the Mazda brochure, the canadian 2013 CX-5 came, in the GS and GT trim, with a moonroof, unlike in the US where on the Touring trim it is available via a package. The 2014 model still comes standard, in the same trims, with a moonroof. However, we can't get the Bose system unless you choose GT with Tech package... sucks :(

I'm guessing the US moonroof will still be an option for 2014?

Another thing I noticed for the 2014 canadian CX-5 model is that when I view the "mobile" Mazda.ca site, the fuel tank is much larger for the 2.5 engine.. It is NOT posted on the main site though... Here's a screenshot from my cellphone :

2013-01-25_09-18-29.png

THe GX gets a 62L tank and the GS/GT (with 2.5) get a 69L tank! No mention on AWD differences, however...

As a side note, the new Mazda6 gets a 62L tank..

the the answer is who really knows- as I am unlikely to get the GT model and thus I don't think can access the SCBS it is just the colours and increase in engine.
Bluetooth also now standard on 2014?
calling the dealers and asking them - would get a better answer from the clerk at Vons

Has anyone found out anything more about the MPG and what the difference between the 2.0 & 2.5 will be? I sent inquires to local dealers for 2014 dates and one guy responded "There really isn't any difference in the vehicles with the exception of an available 2.5 litre engine vs. the 2.0 litre. It provides more power for those who want it but it gets 5 less miles per gallon Hwy so I think most people will opt for the fuel economy." I haven't seen anything about any drop in MPG let alone 5 miles to 27MPG.

I'm leaning towards he was just trying to move some 2013 stock, but its got me wondering about waiting... dang it his Jedi mind tricks worked!

the press release linked above lists it as 25/32 FWD and 24/30 AWD for the 2.5:

Touring and Grand Touring models will receive the SKYACTIV-G 2.5L engine. Touting 184 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 rpm, the CX-5 becomes one of the more powerful non-turbocharged compact SUVs in its class. The EPA-tested numbers reflect minimal sacrifice in efficiency with 25 city/32 highway MPG for front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles and 24 city/30 highway MPG for AWD vehicles.

Yes, 2014 Mazda CX-5 and 2014 Mazda6 data is already on the EPA-Find a car website.

But to answer your question (CX-5 2.0L versus 2.5L), difference:

1 mpg city and highway
2 mpg combined

Last edited:
Ya know, now that I see that I remember reading that whole "EPA-tested" part, too bad I didn't retain that bit of knowledge. I'll blame the lying car salesman for getting me all uppity and concerned... Thanks for not pointing out my stupidity with that ;-)

Guess I know which dealership I won't be purchasing from.

was just told the SCBS was a tech option on the touring? Any one know what the fact's are on the SCBS (smart braking) and which models have it as an option?

was just told the SCBS was a tech option on the touring? Any one know what the fact's are on the SCBS (smart braking) and which models have it as an option?

According to the press release it is available on the tech package for both touring and grand touring

Blurb about Touring add-ons.
Options available as Touring add-ons are a Moonroof/Bose Package and Technology Package. The Moonroof/Bose Package includes a moonroof and the premium 225-watt Bose Surround Sound System. The Technology Package adds the TomTom technology-based in-dash navigation module, an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, automatic on/off bi-xenon auto- leveling headlights, a pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), rain-sensing windshield wipers and a Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system, which is a new safety feature for North America

Blurb for the GT:

A Technology Package, similar to that on Touring models, also is available for Grand Touring vehicles. Options include the in-dash TomTom navigation system, an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, automatic on/off bi-xenon auto-leveling headlights, a pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Smart City Brake Support (SCBS).

Latest posts

Back