AN7's Mazda2 1.5 Turbo - Build Log -

Interesting. When the e-manage was "hot", i was either working with AFC's, or MoTeCs. I know, big swing. Once AEM brought their units out I've never looked back.

Can you raise the rev limiter at all with the emanage?

Yes you can
so the emanage ultimate is your piggyback and is highly customizable? im still looking for what a good piggyback/ecu will be and so far was just looking at AEM but if there are others id like to compare.

Hi Konstantinos; Congratulation for your turbo build

mine is standby for other project that I had been started five year ago (1966 Mustang)

greetings

so the emanage ultimate is your piggyback and is highly customizable? im still looking for what a good piggyback/ecu will be and so far was just looking at AEM but if there are others id like to compare.

It really depends on your goals and budget. It sounds like AN7 got a smoking deal on the emanage and it does what he needs it to.

I love AEM's EMS, but it's not always easy to justify. The Cobb system looks economical and functional, but I have no experience with it.

It's worth a call to them. I would expect the 3 ecu to be very similar, there is no reason for mazda to make them radically different.

It's worth a call to them. I would expect the 3 ecu to be very similar, there is no reason for mazda to make them radically different.

it is wayyyyy different than the 3.

You can work it with a piggy like the OP did, but the issue is your pushing the factory ecu down into fail mode, and tuning on top of the limp maps. Works ok, but if for some reason you need headroom(atmo or temp changes, as well as fuel quality), your in serious trouble with KR

It really depends on your goals and budget. It sounds like AN7 got a smoking deal on the emanage and it does what he needs it to.

I love AEM's EMS, but it's not always easy to justify. The Cobb system looks economical and functional, but I have no experience with it.
That is true. In any other case I was going with the AEM FIC or maybe with just programming the stock ecu.

it is wayyyyy different than the 3.

You can work it with a piggy like the OP did, but the issue is your pushing the factory ecu down into fail mode, and tuning on top of the limp maps. Works ok, but if for some reason you need headroom(atmo or temp changes, as well as fuel quality), your in serious trouble with KR
Can you explain this a bit more?

What would you like to know?

You said
your pushing the factory ecu down into fail mode, and tuning on top of the limp maps.

How your pushing the stock ecu to fail mode?
The only check that i have is for the catalyst converter(P0420: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold) so i assume that the factory ecu is pretty happy from what is going on, so i believe that any changes in temp or gas quality the stock ecu will manage them.

unfortunately thats what most of the piggy back builders would have you believe.But here is the problem; if the ecu sees anything outside it operating parameters, it changes down one map, it then checks and does this again, until it runs out of steps. In your case the problem is once the ecu sees any kr, it will change down to the next map, then repeat. What ends up happening is you end up wih a base of say -5 deg at .5 load /2500 instead of the +12 deg at the same load/rpm. Why is this important you ask? Well if you are at the lowest retard map the ecu has, and you still have KR, thats bad. Also, because of the multi layered system, you will never know exactly what timing map your on

Now all that said, if you richen the living crap out of the fuel(lower than 11.3), and retard the limp mode maps with a piggy back under boost, the engine will more than likely live. You will be giving away a HUGE amout of potential torque, but it should live.

In the old days, piggybacks were more than fine, but not a good idea on a late model

Ok, i see what are you saying.
In my case The ecu is running on standard maps. The advance maps and fuel maps are not changed. No retarted timming or +-14.8% ltfts on full throttle after 4000miles. Maybe I am lucky, but everething is running as it should.

Ok, i see what are you saying.
In my case The ecu is running on standard maps. The advance maps and fuel maps are not changed. No retarted timming or +-14.8% ltfts on full throttle after 4000miles. Maybe I am lucky, but everething is running as it should.

your running a 14.8 trim!!!! LOL You should not see any trim at wot.PERIOD

And, BTW, how do you know your on standard maps? Do you know what the standard map is? And which one; HL CL high Knock, HL CL low Knock, Standard timing map for set 1,2,3,4?

BTW, how are you measuring KR?

Dude, I am NOT having 14.8% trims. My trims on wot are 0 and you are wrong. Bone stock the 2 at wot have negative fuel trims.
I know about the maps cause i have logs from dashhawk from 2008 to today. Nothing is changed under part throttle from what I can see.
If stock ecu retard timming I am gonna see it through the emanage ;)

Dude, I am NOT having 14.8% trims. My trims on wot are 0 and you are wrong. Bone stock the 2 at wot have negative fuel trims.
I know about the maps cause i have logs from dashhawk from 2008 to today. Nothing is changed under part throttle from what I can see.
If stock ecu retard timming I am gonna see it through the emanage ;)

your talking about an old Demio, not a current mazda2? 2008? correct? Sorry, I missed that fact somewhere

Different animal

BTW, if you have ANY TRIM showing at all, even on the old processor based ecu, you have an issue. The ECU on your car does not hit OL until 75% throttle, or about 4300 revs. At which point the fuel is commanded to the OL map based solely on throttle plate position, but corrected via feedback from the WRAF. Once the lambda(afr) reaches a set threshold, then the timing will go to OL status. The timing and fuel DO NOT have anything common as far as open loop, and infact, there is no true open loop( non feedback) for the fuel.

Your car (assuming you are running an 08 EU car) has a slightly different version of the same logic path, but the above applies. I think I recall that the EU version used a wide band front, rather than the WRAF here in the states. If thats the case, you can get away with what your running with little or no problems. However the later sh7059 based system is MUCH more adaptive, and does not play well with piggybacks

Back