Just Bought 02 P5. Looking to Buy In Dash Navigation. Any Suggestions?

Armanirx7

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,

I was a big rx7 guy and I still am but I needed to buy a family car so I decided to get a P5. So far I am very happy with the purchase. I am looking to upgrade the head unit and install a touch screen navigation system to give it that more modern interior look. Any suggestions on what I should buy? I am not sure which brand or model fits well in our cars.

Thanks you

mp3car.com its a forum/market for car computers and building your own. im piecing together a set up that will allow me to plug my phone in and replicate it on a 10" touch screen in dash. ill have my music,gps, internet browser, pandora, youtube, and obd2 diagnostics for around $500-600

Do not get a cheap one be prepared to pay $800+ for one worth getting. I personally like the kenwood units

The Kenwood units are pretty good, but they use garmin for their nav. I hate garmin. If you like garmin, then they are great units. I personally prefer pioneer units, I like their nav better. I can't remember the brand they use, but its not garmin! As stated above, a good unit will start around $800 regardless of brand. If you pay less (new obviously), it is problably not going to perform as you would like. DON'T get one of the off brand no name eBay specials! Not only do they perform slower than a dying yak, they ate usually slightly larger than a standard double din unit and are difficult to install in double din openings without modifications to the car. I get customers all the time bringing these things in and think they got the deal of the century until I explain this to them.

+1 to staying with a known brand (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, etc.)

I have a Kenwood DNX8120 and LOVE the Garmin Nav on it. Best part is that you can torrent the map updates for free ;)

I have a JVC unit with the build in HD-Radio tuner (selling point for me). I *DO NOT* recommend it due to the lack of turn-by-turn navigation. It tells you where to go, but not the route that you will be taking to get there.

Not sure if the newer units have it or not but the NT3HDT does not.

I'd almost considering building a car-puter for a replacement but there is way too much effort to build it, and configure it.

When you are looking, check out boot time. If your radio takes a full minute to turn on it gets annoying.

I'm currently using a pioneer avh-p6800dvd, (which is an older unit) Love it! However, you need to add a separate Nav computer unit (AVIC-U220) which I haven't broke down and purchased yet because I use my Galaxy S3 for Navi. That and the fact that I wasn't sure about having to wire in a separate device, but the cool part is that it pulls out like a hard drive and can be updated easily and if you have multiple cars just install the dock in them and you can swap the unit to each.

Thanks guys. I was doing a lot of research on these units and here is a crazy question. Do they sell in dash units that you can sync with your android device. That way I can enter the address into my phone and it will show up on the in dash screen. Or, I can pull up pandora on the phone and have it play in the car.

Crutchfield is great for research, just like Best Buy - then go buy on Amazon/SonicElectronix/Ebay LOL

K i have some good news and some bad news.. bad news is that I am not getting a in dash navigation.. good news is that my brother in law had an extra in dash dvd player w/ bluetooth at his shop (still new in the box) so he is going to install it this weekend. I will only need to buy the mazda wiring harness and the double DIN Installation kit (total for $26 w/shipping).

K guys I have photos of my car and the installed touch screen dvd player. I hope you guys enjoy it.
2013-01-03130600.jpg
2013-01-03130648.jpg
2013-01-14125938.jpg

Last edited:
Back