Mazda5 ATF Recommendations...Fluid, cooler, filter?

I hate that the splash shield needs to be removed to drain & Fill ATF?

For engine oil, there are holes to access without having to remove.

Yep. That's why I cut a hole in my 5's splash shield on the first trans fluid flush/change I did. Easy breezy after that, but still a bit sloppy as some tranny fluid inevitably runs into the splash shield.

Old EPC
nqkG2gJ.jpg

New EPC
BELarbj.jpg

Notice a difference between the other solenoids (hint: color)? The fluid is full of ferrous particles. Too small for the "filter" to capture, only magnet can do this job
CT3Wdc0.jpg

Completely cleaned this last time I dropped the pan. Currently at 115K
hL8JuYw.jpg

only elbow grease will clean the inside but the point is this car's trans is FREAKING TRASH!
7JI8fyq.jpg

Chang your trans fluid FREQUENTLY and add an external filter (like 'magnafine').

FWIW, the WIX filter and gasket kit feels like good quality.

Old EPC
nqkG2gJ.jpg

New EPC
BELarbj.jpg

Notice a difference between the other solenoids (hint: color)? The fluid is full of ferrous particles. Too small for the "filter" to capture, only magnet can do this job
CT3Wdc0.jpg

Completely cleaned this last time I dropped the pan. Currently at 115K
hL8JuYw.jpg

only elbow grease will clean the inside but the point is this car's trans is FREAKING TRASH!
7JI8fyq.jpg

Chang your trans fluid FREQUENTLY and add an external filter (like 'magnafine').

FWIW, the WIX filter and gasket kit feels like good quality.

Thanks - I need a Mazda specific mechanic in Northern California - did not find one - some I asked around told me that they specialize on Toy and Hondas. Yelp search didn't get me one.

Last time I went to the dealer and they flushed it (twice) to get the color right - right after I bought it.

I just drained and filled once.
I have a 2013 Mazda5 that I bought used and it when I checked the dipstick, the fluid was gray. No red at all. I had an MPV before so I changed the fluid by disconnecting the hose that was had fluid come out while running. I connected a tube to that to a oil catch pan. I ran the engine to get the fluid to pump out. About 4 1/4 quarts came out. Mainly black. I bought M5 from a dealership, which was around $9 a quart. That is red so I'm guessing my next fluid change should be reddish.
I used a funnel and a flexible piece of tubing so the fluid didn't splash in the engine bay while refilling the fluid.
It ran fine before and seems to be running fine after the fluid change.

I wanted to use a cheaper ATF but didn't see any brands that were compatible so I didn't want to risk it. I also did a tranny fluid change to another car I have with Valvoline ATF, which was $18 a gallon, big price difference.

I love your cockiness to all your responses, must be an engineer thing. Anyway, I don't think Mazda MV is garbage due to the meer fact that not many other brands of fluids can meet its specs. I think the real problem exists on most of "US" abusing our MZ5s and not doing a simple drain and refill every 15k miles even if the damn manual doesn't tell you so. Alas to each its own.
You are asking to do "drain and refill every 15k miles"?
Which brand fluid?

M5 is $12/qt at my local dealership.

But even going by your $20/qt, do the math. Once every 30,000 miles, you spend $80 on some ATF vs $24, a difference of $56. That's an extra $2.34/month for the correct fluid vs risking damaging a minimum $3000 transmission using the wrong stuff.

M5 is $12/qt at my local dealership.

But even going by your $20/qt, do the math. Once every 30,000 miles, you spend $80 on some ATF vs $24, a difference of $56. That's an extra $2.34/month for the correct fluid vs risking damaging a minimum $3000 transmission using the wrong stuff.
Could you pls give me the part # for the ATF from Mazda?
What is the name of your dealership?

This is the stuff. Most dealerships are +/- a couple of bucks from one another.
Thanks all and specially @theblooms

I used to do drain and fill every 2 yrs on my Integra but here I need to remove the splash guard - mean I need to go under the car a lot! Dealer gave me a good price - receipt shows they removed 3 qts at 5year mark!

I found this method - someone had his plastic tube pieces got inside the tranny - others say, the magnet needs to be cleaned. The most they could remove was 2qts. Sharing it anyways
<www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtYq4dh6Rp0>

I would like to know tips on removing splashguard - I have jacks but no jack stand. For engine oil I pay $25 and give parts to get it done. But tranny, no one will do it for $25 labor! Hence wondering what I am going to do next time!

Splash guard is held on by 2 clips and 11 bolts.
2 clips at the back.
2 bolts on each side hold it to the inner fender well.
3 main bolts bolt it to the core support. These are up inside of little "cups". You'll see them when you get under there.
Then across the front are 4 screws.

An electric drill makes fast work of removal and installation. Having never done it before, it'll take you 180 seconds to remove it. The second time you remove it, it's out in under 60.

Back