2014 Mazda6 Diesel Discussion

Can't say I'm that shocked at the no-manual announcement. It will probably be auto-only in the CX-5 as well, once it's offered. I agree that it's a bummer that it's auto-only, but after having owned nothing but stick-shifts for more than 10 years, and finally getting an automatic, it's not the death sentence on fun that I thought it would be. It helps that I have a relatively powerful car, but I can tell you having to deal with Southern California traffic, having a slushbox and satellite radio has helped my sanity. Of course, maybe the occasional romp through the canyons with a stick could do the same.

My only hope if it does end up auto only is if they give us good paddle shifters. Quick shifts and rev-matched downshifts, and I think I would be happy

Thread tag as i'm chomping at the bit myself to get one in a year

This was a post from a fellow member here on the forums named Sassimac, his comments on the diesel CX-5:

Hello all...

I had my heart pretty much set on trading in my CX7 and buying a CX5. But all the reviews I read left me with the thoughts that the 2.0L motor was quite underpowered. Not what I wanted coming from a remapped CX7..!!!

When the 2.5L landed, I went to my Dealer and took it for a drive. I was to say the least underwhelmed. It was a nice car, but really lacked the power I was used to under my right foot. The Dealer Sales Manager then handed me the keys to the diesel CX5. Being very skeptical, I decided to give it a go.

Glad that I did..!!!

I was staggered at the power and acceleration this engine produced. I always believed that diesels were pretty sluggish, but not the CX5. It absolutely blitzed the 2.5L in sheer pulling power. It really was a case of surprise. I then looked at the fuel consumption on the dash. It was 6.1L/100km. That was the tipping point for me. My CX7 was sitting on 14.4L/100km.

I bought the diesel that afternoon.

This is exactly why the diesel 6 will sell well.

Oh, I'm entirely convinced that it'll be able to tow more than 2000lbs... The current version is rated in Austraila and Europe to tow just shy of 4000lbs (1800kg) regardless of engine/transmission choice, provided that one is using a braked trailer and appropriately managing tongue weight. As the vehicles are mechanically identical, there's no reason to believe that our model can't do the same. The reason it's rated so much less in our market is that almost none of the small trailers here have brakes or decent balancing. Even though the diesel's additional pep would make it a more bearable drive, the capcity issue isn't related to acceleration, it's controlling and stopping.

Are you talking about the CX-5 or the 6? My towing worries are only with warranty issues since the 6 in the US is not rated to tow ANY trailer. My TDI only has 90 hp and I tow 1500 pounds regularly.

2014 Mazda 6 is good in ride, acceleration and handling: Ride and handling are excellent. Body style the 2014 Mazda 6 is a front engine, front wheel drive midsize family sedan of unitized construction with four side doors and a traditional notchback trunk. Most important things Mazda is working on a Skyactiv-D version of its Skyactiv-equipped vehicles. That’s “D” as in diesel-powered. Think mileage considerably above the gasoline-powered Mazda 6’s Environmental Protection Agency-rated 38 miles per gallon on the highway.

Only if your towing directly causes a failure can Mazda void any warranty and it will only be the warranty area of whatever breaks.

Hey, just wanted to give a heads up: Suddueth13 was getting 16.3 mpg in he CX-7. With the CX-5 he is getting 38.6 mpg. Pretty big jump.

The gas engine really needs more power, it took a little bit to get it going and you have to get it up to higher RPM's to get it to go. The diesel really needs to be stronger (read 200+hp not 175 or lower in addition to the 300+ lbs ft of torque) than the 2.5 cause it really needs some more oomph to back up the handling. Its barely adequate in my books.

Back