2014 Mazda CX-5 announced on Mazda Canada website

fredbuteau

:
Mazda3 Sport GS 2010, Black Mica, Corksport SRI
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that on the canadian Mazda site, we have the 2014 6 and the 2014 CX-5, along with specs, colours and pricing. There are a few errors on the site (like the CX5 coming standars on GS with a manual tranny and the fact that the new 2.5 engine is NOT direct injected wile it is on the 6) but still, it gives a good idea :)

CX-5: http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=CX5

Mazda6 : http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M6G

I want soul red!!!

I've seen 2014 Mazda 6 on dealer's lot and actually test drove one yesterday! It looks great on the outside but the inside is what captures my eyes! What a masterpiece! The design is similar to my CX-5 GT but the fit and finish looks more upscale. (I test drove the GS with luxury package, same as GT inside) Also the white HVAC display is much better than the orange in CX-5. I'm actually not that impressed by the power, considering the loss in weight and increase in power over cx5. It feels faster and lighter than cx-5 but the actual speed doesn't seem to be much quicker. But it's certainly more than adequate, just maybe my expectation is too high. Also the engine noise is noticeable, maybe due to cold weather and it likes revving. The drive is certainly good, steering feels direct, body roll is non-existent in the corner! (even with 17' wheel) It has a very confident ride while keeps pleasant. The plastic protection on the roof top make tremendous wind noise so I can't comment on the noise level besides engine noise. Back seat space is comparable to cx-5, so not that impressed. Trunk space is so so, deep enough but not tall enough. Overall speaking, what new 6 attracts me is its ride, exterior & interior design, fit & finish and maybe fuel economy. The downside is that it's too large for my taste while not providing more space than cx5.

Also the dealer told me to expect 2014 cx5 "in August". I said it should be here in feb or march then he said check it out in late march. Uhmm not that professional.

Interesting. Looks like the pricing is not much higher than June of last year when I got my GT. The new GT with the 2.5 is a bit over 100 lbs heavier. Also looks like the 17" wheels are standard on the GS(touring in the US) as well. There were rumors of the 19"s being standard on both GS and GT.

Last edited:
How much have the prices gone up for the 2.5l engine?

Hard to tell actually. Just looked at my purchase papers and my purchas price was $36,520 msrp. Calculating for a 2014 GT with tech package in white it's $35,245 so I'm not sure what the difference is unless it's provincial. It's no secret Canadians pay a huge premium over the US for cars. It's rediculous. Apparently though, I paid more for the smaller engine. Of course I think my msrp included destination.

No manual trans option with the larger 2.5 engine.

80426062.jpg

From the looks of it there won't be a diesel option for the 2014 model year for the CX5. *sadface*

It is so disappointing when car companies stop just short of offering a very nice combination of features. A CX-5 with 2.5L and stick would be such a fun vehicle. And clearly it wouldn't be that difficult for Mazda to offer it. But I know these decisions are based upon anticipated sales and that I don't represent the typical American buyer.

For if I was typical, then Ford would be offering a diesel Focus wagon in the USA. There would be several more compact and mid-sized hatchbacks. There would be many more vehicles with manual transmissions. Many more diesel engine options. All things that many companies build and offer in other countries, but do not offer in the USA.

It seems so odd for them to offer a stick option but only with the underpowered engine. But we know that option is there primarily so that Mazda and their dealers can run ads touting a SUV with 35 mpg highway mileage.

I would love to see them offer a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.5L Skyactiv engine and stick. That would be a very fun car to drive. So of course they won't!

well apparently Mazda USA fired all their web developers because there still isnt an online configurator for the 2014 CX-5 or the new 6

well apparently Mazda USA fired all their web developers because there still isnt an online configurator for the 2014 CX-5 or the new 6

No kidding. It is frankly ridiculous that it hasn't been updated. I've made a comment on their Facebook page too, and gotten no reply.

Not including at least an option for a manual w/ the 2.5L is just amazing. They go and build a nice shifting manual, claimed to be modeled on the miata, and then they refuse to sell it in the more desirably configurations. Nuts. The number of people who actually buy manual transmissions in the US must really be tiny. It bums me out, though. It would be nice if they did special orders even, so they weren't left with cars they can't sell ...

Back