Problem with getting gas!http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/banghead.gif

Pyroant

:
2002 P5
I am currently having a problem when trying to put gas in my car. It is a 02 P5, recently purchased on Jan 1. I don't know what mods were possibly done or what maintenance has been done or overlooked. The problem I am having is when trying to fill up or even put gas in my car it trips the pump as if the tank is full even though it isn't. I have heard this might be due to an EVAP leak, just recently it throws a code P0455 occassionally. Is there any specific area of the EVAP system I should be looking at to correct this issue? Any help would be issue would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently having a problem when trying to put gas in my car. It is a 02 P5, recently purchased on Jan 1. I don't know what mods were possibly done or what maintenance has been done or overlooked. The problem I am having is when trying to fill up or even put gas in my car it trips the pump as if the tank is full even though it isn't. I have heard this might be due to an EVAP leak, just recently it throws a code P0455 occassionally. Is there any specific area of the EVAP system I should be looking at to correct this issue? Any help would be issue would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried to fill up the tank with a jerry can? That's strange because the fuel pump nozzle has a sensor it that determines when to stop, you can fill up any type of container, not just a vehicle's fuel tank. Sounds like you need to get the fuel tank and fuel filler pipe inspected.

You'll want to check the hoses between the fuel tank and the charcoal canister of the EVAP system, too.

There should be a diagram under the hood of the car that shows vacuum and evap system lines...that code is related to the evap system, like you mentioned...

if the EVAP system is clogged or has a bad control valve/solenoid...whats probably happening is that vapor is building up in the tank...instead of being bled into the charcoal canister...if there is enough vapor rushing out when you attempt to fill the tank, that can trip the pump nozzle and shut it off...

As far as getting gas in the car...just barely put the nozzle into the filler neck, and only pull the trigger about half way...so that it slowly fills...just be careful with this crap, gas vapor is WAY more dangerous than liquid...static from even a cell phone can ignite it...

Since all the components of this system in question are directly related to gasoline...i'd highly suggest you take it to a good shop and have the evap system checked out...rather than start pulling gas lines and messing with it your self...even if you fix the problem with a new valve or something, you'll have to worry and constantly check for fuel leaks and stuff like that...not something to take very lightly...

Back