Weird Heater Issue

azuelke

:
2003 Protege5 | Black>Yellow
So about a month ago I peeled back my radio surround to test fit a tablet in the radio spot. I didn't pull it all the way off, didn't need to. About 3 weeks ago, I had turned on the heat only to have cold air blow at me. I just figured that I may have wiggled something loose when I pulled the surround back, so I got the whole thing loose and fiddle with what I could, then it worked later that day. Haven't had any problems up until yesterday when I started to act even more odd.

Whenever I turn the car off, it seems to redo whatever is wrong. To fix it, I pull the surround back from the top, only the first couple of clips down, then the heat starts flowing. It's too damn cold out to completely remove everything right now to check all connections, but the consistency of the problem and solution leads me to believe that it is not a connection issue since the bottom of the surround never moves.

If anybody has any idea or solution to this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

You Effed up the control cable for the heater flap.

It simply has to be put back into the retainer clip (Which is Sharp so be careful with bare hands)

Last edited:
I had a heater issue after I installed my single deck... Forgot to reattatch the cable to allow the vent to open underneathe the glove box.

Like brian said, the HVAC controls are 'physical' for vent position and temp setting...there is a metal cable running from both of those control knobs, that move various parts of the system...

if you didn't disconnect those cables when you were messing with the stereo surround...you most likely popped one of the two off the retainer clips that prevent them from binding...or worse, you could have stretched one or something causing it to not move the components properly when adjusting the settings...

there are a couple how-to's around here for stereo installation, or 'flickering AC light' fixes...that go into good detail on how to disconnect and reconnect those cables...

I knew of the cable that controls the zone, but wasn't aware of the temperature cable. I'll check once the tundra freeze leaves... too cold outside now to do anything. I just find it weird that once I get it running, it un-does itself if I shut the car off, even if just for a couple of minutes.

I knew of the cable that controls the zone, but wasn't aware of the temperature cable. I'll check once the tundra freeze leaves... too cold outside now to do anything. I just find it weird that once I get it running, it un-does itself if I shut the car off, even if just for a couple of minutes.

It's always a good idea to read up on stuff before pulling the dash apart.

It's quite easy to see from the passenger side, remove the clip holding the small panel or even take the glovebox out. Open the glovebox, and push in on each side, It will drop down and out. This opens up the entire area.

Get your head in there and move the heater control. You will see the cable move.

Set the cable in the metal clip and position the cable, then check to make sure that the control can go all the way Cold and Hot. If not, reposition until you get it right. No Need to go in here for nothing in the future.

Once you are statisfied that it is good, push it in the clip fully, There are two very sharp barbs in the clip that will hold the cable in place.

^^exactly. The cables cross each other too by the way, thats why he is saying the passenger side...The position setting routes over to the the drivers side...the temp setting routes over to the passenger side...

and as far as it 'redoing itself' when the car is turned off...I don't know...but that temp knob directly controls circulation for the heater core under the dash...so maybe its just that the heater core takes a lot longer to heat up, as you're circulating cold coolant through it at first...With mechanical heater controls like this, the engine will heat up faster if you keep the temp setting on the coldest position...as it keeps coolant circulating in the engine, rather than leaving to another radiator (the heater core is effectively just a tiny little radiator)...

so maybe its just not warmed up as soon as you thought it would be or something...

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to read up on stuff before pulling the dash apart.

It's quite easy to see from the passenger side, remove the clip holding the small panel or even take the glovebox out. Open the glovebox, and push in on each side, It will drop down and out. This opens up the entire area.

I have pulled the surround back, even off at times in the past, and have not had any problems... guess I was just lucky. I followed Bastian's link that has pics, shouldn't be a problem, now its just a waiting game for the weather to get a tad nicer.

Latest posts

Back