Installshield's NA Build

Just to let you know Haltech provides all the required software on their website. And my new sprint didn't come with software, so it could be legit.

Hey everyone...

No problems, just life haha...Wedding planning and buying a new house took over for the past couple of months. Car is still ok, fighting a little more rust here and there, but the places i did address have held fine through the winter so far. And its still running great.

We've had a terrible winter, weeks on end of just barely getting above zero for some of it, so i pretty much back-burner'd the car for the time being since its nearly impossible to work on in these conditions. Haven't really had any time to keep it going lately, but nothing is cancelled...just slow as usual.

I still get pm's through email, so if you don't see me on here i still get all that...We'll be moved by April hopefully, wedding is early june...hope to have everything but the new engine done before summer...crank is finished and tested, spare block cleaned up and ready for assembly...and working with a local machine shop for retrofitting a number of different rod/piston options...

hope everyone is doing well!

Ya but it seems that everyone who wants power in their p5 goes with the msp turbo setup or something similar and jdm engines seem to be hard to find if you want one in decent condition and not get scammed. NA always appealed to me but I could never find any good info. on it.

Sent From Papa Jays Phone

It's been a while, guys. It troubles me that it has taken so long for me to update any of this, but even back in 2013 I was pointing to the inevitable. Life haha. It devoured everything related to the P5 pretty quickly, and for that I apologize.

But...I still have it, and it still runs. I'm a father of two boys now, and my wife and I need to upgrade size wise. We bought an almost new Acura TSX a few years ago, but both are pretty similar in size. Going to have to let the Mazda go, as the Acura over a decade newer haha.

I haven't been around in a while, obviously. I will make an official FS thread if I still can, but I have, at least what used to be, pretty sought after parts available. Consider this only a GI as a lot of things are currently installed and don't have time to gather uninstalled pics just yet. Going to start over this weekend if possible. Many of these things i'll let go for basically free other than shipping. If there are still users that want some things from the 'glory days' of high hopes for these cars, i'm more than willing to package them up for relatively little on top of shipping. Listing with price w/o shipping, every single thing is negotiable. If anyone has use for some of this stuff I could be talked down to free. To be honest this is all a little heartbreaking haha.

Unused/unboxed Exedy Stage 1 Clutch $35
Unused/unboxed Fidanza 7.5lb aluminum flywheel $35
Twiggy NA cams, used about 1000 miles from me, can't confirm previous owners but they looked brand new when purchased within this forum: $100 (and that's only to remove them; they're the only parts that are currently installed that are a bit of an undertaking to get to...Also have all the valve spacers installed to proper tolerance)
Custom adj. cam gears, forget name but they worked perfectly with the twiggy's after I shortened the cam bolts: Included with cams, or make an offer
Custom FS valve cover w/ timing belt cap cut out to allow adjustment of cam gears, painted matte black (and still looks alright): Included with cams and/or cam gears
Mazdaspeed factory 4-2-1 JDM SS header, was used on the Japanese only version of the 2001 MP3. $50 (This is one that's tough as it's by far the hardest to package up. I had to have a custom shortened mid pipe/second cat section made locally because this header is far longer than the standard US collector/primary cat reaches. Also needed an extension for the 2nd O2 sensor. The header developed a small crack, that was welded and fixed, because of a torn exhaust hanger. All of this would be included)
MP3 ECU: $35
Racing Beat Cat-Back, P5 specific short version: $25, can't guarantee the bolts will be in tact during removal, but the system looks great from underneath the car still
Tein SS suspension system: $50, and includes all spanner wrenches, caps, and even the unused stickers the packaging came with. Used for around 1k miles.
RR-Racing aluminum UD pulley: $15
Custom cold box intake: $25

I'd sell the entire car for $1000 including everything mentioned above, and including 5 Enkei 8-Spoke 17X8" wheels (front tires are very close to needing replacement), in case anyone is in the central PA area. I have been the single owner since Feb 2002 and it's hard to start ripping it apart if there is no interest. Pics available immediately, again just using this as a GI type thing. The car runs fine and has no noticeable daily issues other than the wild idle from those cams, and the A/C switch not working on speed 2 and 3 which I never got around to fixing. Hood is in rough shape from sun damage, and rear fenders have some rust at the bumper gap, but only bubbling. I've been working IT from home for years, so the car only was driven occasionally for day care and battery charging purposes. Most of the upgrades I made within this thread have had very little actual usage.

So anyway, hope everyone is doing well, and if there is any interest in this let me know. I'll gladly put together an official FS thread accordingly, with all the needed pics and time stamps, before anything gets moving.

Sorry to hear this man. Good luck with everything. I might be interested in a few parts. I PMed you with my phone number.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and yeah it hurts. Promise the reasons I am giving up the car/parts are worth it, though. I've had this thing for 17.x years, and the worst part is never really getting it finished to a childhood 'dream' I guess haha. Sounds corny, but some will know what I mean.

So the main thing is that this aging toy is currently an organ donor haha, it faithfully outlived it's original purpose and then some. I'll keep the tools in the garage otherwise and let it go peacefully, but some things within it should live on... if possible.

I sympathize with you because my little Protege is in the same boat. I still enjoy driving it but it needs a lot of TLC which requires time I don't have what with life going on around us. Wife said it's time for me to get a "newer" (no more than 5yrs old) car but I get to pick something I enjoy. Maybe I'll get to hold on to the Protege so my kids and I can work on it but time is a valuable resource that is hard to come by. Good luck with your future endeavours.

I sympathize with you because my little Protege is in the same boat. I still enjoy driving it but it needs a lot of TLC which requires time I don't have what with life going on around us. Wife said it's time for me to get a "newer" (no more than 5yrs old) car but I get to pick something I enjoy. Maybe I'll get to hold on to the Protege so my kids and I can work on it but time is a valuable resource that is hard to come by. Good luck with your future endeavours.
Thanks, and you too!

Totally agree. I haven't had to rely on my own car for any real purpose for years because of the tele-commute nature of my spot, and I kept thinking I'd get around to finishing it. Now with a 3.5 year old and a 3 month old...my free time is...limited. My wife remembers when I bought it just before college (we weren't together yet, but knew each other), and she may be even weirder about this whole thing than I am, but we need the garage space, we need 2 very reliable vehicles, etc.

Responded to all pm's so far.

Just to update: There is a local person potentially interested in the whole car. He is stopping by hopefully this saturday. If that falls through, I'll get to work getting the parts off and I have a list of the order of interest.

Other parts I forgot to mention yesterday:

JDM Sport 20 tail lights (or maybe they're the Euro versions, whichever they are they match US wiring, they don't need that adapter for the rear fog lights like some versions)
DaveB original brushed aluminum Gauge Rings (my very first mod in 2002 haha)
Factory P5 roof rack

Thanks again.

Back