Intake manfold screws

:
92 mx3/05 mazda3
Hi,new to the forum.I have a question.I just bought a 2002 protege5(auto),which doesnt fall in the recall year.Should i still remove the intake manifold an check the screws??Is there any cases of the 2002 loosing the intake screws also??A i keep seeing is the 2003's..thanks

I don't have the info right in front of me...but the VTCS screw issue was apparent through a production time, and only the VIN will give you the exact info on if your car could be affected by it...meaning, it wasn't just 2002's or 2003's...it was when the car was produced, and some late 2002's and early 2003's had the problem iirc...search around for the recal/TSB info...and compare it with your vin number for a better idea...

obviously, yeah, you could inspect your VTCS system...but pulling the intake manifold isn't exactly a 'knock it out in an hour' type of job...its kind of a pita...can be done in an afternoon with a good set of tools and a friend or two to help hold crap...

tough call, bud...when those do let screws out...some guys get away with a closed spark plug...some have cylinder walls and piston rings destroyed...i'd check it out, too...just put a weekend into it, it takes some patience...

Yeah, do it just to get rid of clattering noise and intake restriction. Better safe than sorry. Search on "removing vtcs".........You can also find intakes with the mod alrready done in the FS section. Just saw one for sale the other day here........Here, nice clean painted one for 160 but they can be had for less here and there, gotta look or do work yourself......

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ke-manifold-VTCS-removed-ported-painted-black

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no clattering noise at all,but I might still take it off an look.my protege is not one of those, that fell in the recall bracket,but I was just checking to see if screws was coming loose on those that didn't fell in the recall bracket also!

There have been a few people with VINs not included in the recall that have had this happen. The "clattering" sound I was referring to is just the noisy top end inherent to these cars. Removing the VTCS does quiet it down. If there was a screw loose it'd sound more like a machine gun not a clatter.

I have an early 03 that didn't fall within the vin recall but had the crushed spark plug happen 3 times before I removed the VTCS. Upon removal of intake, 3 valves weren't even connected, just sitting on top of the port. I got lucky all 3 times and wasn't going to push my luck any further. I lost a bit of power in lower rpm's but feel a significant increase from 3500 rpms and up. If it's a concern of yours, I'd def put in the time. Post back up and let us know how you turned out.

I have an early 03 that didn't fall within the vin recall but had the crushed spark plug happen 3 times before I removed the VTCS. Upon removal of intake, 3 valves weren't even connected, just sitting on top of the port. I got lucky all 3 times and wasn't going to push my luck any further. I lost a bit of power in lower rpm's but feel a significant increase from 3500 rpms and up. If it's a concern of yours, I'd def put in the time. Post back up and let us know how you turned out.

Dam..well ive no notice the chatter at startup,so am going to take the manifold off....I also notice that it fall within the recall vin range too..`I hope the intake manifold aint to hard to come off!!llol

The VIN range was the Mazda 'best guess' when the installer for these parts started omiting the red loctite and properly torqueing the screws.

Go ahead and remove and inspect just for the piece of mind. And for the performance if you remove the VTCS (but be sure to red loctite the VICS screws too. ;)

..and since the intake manifold is off - do the rear engine mount too, eh?

wow...I had no idea so many had VTCS problems outside of the VIN range...Mine is coming out in about a week (full removal as i have an MP3 ecu now anyway), but i guess i've been lucky for 155,000 miles haha.

bad. The VICS is our variable intake runner length which helps low end and high end engine breathing. You can feel it as it changes over at 5.5K RPMs (IIRC)...

There have been a few people with VINs not included in the recall that have had this happen. The "clattering" sound I was referring to is just the noisy top end inherent to these cars. Removing the VTCS does quiet it down. If there was a screw loose it'd sound more like a machine gun not a clatter.

Mines dont sound like that!!Its only at startup,which is making think hard about taking the Manifold off..my protege have 125,000 miles on it!

i remove the manifold on sunday,screws was tight,but i remove it anyways...I notice that my VICS system was jam open from old oil..I had to clean it,an i also red lock tight the screws.After i reinstall the intake manifold,i figured out why the VICS system was jam...Bad vacuum solenoid..What the best way to replace the rear engine mount??

i remove the manifold on sunday,screws was tight,but i remove it anyways...I notice that my VICS system was jam open from old oil..I had to clean it,an i also red lock tight the screws.After i reinstall the intake manifold,i figured out why the VICS system was jam...Bad vacuum solenoid..What the best way to replace the rear engine mount??

ha, damn dude...the best way to get to that mount is with the intake manifold off...and even then its still a pain...even more with the intake manifold still on...

Latest posts

Back