transmission fluid change

abkdt41

:
2003 Mazda Protege LX
I recently bought a 2003 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 Took it to the mechanic for an oil change and he said the transmission fluid was a bit dark. Suggested I do an drain and fill. The car has 138,000 kms.

I checked the transmission fluid myself today while the engine idling in Park. (picture attached) pink is the new fluid....brown is my transmission fluid

I am not sure what I should do, just drain and refill the fluid or drop the pan, change the filter, gasket etc.

What do you guys suggest?

trans.jpg

Last edited:
i know - but im just wondering whats best for the car at this stage

its never been done before

So i decided to do a drain and fill today

Got everything ready - jacked up the car

Got underneath - not enough room for a socket and the biggest wrench I had was a 7/8" - but this is not big enough for the drain plug

Anyone know what size to use on the drain plug? And where to buy such a wrench?

I tried using an adjustable wrench but it kept slipping - didnt want to strip the bolt

7/8" is 22.2mm, so 17mm is definitely too small, so you probably need a 23 or 24mm wrench. Do you have calipers? if so, you can measure the flat-to-flat distance of the plug head and then by a box-end wrench for about $8 at Harbor Freight.

thanks concept

i got the 23 mm wrench - will try again on saturday

hopefully with more luck

I drain and fill every 2 years, since the amount you can drain is no more than half of what's in the transmission. You might want to get a graduated translucent (wide mouth) container. That way, you will find it easier to put back in the same amount you removed. You can get one (5-liter size) for $8.15 at McMasters:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#graduated-plastic-bottles/=l3zacl

i did the drain and refill today

23 mm was too big - i believe thats the size for the manual transmission - not sure

19 mm worked

approx 3 litres came out

i filled it through the dipstick area - just have to be careful, if you add to much it spits back

19mm is about 3/4". I wonder how your 7/8" wrench wasn't big enough. Maybe you were trying a 5/8" wrench?

Back