I think I'm in love... and questions

Jarpee28

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 6AT w/ Tech
First time poster, I think I am in love with the CX-5. I had an unfortunate event a week ago where I was involved in an accident and my longtime truck was messed up pretty bad, but the good news is I can get a new car. I have been researching compact SUVs the last several days, and in particular the CX-5 via these forums and online rankings and reviews. I drove an AWD Touring model today and it was a great experience. I was very interested to see the accelerating and merging ability on the interstate, especially after hearing and reading some poor reviews online and here. I found the vehicle to only be mildly lacking in that regard with the automatic transmission in charge while accelerating to ~60mph going uphill on a merge ramp. The next time I merged I used the manual shifting and found it to be no trouble at all in 4th gear with the RPM around 4500. Overall I was greatly impressed and I plan on purchasing one in the next week or so.

The questions I have are: I plan on purchasing the AWD Touring model with Bose/moonroof, I will try my hardest to get the price around 25500. The question is do you guys think going up to the GT trim is worth it, keeping in mind I am not a big fan of leather, but if the additional options are incredible I can of course handle it. Another question is how much difference do the 19in wheels vs the 17 inch wheels matter to ground clearance, mpg, and traction?

The last question is if I should really try to hold out somehow until the 2014s are available in my area (supposedly around mid to late February)

Also does anyone have any general getting started tips or buying tips that might not be mentioned elsewhere in the forum?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I can't wait to become an active member in this community!!!

I'll let others with the GT comment but for myself, I wanted the lighter, cheaper, more efficient manual version. I also wanted the 17" wheels as they are much more common and have many more options to replace.

Whether to wait for the 2014 models or not depends on whether you want the 2.5 engine or the 2.0. If you are looking for a deal, you can probably get a great deal on a 2.0 touring or GT once hte 2.5 comes out.

For buying tips, I would just suggest to contact different dealers of your intention to buy via email then deal with the internet sales managers. It was so pleasant to have several dealers internet managers working to get me the best deal via email rather than being at some dealership for hours and not knowing how good a price you are getting.

If you find the power adequate, want a sweet deal and don't have the luxury of time there's nothing at all wrong with the 2L. I'm waiting for the 2.5 and the new Forester XT before I make a decision. I do a lot of rolling hills at highway speed so really want more low end pull than than the 2L CX-5 has on tap. I'd love a diesel for this reason along with the bump in fuel efficiency but my anxiousness is met once again by disappointment but I'm hopeful these new gas mills can do the job for me. I found the new CR-V adequately powered (although bottom end still pretty weak) and the new CX-5 2.5 is a match on HP, winner on torque that hits lower in the band and should be a bit lighter, so I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as it arrives which from what I understand won't be too much longer- few weeks-ish...

I'm on the fence about going GT too. One important feature I require are heated seats. I think only comes on GT factory installed. I'd rather not purchase after markets. There are many extra goodies. Unfortunately they made it difficult to pick and choose so that some folks are left with stepping up to the next model.

Last edited:
IMHO, GT w/tech pkg is only way to go if you are used to premium/luxury cars, it's very well equipped at a reasonable price (leather, nav, heated front seats, bluetooth, Bose audio, moonroof, 19's, etc.).

I'm quite sure that soon they will release the 2.5L engine, I would wait for it.

IMHO, GT w/tech pkg is only way to go if you are used to premium/luxury cars, it's very well equipped at a reasonable price (leather, nav, heated front seats, bluetooth, Bose audio, moonroof, 19's, etc.).

I'm am used to them. I was gonna go the humble route. But oh well..

I agree. The tech package is a very good value. You get nav, keyless entry, auto-dimming rear view mirror, alarm system and adaptive HID headlamps for ~ $1300. I was not planning on getting the navigation as usually it is a rip-off. But I realized that I was willing to pay close to the price of the tech package for the other features alone.

I agree. The tech package is a very good value. You get nav, keyless entry, auto-dimming rear view mirror, alarm system and adaptive HID headlamps for ~ $1300. I was not planning on getting the navigation as usually it is a rip-off. But I realized that I was willing to pay close to the price of the tech package for the other features alone.

Good points on the tech pkg value and content, Mazda did well to partner w/TomTom to keep Nav pricing down.

+1

Thanks for all the replies. Now I am considering the GT AWD model. I really want either black/black or the gray exterior so I am trying to get quotes from all surrounding dealers with the Touring or GT trims with those specs, hopefully I can pay well below invoice on either one.

I put a deposit down on a 2014 Touring with Tech package last night with the idea that once it arrives I will have my pick between the '13 or '14 if I feel I don't need the 2.5L. I know vehicles get delivered to different regions at different times but it may be in your best interest to go talk to a dealer and see what they have on order and when they expect to get the '14. then you have the chance to try both engines. I got $700 off MSRP on the '14 and it is supposed to hit the St Louis area within the week. I know there are already some on lots in Indiana as well so they aren't too far away.

It's really personal preference - I guess when I was trading in my ML350 my goal was to keep the price as low as possible but get the features that are very important to me (nav, sunroof, heated leather).. so I went with FWD Touring but got the leather/heated seats via dealer install. Am I absolutely happy with no regret? I don't know.. sometimes I question myself and think maybe I should've gotten the GT model.. although besides leather and heated seats, everything else is fine by me - I didn't really need the 19" wheels as I'm ok with 17", and a couple other differences I can definitely live with.

However, one buying tip I would recommend - ask for 1-2 year included maintenance. That means your oil changes are covered if you come to them to service it. I find it has a value. Just my 2 cents :)

x3

Unless you're pinching pennies to get the lowest trim level, I would recommend getting all of the options. There's nothing worse than being 2 years into payments and wishing you had a nicer car or better amenities/luxuries.

x3

Unless you're pinching pennies to get the lowest trim level, I would recommend getting all of the options. There's nothing worse than being 2 years into payments and wishing you had a nicer car or better amenities/luxuries.

Not that I ever spend someone else's money since I have a difficult time parting with my own hard earned $$$, but if you're leasing, it's only a few dollars more per month for some nice creature comforts.

I am ignorant to any of the 2014 m/y changes, but IIRC, the only items that are exclusive to GT trim is 8-way power driver seat (compared to 6 in Touring), heated leather, dual auto climate, 19" wheels/tires, and true advanced keyless entry. Those are the major items anyway. Can't think of anything else.

I am ignorant to any of the 2014 m/y changes, but IIRC, the only items that are exclusive to GT trim is 8-way power driver seat (compared to 6 in Touring), heated leather, dual auto climate, 19" wheels/tires, and true advanced keyless entry. Those are the major items anyway. Can't think of anything else.

How can you forget the Synthetic Leather Door Trim instead of the ordinary cloth ?????? (hand)

That alone is worth upgrading to the GT!

How can you forget the Synthetic Leather Door Trim instead of the ordinary cloth ?????? (hand)

That alone is worth upgrading to the GT!

Bahaha!!!

Well, honestly, the dual climate and advanced keyless make it well worth the added expense to snatch up a GT. I'm not huge on leather interior, but having to pull the fob out every time to lock/unlock my Touring is irritating. Mazda dropped the ball on that.

Be careful once you get use to all the goodies there's no going back.

Back