best pics for CAI??

MrsZR7

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I recently found a hole in my stock intake tube. I did a temporary fix with duct tape, which seems to be holding well enough that I'm going to hold off on replacing it with a cold air intake system instead.
Now, since I don't want any cheap crap, what's the best choice for the best fitting and best quality cold air intake system? I plan to keep my P5 for a long time, so I don't mind a little extra cost for something that's worth it.

Who ever modified my intake did a HAI... the pipe isn't long enough to reach the stock location, so I have an air filter chilling near the Exhaust. Pretty lame but I'll fix that later.

a lot of people forget about simota. Unless you need that little CARB sticker (which you can buy off ebay for $15) get the simota CAI

IMG00005-20100905-1531copy.jpg

P5 with an Injen. (breakn)

Just got a Cosmo racing cai I got one half the price or injen and k&n and sounds the same as them too

I ended up with the Injen. Looks like a nice product!
The only issue, is the installation :eek:
which says I have to remove the bumper. I saw there's a metal panel right about where the intake filter will be - can't I just remove that panel so I can install the filter?

Last edited:
U don't have to remove the bumper . What I did was take the front driver side wheel off and open the plastic guard in the wheel well . There will be a couple screws under the car too but when u open it up ull have easy access to the left wheel well without taking the bumper .

U don't have to remove the bumper . What I did was take the front driver side wheel off and open the plastic guard in the wheel well . There will be a couple screws under the car too but when u open it up ull have easy access to the left wheel well without taking the bumper .
Excellent!! I love that idea!

Next question: did anyone get the optional water repellent cover? At least Injen does have one available, and given the difficult accessibility of the filter, I'm wondering if I should get one before I do the installation.

I didn't get one for mines but I wouldn't worry if I were you . Where I live we have had the worst snowfall in 6 years and I've gotten snow upto my bumper and no problems... The only way you car will suck up water is if you engine is literally submerged in water and unless you plan on driving into a lake ull be fine lol . My 2 cents

i have the K&N Typhoon system in mine
heres the link http://www.knfilters.com/air_intake/mazda_protege5.aspx

I have this as well..

If i was to ever re-do it I would just go with Injen because it's cheaper and maybe even just throw a K&N filter on it

I didn't get one for mines but I wouldn't worry if I were you . Where I live we have had the worst snowfall in 6 years and I've gotten snow upto my bumper and no problems... The only way you car will suck up water is if you engine is literally submerged in water and unless you plan on driving into a lake ull be fine lol . My 2 cents

edit: and I also live up north and drive frequently in snow and rain, never had a problem... just dont tromp through massive puddles on the drivers side or try and take your car swimming and you should be dine

edit: and I also live up north and drive frequently in snow and rain, never had a problem... just dont tromp through massive puddles on the drivers side or try and take your car swimming and you should be dine

this

I also have an Injen and I like it

here's my engine bay with the Injen CAI, excuse the absolute filth

DSC_0027.jpg

Thanks guys!
It wasn't really the water repellency of the pre filter I was looking for, so much as it being a barrier against dust and other crap.

Your air filter is the barrier against dust and other crap. Besides, with the inner fender in place the filter is pretty well protected from flying things. I was also concerned driving in heavy rain which happened about a month after I installed the Injen kit but no problem. Make sure the rubber elbow is seated well into the throttle body. Our cars are known to eat through aftermarket intake elbows as it rubs against the master cylinder. Cheap ebay kits will do this. The Injen kit has a pretty tight radius and gives another inch or two of clearance over ebay intakes which just use normal 90-degree aluminum tubing.

Last edited:
Back