Mazda6 brochure and fuel economy numbers

MPG estimates are great but 184hp especially on the GT that weighs similar as a Kia Optima seems underwhelming made worse by the optional I-Eloop. They should've given in 200hp, kept a good chunk of oomph and the hit same mpg as a 4 cyl. Accord/Fusion 1.6T rather than try beat the Altima.

Without knowing the whole story (HP/torque curve), we won't know yet. Let's see the 0-60 times.

Remember when the 1st gen 6 had 160 hp? I doubt that they'd be able to pull the numbers that they're claiming if people were chasing HP ratings.

I can't wait to see what the figures are on the Skyactiv-D. I'm guessing it's going to be about 32/44, which would be awesome.

MPG estimates are great but 184hp especially on the GT that weighs similar as a Kia Optima seems underwhelming made worse by the optional I-Eloop. They should've given in 200hp, kept a good chunk of oomph and the hit same mpg as a 4 cyl. Accord/Fusion 1.6T rather than try beat the Altima.

I don't think one would feel the difference on 16hp in a car that size. It weighs less and with proper gearing, it may even feel faster. Also, why would i-eloop make it worse?

I really like the styling of this car.

I mean, obviously, it's not as good as a fusion these days, but certinally better than all it's japanese brethren, and possibly better than the malibu.

I also LOVE the fact that the MTX is both a 6 speed, and it's not banished to only the entry-level base models.

The single 184hp engine selection gives me pause however. Brands that limit themselves to 4 cylinder options at least have mutliple 4 cylinders in place to take up previous V6 premium engine selections.

Without knowing the whole story (HP/torque curve), we won't know yet. Let's see the 0-60 times.
184HP and max torque in the middle of your band is going to net you mid-high 8's or low 9s in a car of this weight. Which is simply adequate for daily driving, but imo, under performing for a car that's likely going to command nearly 30K asking price. V6 Camry's and accords pop off 5 second times these days.

Last edited:
Wait for the Sky-D to come out then. Only 173 HP but 310 ft-lb torque.

I'm thinking the 0-60 will be in the high 7s, low 8s. I'd say between 7.5 to 8.2. Which when you consider 85-90% of midsize sedans are sold with 4-cyl engines (even when a V-6 option is offered) it's not a deal-killer. I think the diesel should satisfy those wanting a "beefier" feel. There may even be a turbocharged gas engine coming at some point in the future as a Speed 6 or an upgrade option. Speculation on my part, but I'm thinking we haven't seen the last of the Skyactiv family, gas or diesel.

184HP and max torque in the middle of your band is going to net you mid-high 8's or low 9s in a car of this weight. Which is simply adequate for daily driving, but imo, under performing for a car that's likely going to command nearly 30K asking price. V6 Camry's and accords pop off 5 second times these days.

The take rate on the V6 models is very low making it not worth it for Mazda to put one in the 6 for only the North American market. Everywhere else, the 6 has the 2.0, 2.5 gas and 2.2 diesel, all being 4cylinders. I never understand why Americans/Canadians are so attached to their more powerful engines.

Fuel is cheap in North America, for now. V6s are being replaced by turbo'ed 4 bangers and V8s are being replaced by turbo'ed V6s.

I want a ridiculously powerful weekend car one day.

The take rate on the V6 models is very low making it not worth it for Mazda to put one in the 6 for only the North American market. Everywhere else, the 6 has the 2.0, 2.5 gas and 2.2 diesel, all being 4cylinders. I never understand why Americans/Canadians are so attached to their more powerful engines.

My Sonata isn't perfect, but I have no complaints about the power & performance of the 2.0 turbo. The number of people with the mentality "there's no replacement for displacement" is shrinking by the day. Long-term reliability remains to be seen somewhat, but as long as you're smart about the maintenance (i.e. regular oil changes, synthetic oil, etc.) I think they'll be fine. Even the more expensive luxury brands are downsizing their engines to turbo fours and sixes from V-8s.

Drool.

392972_549644751731186_2092367945_n.jpg

I can't wait to see what the figures are on the Skyactiv-D. I'm guessing it's going to be about 32/44, which would be awesome.

The EU fuel rating for the 6 high output diesel with has been reported at 4.5L/100km (52mpg) as compared to 6.3L/100km (37.3mpg) for the 2.5L gas engine. Granted the EU test cycle generally gives numbers that are more optimistic than the US test cycle.... but that is 40% better than the gas mill.

A 40% gain over 26/39 mpg works out to 36/53 mpg... which I'm sure won't be the the result given the differences in test cycle. But a rating of 44-45mpg highway seems entirely possible.

That would put the 6 ahead of every midsize competitor apart from the Fusion Hybrid, which apparently falls well shy of its 47mpg rating in the real world.

Jesus, why does everyone just post to b**** and moan about "OMGNOTNUFFPOWER"? The new Accord with a four-cylinder and a stick does 0 - 60 in under 7 seconds. The new Altima with its four-cylinder and CVT does it in about 7 flat. Both have 2.4 and 2.5 liter I4 engines and most likely weigh more than the Mazda6. If you're so uptight about how much power you can get, there's the diesel coming at year-end, or there are other cars you can buy with more power. Christ.

Add in the fact that new automatic transmissions are becoming more and more efficient, bringing about quicker acceleration and better fuel mileage than their previous counterparts... Many arguments of today will have very little merit later in life.

I-Eloop is supposed to help power the electronics in the car, which mean more of the engines power goes to powering the car more. It'd be impressive if they got upgrades for the diesel engine already especially if they can match BMW's N47 twin turbo diesel I4 that's sold in Europe and rated at 218hp/332 lb-ft torque. Shouldn't be a problem from both transmissions to handle all that torque.

Regarding post #15, yes, pay to play, plenty of more powerful and more expensive sport sedans to select from.

Last edited:
Back