Suspension upgrades coming soon

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Hey guys so i decided that im going to go ahead and switch out my suspension a bit since its been getting very squeaky in the mornings and I got a new job. Anyways I decided to go ahead and get the KYB GR-2 strut replacements on all four. But I also am thinking of switching out my springs as well. I saw some ba blue m2 performance springs on sale and were stated as lowered springs. Anyways my question is, if i install theses struts with lowered performance springs could it possibly be a bad combo? Like would the spring be too short for the strut? I mean it says its compatible with mazda protege5 so id think its probably the same size as oem. Please let me know cause im planning to buy everything very soon. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The GR-2's are valved for stock springs, so they may not last as long with lower springs. Although I know Jiggabro is on GR-2's with Progress springs and I dont think he's run into any problems so far.

Try and maybe get Tokico Blues if your budget allows for it...and if you haven't already ordered the KYBs.

I replaced my front struts with GR-2's when the stock struts died a few years ago...used them for about 30,000 miles with Tein S-tech springs...

the GR-2s felt the same as stock (at least for the front, my rear stock struts were still fine) with those springs...which was a little bouncier than i'd like, but they settled quickly...travel was also ok, conisdering those are pretty soft lowering springs...on my crappy local roads, with multiple high speed train track crossings (abandoned track that you simply keep speed over)...i never bottomed out or anything...but they would still dive considerably under breaking and cornering hard...

so i'd say, on a budget...its fine...not ideal, though. I recently bought a set of Tein SS coilovers...the difference is night and day, despite having the ride height set at roughly the same measurement (2" drop all around)...the gr-2s are great for the price, and won't be any worse than stock struts with lowering springs...but some stiffer Tokico's would compliment lowering springs a lot more, i'd imagine...

Back