Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Recommendations. What fluid, cooler, filter? Share your experience on the Mz5!

2009 Mazda5 GT

Just mount one with a fan on it. I found some good ones for way under $100.

Then tell us how it turns out.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Thanks for posting the letter, the last time I checked, MaxLife didn't include M-V compatibility. I may try them next - however just bought 3 gallons of Castrol IMV for $63.36 delivered - can't beat the price. I may try Valvoline next, it seems to be be more reasonable than redline/royal purple/mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by GParktc View Post
    I spoke to a tech at valvoline who recomended maxlife dex/merc full synthetic and even emailed be a letter regarding its compadability. Not sure how to add an attachment from this app, I'll try on my home computer later. Here it is! Attachment 200471

2008 Mazda5 sport auto

Glad to inform... this is all new to me. I also discovered Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid on the valvoline website. I called the valvoline tech line back and they said that this was also compatible, and still recommended maxlife dex/merc because is was more readily available. When i asked them the difference in the 2 products he said that basically consumers wanted something that was more specific and that's what they came up with...and that the formulas were very similar... To me he pretty much said they were the same without actually saying it, however i did actually find it at my local oreilly for the same price as maxlife dex/merc and it did list mazda m-v on the back of the bottle.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...sion-fluid/137

Registered Member

I did a partial change using the trans drain plug at 50k and refilled with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The next change wasn't until 115k and I did a full change with the filter. My wife drives the wheels off the van and is probably 75% highway. Given our moderate temps in SoCal I wasn't surprised to see the fluid had good red color the second time, definitely darker than the new stuff but not black. With 120k now the trans shifts great, I used an autozone filter but be careful it lists the filter for the 4 speed auto in their computer. Make sure you cross reference for the 5 speed auto.

I might still install a cooler when I get the time.

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesideup View Post
    I did a partial change using the trans drain plug at 50k and refilled with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The next change wasn't until 115k and I did a full change with the filter. My wife drives the wheels off the van and is probably 75% highway. Given our moderate temps in SoCal I wasn't surprised to see the fluid had good red color the second time, definitely darker than the new stuff but not black. With 120k now the trans shifts great, I used an autozone filter but be careful it lists the filter for the 4 speed auto in their computer. Make sure you cross reference for the 5 speed auto.

I might still install a cooler when I get the time.
    Thanks for reporting back. If I understand you correctly, you did 3 quarts drail and fill at 50K with Mobile 1 ATF and again 3 quarts drail and fill at 115K with Mobile 1 ATF (you also dropped the pan to replace the filter), is that correct?

Do you recall what condition the filter was in? Did it look clogged or think it was unnecessary to replace? What year is your car?
    Stuff for sale:
    YellowSpeed DPS Coilovers - cheap

^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

Registered Member

At 50k I just did the partial change which was three quarts through the drain plug IIRC. At 115k I connected a hose to the cooler line and did a complete change of nine or ten quarts along with the filter. The filter didn't seem extremely dirty and the magnet only had a small amount of fuzz. The trans shifts the same as it did before which is to say like new.

Don't spill any of that fluid though, it took 2000 miles for the smell to go away from the teaspoon I spilled on top of the transmission.

It's an '08 and just turned 120k today. I'd day the filter was due for a change based on looking at it but someone could go 150k on the one I pulled out. Remember I live in a temperate climate and a lot of the driving is highway. It isn't a NY taxicab or towing houseboats across the Mojave.
    Last edited by Bluesideup; 02-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesideup View Post

Don't spill any of that fluid though, it took 2000 miles for the smell to go away from the teaspoon I spilled on top of the transmission.

Second that motion. I just did a 3x3x3 change on mine (drain and fill three quarts, drive and repeat two more times). I didn't spill any but the odor alone from the fluid in the drain out in the garage stunk up the house.

I used the Valvoline Import Multi. I'm at 38k miles now. I actually did have a little shudder in 5th gear when you get on the gas slightly. Seemed the torque converter had a tough time disengaging in 5th under load sometimes. That went away after the fluid change and feels the same (stock) otherwise.

Changed the ATF today (looked but not done the cooler or filter). Started late and decided to drop the pan and replace filter. Ran into a little snafu where the tip on 8 (of the 20) bolts got cross threaded when they came out but didn't realize till I was trying to button her up. Didn't want to force them back in and tried looking around local big chains but of course none of them has the required bolt and I am not about to improvise (genric bolt + washer). Will need to dop by Mazda in the morning to finish the job. More to come along with some surprises
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2009 Mazda5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Silentnoise713 View Post
    Changed the ATF today (looked but not done the cooler or filter). Started late and decided to drop the pan and replace filter. Ran into a little snafu where the tip on 8 (of the 20) bolts got cross threaded when they came out but didn't realize till I was trying to button her up. Didn't want to force them back in and tried looking around local big chains but of course none of them has the required bolt and I am not about to improvise (genric bolt + washer). Will need to dop by Mazda in the morning to finish the job. More to come along with some surprises
    Yippee! Aren't those jobs the best? I'm interested in seeing a picture of the filter if you have a chance.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 5

When I asked Mobil if they have tranny fluid for 2012-2013 mazda 5 this is the reply I received:

Mobil does not have a suitable product for your application, please procure from your local dealer.

MAZDA TSB: 05-002/11 - A/T - Correct Fluid Applications
    Last issued: 02/23/2011; supersedes the previous bulletin 05-005/08 issued on 04/11/08

This TSB applies to all 2004-2011 Mazda3s with A/T. Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing the ATF. Using ATF other than ATF M-V (Type M5) in automatic transmissions designed to use this fluid may cause shift quality complaints. Using ATF other than Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF in automatic transmissions designed to use these fluids may cause transmission damage.
    NOTE:
    ATF M-V (Type M5) is not the same fluid as Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF.
    ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater viscosity than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF at low temperatures.
    ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater anti-judder specification than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF.

The correct Mazda Service Fluid is ATF M-V (Type M5) part #0000-77-112E-01.

What I found so far:

Amsoil
    Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid (ATF) According to Amsoil, meets Mazda's ATF M-V (Type 5) specification.

Red Line
    Red line D4 ATF According to the manufacturer, this is a suitable replacement

Castrol
    Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF meets the Mazda M-V specification - Confirmed directly by Castrol customer service.

Valvoline
    Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF - meets the Mazda M-V specification - Confirmed directly by Valvoline customer service.

So just three others that are qualified except the Mazda one?
    Last edited by Vasy; 05-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.

I'm grinning ear to ear. OMG what a difference. It shifts so smooth and there is very little play going from Park to Drive. Previously I had to delay ~1.5 secs in neutral before engaging Drive to ensure a smooth transition -no more of that!

The fluid is a dark brown but doen't smell burnt. The magnet is COVERED with metal shaving and a nice coat on the bottom of the pan. But be warned, this is not as simple as other cars i've done in the past buy not hard either.

Some key things to do the job
    -Ford Focus gasket and filter -yes folks, the shoes does fit! None of that sealant maker crap. (no, it does not leak, 7-9 ft/lb is your friend)
    -Tap and die to repair the pan and bolt. New bolts alone is not going to help you by I guess you can jam it in and hope for the best.
    -Buffing disc
    -chalk

Pics to come later.
    Last edited by Silentnoise713; 05-14-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2009 Mazda5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Silentnoise713 View Post
    -Tap and die to repair the pan and bolt. New bolts alone is not going to help you by I guess you can jam it in and hope for the best.
    Huh?

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Quote Originally Posted by Vasy View Post
    So just two others that are qualified except the Mazda one?
    See above - Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Castrol TRANSMAX IMPORT MULTI–VEHICLE are also ok for use as seen by their respective vendor data sheets. Vavoline datasheet above, Castrol data sheet @ http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...s_ImportMV.pdf

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by kw_da View Post
    See above - Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Castrol TRANSMAX IMPORT MULTI–VEHICLE are also ok for use as seen by their respective vendor data sheets. Vavoline datasheet above, Castrol data sheet @ http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...s_ImportMV.pdf
    I saw that Castrol at my local Walmart but on the back of the bottle they did not list M-V in the long list and did not mention anyting about Mazda at all, so that put me off.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Quote Originally Posted by Vasy View Post
    I saw that Castrol at my local Walmart but on the back of the bottle they did not list M-V in the long list and did not mention anyting about Mazda at all, so that put me off.
    It's real confusing. The bottle can only list so much and the manufacturers keep changing the compatibility lists - Mobil 1 used have M-V compatibility, then they took it off? I think it has something to do with needing to pay for compatibility testing - M-V is a small market, so they don't pay for it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast