Mazda5 ATF Recommendations...Fluid, cooler, filter?

I did a complete flush on my 2012 Mz5 with 26K miles recently. I did add a Hayden 677 medium duty trans cooler in the process. I used valvoline MV import synthetic trans fluid. I have not experienced the smell issue that others have reported with this fluid. Typical fluid temp decrease seen with these coolers are about 30-40 degrees.

I will stay with AMSOIL atf. Very worth it in terms of endurance, performance, protection...............and smell.

I did a complete flush on my 2012 Mz5 with 26K miles recently. I did add a Hayden 677 medium duty trans cooler in the process. I used valvoline MV import synthetic trans fluid. I have not experienced the smell issue that others have reported with this fluid. Typical fluid temp decrease seen with these coolers are about 30-40 degrees.
I have also been running a Hayden stacked plate cooler, not tube and fin. It is the 20,000lb GVW one so it is oversize for our cars. I have also not experienced any odd smells from the fluid. The return line going back to tranny is never more than just warm where you can hold line all day with bare hand. The shifting was noticeably better and has been ever since swapping fluid. Got a box with a fresh jug of AMSOIL about needing to be swapped in. Has been about 60k and old AMSOIL fluid still looks, feels and smells just like the fresh stuff does.

100_1319.jpg

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread. Only that when reading the title, I really thought Silentnoise was overly concerned about the color of his transmission fluid...

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread. Only that when reading the title, I really thought Silentnoise was overly concerned about the color of his transmission fluid...

I don't think so. I've done a few card with 100k km on them and NON were or smelled or looked as bad as Mazda 5 after 25k.
At first I though I drained a wrong fluid.

LOL, how did you get that?? Cooler = Color?

If anyone want more details on M-V, I'd suggest looking up its origins: Ford Motorcraft FRN5. See BITOG post below, specifically unDummy's input. Some here have posted using Maxlife. Up to you to make the best judgment if it is appropriate. Granted this is just a random internet SN but the level of detail suggests this person knows what he/she is talking about.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=523691

Just don't bother with the generic ATF's. Some of the so-called no-name ATF's do not meet the specs they claim are safe. Maxlife and WP multivehicle do NOT meet the cold flow requirments, even though they claim universal usage.

Last edited:
I believe M-V = MV = M5. The dealers call it ATF M-V (Type M5) part# 0000-77-112E-01. It is NOT Mercon V :)

I think you're right, now I don't recall why I thought there was a difference. I know that the bottle from the dealer only says M5 on it, not M-V, so I guess I thought they were two different fluids. My bad ya'll!

This is what I used, part # 0000-77-112E-01. I agree that M-V and M5 are the same.

Doug

ATF.JPG

Last edited:
Well i have been running maxlife for the last 10k, i am one drain/fill shy of full replacement. No problems so far, trans shifts very smoothly ( as i feel it should) and the torque converter is more likely to lock up under load preventing a premature downshift. With the old fluid (dont know what type it was or how long it had been in there) the tc was VERY reluctant to lock up.

20k on Amsoil. Works like a champ. The new fluid requires about 3-4k miles to fully break-in. Car shifts great since. Prior to the change, you'd think something was wrong with the car.

Just to be clear, I flushed 2 (or was it 3) quarts of Castrol IMV, then 8 quarts of Amsoil, so 10 or 11 quarts at one go. I wanted all of the old stuff out. I don't consider it as wasting the Castrol but rather preserving the Amsoil ;).

I cannot relate to the smell issue some have expressed. Overall the Amsoil does have a strong oder but not an issue once it is in the car. In fact, impatient me blurbp some out of the fill tube - multiple times. I simple spray a little engine degreeser and hose off. In short, I do not have any smell from the beginning after buttoning her up.

Anyone else curently using Amsoil?? Feedback from any/all long term users, regardless of brand, would be helpful for others.

Last edited:
I do tranny fluid exchanges every 30-40k. I'm at about 140k on my 08 now with no transmission issues.

Mine is at 158,000 miles doing the same maintenance interval. I also did the filter around 100k and it looked clean.
Did you open up the filter to see it was clean? Do you happen to take some pics of this? My one regret was not keeping the old filter and opening it up to see how well the filter held up. How was the magnet in the pan for you? Mine at 60K had a decent build-up. I do not double the filter is poor quality but I wonder if the particles as too small for it to catch. Might make a case to add the inline filter b/c it is magnetized.

Yes the inside of the filter was pretty clean but no photos. The miles on our van involve about 60% highway driving. I had done a partial change to Mobil 1 ATF at 60k and 100k was the first full change. I let my most recent change go a little long at 155k and the Mobil 1 came out looking pretty clean. We'll see what the Valvoline looks like when it comes out in another 30-40k.

When I did the filter at 100k the magnet didn't look too bad.

20k on Amsoil. Works like a champ. The new fluid requires about 3-4k miles to fully break-in.

How do you notice a fluid "break-in"? I've never noticed any later changes with Castrol IMV or Mobil 1 - maybe because I only do 3.5 quart drain & replace 3 times over 15k miles, so it's not a big change, since it's a gradual change in new fluid.

Back