Questions about Corksport power series exhaust for p5

depends on which mount i think. The firewall mount; some guys have unbolted it and moved the engine forward enough to get the inserts in without taking it off the firewall iirc...which is the harder part of mount (the through bolt is easy to access)...but not sure on the others...although, the other 3 mounts are cake to remove compared to that 'rear' mount anyway...

and sorry, i'm a little confused then on which exhaust your getting.

http://www.corksport.com/images/detailed/1/99p-6-019-1012614354834b2ffa5bd5899.jpg

that shows the mid-pipe with resonator...but that mid-pipe DEFINATELY removes the factory 2nd cat...it replaces that entire pipe that houses the stock catalyst...

Does CS offer one with a 'stub' resonator, like Racing Beat does? My racing beat exhaust has a resonator too, but its just a short straight length of plumbing that mounts just after the stock mid-pipe...then the Racing Beat bent pipe mounts to that...then the muffler...its like not even 1/4 of the length of that resonator thing from cork sport...I know this is confusing haha. the 'stub' resonator thing looks like this, and this would be the size of a true cat-back. Unless this guy is selling a CS exhaust that i'm unaware of, its actually 'more' than a cat-back...

http://www.racingbeat.com/images/items/76465.1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it would be a stub resonator like the one you showed me because there's no way he would remove that cat unless he wants to fail his emissions test. I will clarify that with the seller

Hmm if I have to get motor mounts and go through the trouble of getting the shop to install it I think I will look for another system. Maybe a rb catback or HKS if I ever come by one.

I love the sound of corksport but it seems too much of a hassle I just wanted something that would bolt right in and that's it

The factory motor mounts are garbage and will fall apart on you. I would recommend inserts or at least grab a big tube of 3m windshield weld and do a diy filled mount. If you skip the rear mount, the rest are very easy. You should do something about your mounts whether or not you get an exhaust.

If it doesn't come with a cat you will have to cut that section and add a flange to bolt to stock main cat.

As for extending the end cut it right before the canister/ fart can/ muffler/ whatever else you wana call it and weld a 4" pipe in it.

I went through the same thing with my civic when I bought an exhaust from a hatch for my sedan.

If you cant do it or have a friend do it any competent exhaust shop can. In my experience the fart can style exhausts will drone. If its too bad dynamat your trunk

The factory motor mounts are garbage and will fall apart on you. I would recommend inserts or at least grab a big tube of 3m windshield weld and do a diy filled mount. If you skip the rear mount, the rest are very easy. You should do something about your mounts whether or not you get an exhaust.

dam i did not know that about our mounts.. i havent had any problems yet *knock on wood* but then again im not sure if they were ever replaced, i got 234k km's on it right now.

If it doesn't come with a cat you will have to cut that section and add a flange to bolt to stock main cat.

As for extending the end cut it right before the canister/ fart can/ muffler/ whatever else you wana call it and weld a 4" pipe in it.

I went through the same thing with my civic when I bought an exhaust from a hatch for my sedan.

If you cant do it or have a friend do it any competent exhaust shop can. In my experience the fart can style exhausts will drone. If its too bad dynamat your trunk

yeah i had to do that with my msp axle back that was previously installed on a P5, but the corksport has a completely different look to it and larger diameter tip which might look super weird if i extend it.

i'm waiting for pics from the seller still because the mid-pipe section i'm getting totally confused as to what i have to do to get it installed.. maybe in canada the corksport comes with a stub resonator pipe that connects to the cat?

NOT THE TIP! Before the canister after the pipe goes over the rear control arm it angles down straightens out for what looks like an inch or two then goes to the canister, cut it in the straight section and extend it there. If I was at a computer I would circle it for you

NOT THE TIP! Before the canister after the pipe goes over the rear control arm it angles down straightens out for what looks like an inch or two then goes to the canister, cut it in the straight section and extend it there. If I was at a computer I would circle it for you

Ohh I get it thanks for clearing that up!

I was thinking of another exhaust options too

I already have the mazdaspeed axle back, but the rest is stock.

Would it be a stupid idea to replace just my midpipe after the 2nd cat with a 2.5 inch piping connecting it to the axle back?

Would it be too loud and would I gain anything?

I like the sound of my mazdaspeed axle back but I was hoping it would be a tiny bit more deep and loud

Let me know what you guys think of that option

Probly not with just the mid pipe. If you're just wanting it to be a bit louder get a header to delete the precat, you will get more power that way

Probly not with just the mid pipe. If you're just wanting it to be a bit louder get a header to delete the precat, you will get more power that way

Will I have troubles with emissions? I'm very hesitant to do anything with either cats because of that.

I think its mostly the different pipes that make up the exhaust that are getting all of us a little confused...so just to clarify:

the factory 2.0L sedan exhaust has a mid-pipe that connects from the down pipe outlet of the primary catalyst...the factory mid-pipe has an integrated 2nd catalyst, which can not be removed other than full blown cutting...this pipe is currently on your car...it starts just behind and to the side of the oil pan, roughly...and goes all the way back under the gear shifter linkage...basically just under and between the rear foot wells...

almost every after-market exhaust system bolts up to that factory mid-pipe...so with these systems...you do not lose a single catalyst...

This corksport one though, according to what i've seen on their website...includes a complete mid-pipe, that DOES NOT have a catalyst in place...it instead has a resonator mounted in that pipe...You don't have to use that CS mid-pipe, but then you won't have a resonator...and i'm guessing this thing would sound pretty ridiculous without one...

I'm doubting that CS makes a Canada specific unit that includes a stub pipe with resonator or something, much like Racing Beat's system does...as if that was the case they'd offer it in the US too, as we're required to have catalysts also...I think its a full blown racing exhaust for track use, where you don't need to worry about catalysts at all...

so yeah, get the pics from the seller...that'll clarify this, but i'm highly sure it'll be whats listed on the website...which is a complete 'header' back system...as in, if you used a AWR or OBX header, and this exhaust...you would have zero catalysts...and not one piece of the factory exhaust in place...

I think its mostly the different pipes that make up the exhaust that are getting all of us a little confused...so just to clarify:

the factory 2.0L sedan exhaust has a mid-pipe that connects from the down pipe outlet of the primary catalyst...the factory mid-pipe has an integrated 2nd catalyst, which can not be removed other than full blown cutting...this pipe is currently on your car...it starts just behind and to the side of the oil pan, roughly...and goes all the way back under the gear shifter linkage...basically just under and between the rear foot wells...

almost every after-market exhaust system bolts up to that factory mid-pipe...so with these systems...you do not lose a single catalyst...

This corksport one though, according to what i've seen on their website...includes a complete mid-pipe, that DOES NOT have a catalyst in place...it instead has a resonator mounted in that pipe...You don't have to use that CS mid-pipe, but then you won't have a resonator...and i'm guessing this thing would sound pretty ridiculous without one...

I'm doubting that CS makes a Canada specific unit that includes a stub pipe with resonator or something, much like Racing Beat's system does...as if that was the case they'd offer it in the US too, as we're required to have catalysts also...I think its a full blown racing exhaust for track use, where you don't need to worry about catalysts at all...

so yeah, get the pics from the seller...that'll clarify this, but i'm highly sure it'll be whats listed on the website...which is a complete 'header' back system...as in, if you used a AWR or OBX header, and this exhaust...you would have zero catalysts...and not one piece of the factory exhaust in place...

thanks man, looks like you were totally right. I thought because it was called catback there was no way it would delete the cat in place of a resonator especially here in toronto. So i would lose my 2nd cat if i were to get this set up and it doesn't seem ideal to me. Plus the trouble with emissions, motor mounts or flex pipe, and extending the exhaust doesnt seem worth the trouble to me..

If someone could convince me to get it ill reconsider :D haha

I'm looking at a few other options right now, used if i can find it; what other options would you guys suggest? I'm looking for a throaty deep tone nothing raspy at all.

I think the megan catback sounds pretty nice and found the magnaflow too raspy,

OR add a larger midpipe starting after the cat, to my mazdaspeed axle back? (if that makes any sense)

As you guys see i want to keep my cat so no catless :(

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of fart cans. I like the look of a muffler and tip better so I won't convince you. But that's just personal preference on my part

I've always thought the magna flow to look and sound sexy

I'm not a fan of fart cans. I like the look of a muffler and tip better so I won't convince you. But that's just personal preference on my part

I've always thought the magna flow to look and sound sexy

yeah i understand, im not too fond of the look either but the sound of corksport caught my attention.

But yeah i may try to get a custom 2.25-2.5 inch mid-pipe with a resonator and connect it to my cat and axle back. I hope that sounds a bit more throaty and maybe free up the flow a bit

found an example here, i'm not sure what hes running but it says mazdaspeed axle back with catback. But this is what i mean, it sounds pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-xfBroAKM

Back