Oil return line options

jscott

:
03 spicy orange MSP
I did a search on this subject but came up empty...I have a protege pan with a tube welded on and rubber hose up to the turbo....I do not like this set up but need some help on what the best option is for this.....I am scared to death that the exhaust will melt a hole in the rubber hose and cause a very bad ending for my engine....any help with what everyone is running would be great...pics please

I am not understanding how a windage tray will help, doesn't a windage tray keep oil from slashing onto crank? How would that help my oil return line from the turbo?

the mazdaspeed windage tray has a bung for oil return

btw... i do address your concern... i've had it happen to me... hit a boulder on the road... it shifted me downpipe... came in contact with my oil return hose... luckily fixed it before running dry... i'm still running the same setup... but now i have the return line routed differently and tie strapped away

Last edited:
the mazdaspeed windage tray has a bung for oil return

btw... i do address your concern... i've had it happen to me... hit a boulder on the road... it shifted me downpipe... came in contact with my oil return hose... luckily fixed it before running dry... i'm still running the same setup... but now i have the return line routed differently and tie strapped away

my hose is uncomfortably close to my DP thats why I was concerned....I bought the car this way, ran it for about 4 months like that and the engine blew, rebuilt and have been running about 3 months I just don't like it....the windage tray, that is the aluminum piece between block and oil pan correct? and the stock windage tray had a bung? where could I find one (for when I finish my forged engine) I would want something safer than the hose...also would heat wrap help this problem? thanks for all the help BTW

Have to google search for the windage tray. Yes the stock Mazda speed protege has a fitting for oil return on it. Heat wrap will help for sure. My bottom radiator hose would touch my down pipe. I put about 5 squares of heat wrap inbetween. It would take about 3-5 months for it to burn through. Although I completely fixed that issue now.

Yes windage tray is between the block and oil pan aka main bearing support plate.
They sell it at a particular website that is banned from here for $385. Google MBSP MSP and you'll find it. Or you could try posting a WTB thread.

Last edited:
Have to google search for the windage tray. Yes the stock Mazda speed protege has a fitting for oil return on it. Heat wrap will help for sure. My bottom radiator hose would touch my down pipe. I put about 5 squares of heat wrap inbetween. It would take about 3-5 months for it to burn through. Although I completely fixed that issue now.

Yes windage tray is between the block and oil pan aka main bearing support plate.
They sell it at a particular website that is banned from here for $385. Google MBSP MSP and you'll find it. Or you could try posting a WTB thread.

cool thanks

attachment.php

I went to a hydaulic supply store and bought a steel fitting. I tapped the windage tray and threaded the fitting in with sealant on the threads. You could do the same in a different location than stock and run the return away from your downpipe.

Hey Brian, if you're giving away windage trays then I'll take one (maybe 2) if you don't have a problem with it. Just let me know how much and it's yours!

attachment.php

I went to a hydaulic supply store and bought a steel fitting. I tapped the windage tray and threaded the fitting in with sealant on the threads. You could do the same in a different location than stock and run the return away from your downpipe.

thats nice!!

Back