2013 Incentives/Pricing

dellapor

First time poster here and looking forward to being part of the community.

I am currently on the fence between a 2014 and 2013 model and I am very price sensitive, but also prefer to have the bigger engine. Anyway, was just wondering when dealers became more aggressive with financing incentives and taking less than MSRP. If everyone could share there experiences that would be great (for instance, "So and so bought 2 months after release and mazda offered 0.9% and we got the car for $1k less than msrp).

I have a car already so if waiting a few more months after release date to buy gets me an extra $1k off and lower APR, then I will, just trying to assess options at this point. Thanks!

Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too...bigger engine, discounted price. Depending on your planned usage, the 2013 w/2.0L engine may be more than sufficient and will offer you the best opportunity for deeper discounts when the 2014 models roll in and the 2013s are still on the dealer's lot. No one can guarantee the outcome of future events so a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your new ride!

^True that

Go in now and begin negotiations. Wait a month or two, test drive the 2014, then negotiate some more. You know they want to move the 2013s, so if you prefer that then finish them off with a price you are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
^True that

Go in now and begin negotiations. Wait a month or two, test drive the 2014, then negotiate some more. You know they want to move the 2013s, so if you prefer that then finish them off with a price you are most comfortable with.

Don't wait too long since once the 2014's start coming in, the inventory of 2013's will become scarce.

So what would be fair to ask for a touring FWD, if invoice is around 23,400?
Baseline is you should never pay more than invoice. Anything better than that is cream, including of course any factory incentives like Mazda owner loyalty $$.

Don't wait too long since once the 2014's start coming in, the inventory of 2013's will become scarce.

This. CX-5's are selling like hot cakes left and right. Don't expect too much 'incentives' with such demands.

This. CX-5's are selling like hot cakes left and right. Don't expect too much 'incentives' with such demands.
You mean like the $500 Mazda owner loyalty cash and 0.9%/36 month financing 3 months ago when there were virtually no cars in hot markets like Calif.? There can be many reasons for buyer and/or dealer incentives. Sales rates are just one of them.

Last edited:
They've had the $500 Mazda owner loyalty cash discount for over a year. Prior to that, they threw in two year maintenance for free. Hell, I had 0.9%/36 on my CX-5 that I got three weeks ago.

My impression of the situation is this:

The CX-5 is a brand new model line. Mazda is trying to get the cars out there by offering incentives and a pretty attractive price point (low profit margin). Mazda finds out that the car is selling like hot cakes, but also has some improvements/changes requested by owners. The next model year is changed, but the demand is there and thus higher prices or lower/no incentives.

This is just speculation since I have not studied Mazda's track record for releasing new models.

Edmunds has the 14s up and the $ seems both credible and reasonable 26660 for awd touring with dest so +720 is the baseline number but this spread grows to 1020 with tech added due to the new safety stop gizmo. Still pretty happy as power was my main issue with the current. X1 and forester xt round out my top contenders for crv replacement.

Back