Blown engine, how much is the body worth?

shannono

:
2007 Mazda 3, 5 dr GT
Hi,

Well, I loaned my car out to my father-in-law and he unknowingly tried to drive the car around in manual mode (its an automatic) and didn't realize he needed to shift the gears himself. After a couple of miles driving it in first gear he blew the engine! I don't know for sure that that is what did it or if it was just coincidence but i'm sure it contributed to the cars early demise. I had checked the oil about a week and a half before and it was good but when I got the car back it had no oil at all! It had 130,000 miles on it and had been relatively trouble free that whole time with the exception of a couple of bad batteries and a broken motor mount.

I have been debating whether or not I should put in a new engine in or not, but I honestly don't have the money right now. I think I should just sell it but I am not sure what it is worth. Any thoughts? It is a 2007 Mazda 3 5 Door Grand Touring with leather, sunroof bose sound, Heated Seats etc.. It was not it the best shape but no body damage decent interior, a couple of scratches on the paint and pealing clear coat on the spoiler.

Probably about half the value of the car if it had a good engine. It will probably be hard to sell.
Look in the NADA price guide to determine it's value with a good engine. Be sure to adjust for
condition and miles.

Clifton

Back