CX-5 2014 Prices

Yes awd GT w/tech pkg seems to be up about $600 over late 2012 price or $1,000 up over price in March 2012.

Still a competitive MSRP.

Yes, noticed today that some dealers online are starting to include the 2014 in their offerings but no specifics as to equipment. Was also confusing that one mentioned cloth seats when giving the code for the GT.

As expected, the 2.5L is the only engine option on the touring & grand touring trim levels.

Now the decision whether to get Soul Red Mica or Meteor Grey... I am really happy that they aren't raising the price very much. Looks like I should be able to get a fully loaded FWD GT for under $30K. (alright)

Wow, just realized there's another color change from Zeal Red to Soul Red.......What's the difference between the 2 reds?

Soul Red Mica is their close match to the custom paint color that the new Mazda6 was painted at the LA Auto Show. It is an additional cost paint, like the white. It evidently required them to come up with some new paint process - I am sure that photos aren't doing it justice. I would call it closer to "Candy Apple" red than the more muted Zeal Red, which had a dusky/orangy look to my eyes. I was set on Stormy Blue before, but when I saw how badly it shows dirt on the dealer lot, I changed my mind. Having just seen the other thread on Meteor Grey - THAT is a beautiful color! Decisions, decisions.

Mazda6 2014.JPG

^ This is the 6 in red shown in San Jose last week (crappy iphone4 pic).

I was set on Stormy Blue before, but when I saw how badly it shows dirt on the dealer lot, I changed my mind.

After having White cars and Black cars, I've gone to grays. I always hand wash my cars to eliminate the "death" swirls from drive thru car washes and since I need to shut my outside water off in the winter, I seldom wash the car from late November to late March/early April. The grays don't show dirt unless they're really filthy and then I usually go to one of those do-it-yourself places and just use their pressure hose, never their brush. I've heard that red hides dirt similar to gray but have never owned a red car.

I am somewhat hesitant to get a red car, since they are such a head turning magnet, but the Soul Red is just so pretty... I would really like to see it and the meteor grey in person first, but I am afraid if I don't do a custom order in the next month, I will be waiting till May to get a car.

Zeal Red is the current red that comes with 2013 CX-5's. A slightly darker red (almost like burgundy in certain lighting) without much 'pop'. A grandma red that you'd find in late 80's cloth interior if you will.

Soul Red is what comes with the new 2014 Mazda6. It is a new color from Mazda and they used a special multi-stage process for the basecoats and metal flake induced clear. More of a true red with plenty of gold flakes for that extra pop and VERY nice depth, especially in direct lighting. From what I heard, it is very reminiscent of Mazda's Velocity Red Mica that came with the RX-8/MS6/MS Miata, which is known for color depth and metallic flakes in direct lighting.

I was actually planning on getting a Zeal Red CX-5 to match my Velocity Red RX-8. That was until I saw ZR in person and how much it reminds me of the burgundy I found in my aunt's old 1992 Honda Accord. Very disappointed. Hence the reason I went for Black Mica.

Last edited:
I wonder if the true market value listed on the Edmunds site is going to be close to accurate. It lists $27,483 as True Market Value for the 2014 CX-5 Touring with the Moonroof/Bose Package + Tech Package. Currently without haggling the local dealer is selling the 2013 with these packages for $27,009. My curiosity stems mostly from having to decide if I should wait until the 2014 is out to either A) get a 2014 or B) take advantage of the 2014 being out and get a good deal on a new 2013.

Has anyone ever used the Costco Auto Program? In regards to the "premium" colors. I wonder how difficult it would be to match these in the event of an accident. I also am trying to figure out what colors are easiest to touch up.

I checked out the Costco program when I was shopping. Costco gives your name and contact info to the closest participating dealer. What that dealer told me was that they would give you $100 over invoice on a vehicle "in-stock". Unfortunately, my dealer didn't have many CX-5s in stock and wasn't that interested in getting what I wanted in-stock so I ended up going elsewhere.

I picked up my Soul Red CX-5 FWD Grand Touring Automatic to day. I went through the Costco Auto Program and bought it from Freeman Mazda, Mesquite, TX. It's loaded, leather, tech package, Moonroof, 19" alloy wheels. No other options or accessories. It has a Pinstripe which I wasn't charged for and looks great. I had them deduct the $300 they attempted to charge me for Dealer Tint. (ridiculous).

I submitted the Costco Auto Dealer request online, and when I got the name of the nearest dealer I checked out their inventory. They contacted me with the 2014 CX5 pricing and this is my breakdown:-
*MSRP $30,040
*Invoice $29,203
*Costco Auto ePrice $28,203!
*Soul Red Paint + $300
*Mazda Loyalty Rebate - $500 (I traded in my 2007 CX9)
*Subtotal = $28,003 ( $1200 under invoice)

TTL
6.25% sales tax , + $350 in title, license and document fees. I qualified for the .9% apr over 36 months

COSTCO AUTO PROGRAM = (best $35 I ever spent)

You have to pay for the Costco Auto program? Or is the $35 your membership fee?
My Costco membership fee is $50.
Got my '14 Crystal White Pearl AWD w/ Tech Package for $29,200 bf TT&L, including Mazda Loyalty $500 cash back for trading in our '06 3 GT hatch w/70k miles. Gave me $6400(kbb fair condition trade in price) for it. Listed for $11,975.
Saw it off their site a few weeks later. Prob made a few thousand off of it. Needed new front struts & new oil pan gasket.

Back