Evo VIII Brembos Brakes and RX7 Brakes on the Protege 3rd Gen

Alejo_NIN

:
RadonElement.Com
ok, so i stumbled upon something on the interwebs.
there is a thread about someone fitting EVO VIII Brembos on a speed3

Brembo's on Mazdaspeed 6
i-142.jpg

i-144.jpg

EVO-X brembos on MS6
77050d1349807440-evo-brembos-mazdaspeed-6-img951202.jpg

Anyways, so onto the good stuff

the fact that this brakes cna be modified to fit the MS6, and the MS6 are direct bol-on to the Protege, leads me to believe they will be able to bolt up to the protege with minor modifications.

now, while eating crap on facebook i came across a post from a friend of mine prasing his new brake setup on his RX7...and guess what..they were EVO8 Brembos on his FD.

now, these are bolt-ons wihtout any modifictaions on the FD using G37 rotors.

So...putting one and one together...the FD brakes will fit the protege with minor modifications.

images

thoughts?

are these brakes an upgrade from the stock mazdaspeed protege brakes?

i'm getting a set for 100$ to test fit...

Interesting id love some brembos on my car so if they will fit then im game. I was just gonna stick with my es calipers but if i can get some brembos then im game subing for results

for $100, go for it. i wasn't implying that you would fail, just that i remember someone doing it a looong time ago. if i could fine the thread, i would link it...

for $100, go for it. i wasn't implying that you would fail, just that i remember someone doing it a looong time ago. if i could fine the thread, i would link it...

please, if you do...i would really like to see what rotors he used..

also...nobody has answered this yet..but would these calipers be an upgrade?

Im no expert but IMO brakes on a RX7 or and EVO are better than the oem ones on a protege. So they IMO would be an upgrade.

Yeah a buddy of mine has a set of RX7 calipers he has never got around to installing ill have him test them out on my car since his car is his daily and mine is just under construction

But IMO they would look sick and provide plenty of braking over the oem set up

please, if you do...i would really like to see what rotors he used..

also...nobody has answered this yet..but would these calipers be an upgrade?

Im no expert but IMO brakes on a RX7 or and EVO are better than the oem ones on a protege. So they IMO would be an upgrade.

Just based on the pictures, they look like two pot/piston calipers vs. the single pot ones on the protege. I'd like to think that that would afford you some extra stopping power.

i wanna tets fit the caliper...then i'll do my research on the rotos
i'm pretty shure the RX7 will fit...or perhaps the mazda 626 v6..

but for now, i'm just worried about test fitting the calipers

The 626 V6 rotors are the same as the MSP. I'm running V6 calipers up front and FD calipers out back.

Last edited:
found this too:

RX7.jpg

Mazdaspeed Protege
Rotor Size: Front/Rear
258mm/261mm (P5)
274mm/280mm (MSP)
MSP has the same front rotors as a 626 V6 & Mazda6 (rears also for mazda6).

Mazdaspeed6
Rotor Size: Front
320mm

RX7 FD
Rotor Size: Front
294mm

so, the FD wheels are in between the MSP and MS6 size...
definitely, the speed 6 are huge!

Last edited:
Both evo and FC calipers bolt straight up to the protege but you will require custom rotors or hats. This used to be a fairly common swap "back in the day".

Back