Dealer installed hitch - hack-job on the bumper notch

CDub125

:
2013 CX-5 GT Zeal Red Mica
I'm new here, but just took delivery of my 2013 CX-5 GT with a tow hitch. $630 installed was the bill, no harness included... hmm, rip. For all that I received a decent install, but a hack bumper notch, what can I say to these guys? Besides "how about measuring" and "instead of a hedge clipper, try something more precise"... Overreacting? Let me know...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

makes me think that wasnt even for your car, usually hitches dont require you to cut up the bumper.

makes me think that wasnt even for your car, usually hitches dont require you to cut up the bumper.
They do on the Mazda hitch. Seems hardly worth the effort for the small gain in "hidden-ness". OP: Rather than have them replace the bumper, I would either 1) try to get them or 2) DIY retrim the cut so it's neater and more even from side to side and/or add some kind of plastic trim/edging to dress the cut. Good luck!

I hate to spoil your good feelings on the new CX-5.
But what a bad job, cutting ( demolishing ) the bumper.
I believe with an ordinary electric jigsaw !
Haven't they heart of ( precision ) tools http://www.feinus.com/en_us/oscilla...professional-set-automotive-workshop-0284168/

I always wonder, what work they make off their own car and stuff.
In the past i was a construction worker, and always took care to do my job the proper way.
Build, make, mount and weld things as if it was for myself !!

Currently i'am selling electric tools, also the Fein tools.
Every professional shout use them !

I hope you find the right solution for this messing up !

Gr. Karl

That royally sucks. If it were me, I'd trim some from the left side to make it symmetrical and take a hand file to try and slightly round the edges.

If you get a new bumper you are going to hope they do a better job of color matching the painted part than they do cutting.

I agree with paris1, clean it up with a finer toothed blade and even it out on each side.

Maybe express your displeasure with their General Manager and see if you can get a partial refund or free oil changes or something out of it.

In your shoes, I would be beyond livid. Did you catch the hack job and make note of it before you drove off? I'd first pour over all of my sales documentation just to make sure they don't have any sort of obvious loophole or proviso to hide behind that it's not their fault. I'd lay out my expectation that they need to stand by the quality of their work and either make acceptable repairs or replace the bumper.

Don't hesitate to take it up the food chain. I'm sure the salesperson you worked with had nothing to do with the poor installation job, but I'd wager the General Manager would be less than overjoyed to see that kind of a hack job coming out of their shop on a brand new vehicle.

edit: Damn, just slightly beaten to the punch line! Take it either to the GM or the most senior individual in the building, express your displeasure that such a disappointing piece of workmanship came out of their marvelously prestigious and well-respected dealership... it's all about striking just the right balance between disappointment and ego-stroking (wink)

Last edited:
From the way it looks it is hitting, and will likely cause a vibration when those two pieces rub.

Another reason I'm thrilled I went with the Curt hitch, in lieu of the OEM.

Best of luck in getting this resolved.

Hitting the "Like" button on your option paris1. If I can get some money back, great and I'd rather DIY the thing than let them touch it again (unless to replace), put a bandaid on the gunshot wound. I would have precisely trimmed it, then fitted a clean, edge finisher around the cut.

I hate to spoil your good feelings on the new CX-5.
But what a bad job, cutting ( demolishing ) the bumper.
I believe with an ordinary electric jigsaw !
Haven't they heart of ( precision ) tools http://www.feinus.com/en_us/oscilla...professional-set-automotive-workshop-0284168/

I always wonder, what work they make off their own car and stuff.
In the past i was a construction worker, and always took care to do my job the proper way.
Build, make, mount and weld things as if it was for myself !!

Currently i'am selling electric tools, also the Fein tools.
Every professional shout use them !

I hope you find the right solution for this messing up !

Gr. Karl

I hope they do the right thing as well, thanks Wheelie... These guys likely Sawzalled the thing, or smothered it in bacon grease and set a wild dog on it. I do precise work as well as a designer, this is really irking my OCD sensibilities.

In your shoes, I would be beyond livid. Did you catch the hack job and make note of it before you drove off? I'd first pour over all of my sales documentation just to make sure they don't have any sort of obvious loophole or proviso to hide behind that it's not their fault. I'd lay out my expectation that they need to stand by the quality of their work and either make acceptable repairs or replace the bumper.

Don't hesitate to take it up the food chain. I'm sure the salesperson you worked with had nothing to do with the poor installation job, but I'd wager the General Manager would be less than overjoyed to see that kind of a hack job coming out of their shop on a brand new vehicle.

edit: Damn, just slightly beaten to the punch line! Take it either to the GM or the most senior individual in the building, express your displeasure that such a disappointing piece of workmanship came out of their marvelously prestigious and well-respected dealership... it's all about striking just the right balance between disappointment and ego-stroking (wink)

Calling the SP at 4:30 today to discuss - It was in shadow at the dealership so I didn't catch the severity, you figure crap, who's going to do a better job on this than the dealer on a brand new sale... ooof.
If my SP doesn't help, the manager will hear from me. I really don't know what they could do if this is what they allowed out the door the first time.

From the way it looks it is hitting, and will likely cause a vibration when those two pieces rub.

Another reason I'm thrilled I went with the Curt hitch, in lieu of the OEM.

Best of luck in getting this resolved.

It's tight, but no rub... I'm thinking I could have knocked this thing out myself with little trouble. Thanks for the well wishes.

I personally think I'd prefer having the cutout cleaned up rather than a new bumper with non-factory paint on it.
Having gone through a nightmare of having our yellow P5 bumper painted 3 times in an attempt to get it to match I'm leery of paint work and the upper part of the bumper is painted. And they will have a nice little brochure to show you how bumpers never exactly match (ohhh the flashbacks!)
But you have to go with what you will be happy with in the long run.

If you get a new bumper you are going to hope they do a better job of color matching the painted part than they do cutting.

I agree with paris1, clean it up with a finer toothed blade and even it out on each side.

Maybe express your displeasure with their General Manager and see if you can get a partial refund or free oil changes or something out of it.

Thanks - I'll see what I can get out of them - the color should be right on since it's new, hope they couldn't mess that up... I bought a 5 year plan upfront for all the oil changes, fluids etc.

Damn. Wow, yeah I'd be pretty pissed about that. Hope you get it resolved. They messed that up big time.

+1 on what paris1 mentioned if the dealership doesn't come clean (which I cannot imagine they wouldn't or that you would let go of this if they balked).

Back