Fog light indicator

jeremy44

:
CX-5 AWD GT with Tech pkg
For Canada and US
Is there indication in the gauges that show you've turned on the fog lights?
Kinda surprised mine doesn't have it or either burned out?

not on mine, I think it's a silly omission

It is a silly omission when you look at all the other idiot lights that crowd the gauges. I would have thought that a single LED/LCD display that indicates fault with any critical system would have been better and looked cleaner than the Christmas light display that is used currently. This may be my only gripe about the CX-5...I think I can get passed it.

I'm not missing it. Most of the time (in darkness in auto light mode) fogs are on, useful since I use unlit country roads to get home and fogs create no additional glare for oncoming cars.

I'm not missing it. Most of the time (in darkness in auto light mode) fogs are on, useful since I use unlit country roads to get home and fogs create no additional glare for oncoming cars.

Actually, fog lights do create additional glare (especially when the pavement is wet with rain). One thing fog lights do not do is increase vision down the road (the vision you need when travelling above 35 mph). I drive a lot on unlit country roads and all three of my cars are equipped with fog lights. None of them increase visibility more than 30 feet in front of the vehicle and all of them increase glare for oncoming drivers.

But I am often impacted by the glare from those drivers who insist on using them on 50 mph unlit State highways when it's not foggy (but it is rainy).

One thing fog lights do not do is increase vision down the road (the vision you need when travelling above 35 mph).

Agreed. I use them when I want a wider swath of light in low visibility conditions to see what's on the shoulder.

Yes, agreed, I find the fogs useful for close range only at lower speeds on the dry country roads where I live. Actually glare is not significant problem with CX-5 when compared to glare off the low beams and considering very little oncoming traffic in my area.

Usually when I notice unwanted glare off of fogs, it's on vehicles with modified lighting.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed, I find the fogs useful for close range only at lower speeds on the dry country roads where I live. Glare is not significant problem when compared to glare off the low beams and considering very little oncoming traffic in my area.

Usually when I notice unwanted glare off of fogs, it's on vehicles with modified lighting.

yes, they're great for showing up the detail on the pot hole heading your way(wow)

The fog lights in most modern cars (including all Mazda's) should not be considered real fog lights. They simply do not omit enough direct lighting nor the proper spread to be of any use, even at low speeds. We are talking about the forward lights of course.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

For those who have individually wired their fog light power source to come on without having to use the low beams. You will know exactly what I'm talking about. The usable light output from them alone is... Useless (rolleyes) .

Last edited:
Shoudn't they be called "driving lights"?. I always considered fog lights to be yellow.

It is all in what area they light.

Driving lights shine way out in front of you and aren't actually very common as I believe they aren't supposed to be on with low beams since they would really glare at oncoming traffic.
They were probably more popular as supplemental lights back before headlights got so much better for people who drive in areas where you can use your high beams more. Growing up out in the middle of nowhere we used high beams a lot but I almost never use them anymore and haven't replaced a high beam bulb in 20 years.
They are also handy for off-road use.

Fog lights shine low and close to help light the road and edge when it is foggy. I worked with an ex-cop before who said years ago the CHP did tests on what color light was best for fog lights and he said that yellow didn't help any and what really matters is how low the light is mounted for getting under the fog.

The problem I see a lot is people aim their fog lights up high because they think they should light up a long ways away rather than just in front of the car.

here's a good picture showing the difference: http://ups.mazda626.net/monthly_08_2012/post-15320-0-79039600-1344359348.jpg

Trevor
Mazda CX-5 Oil and filters

Last edited:
Does anyone know of an after market fog light for the CX-5 or a way to put a fog light in the current mold that is in the front bumber if you don't have them?

Not sure if the cx-5 sports are pre-wired for fogs like other models are. Probably best to go to the dealer to check on assemblies.

Jeff

Back