Bluetooth audio streaming

sxa

'23 CX-9 CE, '14 CX-5 Touring FWD, '16 CX-3 GT FWD
I know this has been brought up on this forum, but I don't know how the moderators here feel about bumping old threads. I was watching a cnet tech video about the CX-5, and one issue that was brought up was with the Bluetooth audio streaming, in the video there was an issue when the reviewer was trying to stream music on his android device with Pandora or Spotify it wouldn't play through the Bluetooth;however, using the regular audio player on the phone worked. There was another issue I read about on this forum where a user with an iPhone was losing meta data when using the bluetooth streaming.

These issues certainly are not deal breakers and I likely would just use the aux port since I really don't care about seeing what is playing on the screen, I won't be looking at that anyway while I am cruising down the highway. But I am curious to see if Mazda has had any software updates for the audio system that have addressed these issues. Or really if they have released any software updates for their audio system.

I have had no problems BT streaming Pandora, Slacker, and Spotify with my HTC Amaze running Ice Cream Sandwich. My friend's iPhone5 worked flawlessly as well. The only problem is that the BT doesn't show album, title, and artist name.

I have had no problems BT streaming Pandora, Slacker, and Spotify with my HTC Amaze running Ice Cream Sandwich. My friend's iPhone5 worked flawlessly as well. The only problem is that the BT doesn't show album, title, and artist name.

Thanks for the information that your Android does work for streaming Pandora and Spotify. Again the album information is no big deal, but it would be nice to stream music over BT using Android and Spotify.

I assume that if a call comes in while music is streaming, the music stops and you can answer by hitting a button on the steering wheel? I guess I could find this in the owners manual that I downloaded but would love to hear from some actual users how well this works.

I cannot find any flaws in streaming any audio (be it a data radio app or stored music files) via BT with my Android, iPhone 4 (non-s), and friend's iPhone 5. Other than the missing audio file info as mentioned before.

Yes, if a call is made or if there is an incoming call. One can proceed with the call with the pick up button. Once the user disconnects, the music will automatically resume.

Thanks again for the details. I have been driving dated cars for years so it will be fun to have some actual tech on board such as Bluetooth once I finally get my Mazda.

Let me add my 2 cents here before this thread ends on such a high note. I would agree with most of what's said here about Android connectivity with one serious caveat. I have an older phone (LG Optimus Slider) running the Android 2.3 software and the issue I have had involves maintaining the bluetooth connection to Pandora when the engine is shut down and restarted. The phone side reconnects every time, but the music connection is not nearly as reliable and usually takes a lot of "fiddling" around to restart. I finally gave up on it and now just use the 3.5mm connection for Pandora and bluetooth for the phone. What I lose in the process is any semblence of control over the Pandora program with the steering wheel controls. I'm hoping Mazda will make a software upgrade available for older models giving full Pandora integration.

Thanks for sharing your experience paris. The video I am referring to where I first saw these issues is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duv9byYl4rg

I have contacted Antuan Goodwin with cnet to find out what version of Android he is using in this video.

I do second the hopes for software updates, as discussed in the infotainment update thread, it should be doable to for them to provide updates.

I have an iPhone 5 and it works flawlessly. It even pauses spotify and pandora when I turn the car off. Paris, you may want to root and change your OS to get the newest Bluetooth software.

Seems Gingerbread is an issue, Antuan from cnet got back to me, he was running 2.3.x Gingerbread on an HTC Thunderbolt.

I ran a BlackBerry Torch 9810 and now a Z10 and I personally have no issues displaying my audio track information from MP3s on the screen. IT even shows my battery strength and signal strength on the corner of the screen.

I am doing an overnight "borrow" to make sure this is the vehicle I want and I am disappointed that Slacker Radio does not stream from my phone to the stereo. It's a 2014 CX-5. It streams BeyondPod just fine, and in fact it starts BeyondPod every time I get in the car (which I also don't care for). But no dice on Slacker Radio. Since I primarily listen to these 2 sources this is an issue for me. It sounds like if I use the auxiliary port I won't be able to control the music from the steering wheel controls. This and a few other things may be deal breakers for me. I'm disappointed the streaming doesn't work as I expected it would.

Back