Battery Replacement

emmetation

:
Mazda 5 GT 2007
Hello,
Thanks to our frigid climate, my wife's battery has failed to start the car a couple of times now. When I test it with the voltmeter I get only 11.75V, so I believe it's about time for a new one. Usually a car battery replacement is pretty simple but when I looked under the hood this one seems like it might get complicated...The battery seems to be tucked under the back edge of the part of the hood that doesn't move, making a vertical removal impossible. I am not so sure about trying to work it out by turning it around once the bracket is removed, but it seems like it may be a major headache, not to mention dangerous when you consider the acid inside.

Anyone have any experience with battery removal on the Mazda 5? Mine's a 2007.

Let me know thanks,

Emmet
Montreal, Canada

Did it once - 2006 Mazda 5 - don't recall any particular problems. The battery doesn't appear to leak too easily. Good luck - cold time to be changing a battery.

Easier than it looks, once you get the lid and bracket off, then unhook the terminals, it slides forward/up and out quite easily.

emmetation, once you remove the air channel that directs air from the grille to the battery box, and disconnect everything, the front panel of the battery box can be unhooked from the side panels at the upper corners, allowing the front panel to tilt forward some, allowing the battery to come out easier. And, no, its definitely NOT like removing the battery on a '75 Chevy or anything similar!
As I said in a different post, beware of the Autozone red batteries, because they have cut the warranty down drastically, making them nearly a throw-away battery.

Thanks a lot guys! For some reason I never got the notifications in my email that these replies had come in. I better check my preferences, I was beginning to lose hope...Tomorrow is looking ever so slightly warmer, so I believe I will tackle this. Off to purchase a battery so I can start in the morning! Have a great weekend everyone :)

I did it in the Costco parking lot a few months ago for the first time. It doesn't look like it will fit, but it will when you tilt the front battery box panel it comes out pretty easily. Mine made it about 4.5 years. Costco batteries work pretty well and have a 3 year replacement warranty.

Back