Humming on left turn? Clunking? Help diagnose please

murdox

:
03 prot5
2003 P5 - 76k stickshift

When i turn left at speeds higher than 25mph or so - i hear a noticable humming noise coming from the front, it does not happen when i turn right at the same speed. Power Steering Pump failure?

Also - i hear some clunking/clicking from the front end when traveling slow over bumps. On the highway you dont hear it. Its more pronounced when going downhill slowly.

Not a p5 guy at all so please dont flame, this is my commuter car.

thanks in advance

When i turn left at speeds higher than 25mph or so - i hear a noticable humming noise coming from the front, it does not happen when i turn right at the same speed. Power Steering Pump failure?

if it hums when you turn one way, and not the other, that's usually a sign of a bad wheel bearing.

Also - i hear some clunking/clicking from the front end when traveling slow over bumps. On the highway you dont hear it. Its more pronounced when going downhill slowly.

sounds like you have bad sway bar end links.

hmmm - pretty sure the PO did all of the wheel bearing, i saw a receipt for it in the glovebox.

I was assuming the worst with psteer pump failure. I was hoping it was sways

thanks for your help

Once I noticed a clunking when my left wheel came off the car...I'd check to make sure its still there.

Relax, its a joke...Hard to say without actually seeing/hearing it in person.

depending on the miles could be a cv joint causing both issues in my old car when they started to go it would produce the same issues. they are relatively cheep to replace so if it is that your in luck.

+1 on wheel bearing or cv joint. Does it make the noise if you turn the wheel to the left when parked?

same thing happened here a while back. car sounded like it was running some sort of monster truck tires the humming was so bad at speeds above 25mph. It was some sort of inner bearing, not the outer one. I think it was around $600 all in. the part was over $200 iirc. my opinion is that a bad outer bearing would not cause clunking. get it checked out.

Edit: I just re-read, and if it is only happened during a turn in certain direction, it probably is the outer bearing or CV, although CV joints usually click when they are bad.

Back